Notices

Battling the cravings

Old 09-05-2008, 05:15 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Hey Bob if you are into cycling and like the AA meetings maybe you could combine the two!!!! Find some other meetings further out then a mile and make a commitment to go.

What is the worst that could happen? Staying sober and getting in better shape is what I call a "two for", two for the price of one.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:54 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Well I managed to give up for 4 days. I am starting again from day 1 now. I tried to make it to an AA meeting on thursday but got lost on the way Will try again.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:50 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to know you are still trying...
Sobriety Rocks!
Old 09-15-2008, 01:52 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Good to see you got up, dusted yourself off and are on the road again.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:26 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Hi Bob I'm a newbie at this too, today is day 15. I also experienced a TON of anxiety, like.. getting so anxious I was throwing up several times a week (of course I didn't consider it was the liquor!). I drank to quell the anxiety, of course it worked, and hence my addiction grew stronger. Amazing thing.. I quit and my anxiety literally disappeared in a few days. As did my insomnia. I also excercise every day after work (when I would typically be buying a bottle and downing it the second I got home), until dinner time, and it feels so good. No anxiety, restful sleep, and healthy exercise... sounds so simple, but it's the hardest change I have ever made. I wish you the best of luck. Well no.. not luck, choices. You can do it, you're stronger than liquid!
Old 09-16-2008, 01:25 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind messages. I had a setback last night as my new housemate took me out and we played pool. I started off drinking coke but somehow ended up drinking alcohol and we stayed out late going to various bars and clubs. Anyhow, I'm still giving up and starting afresh from today.

The way I see it is two steps forward and one step back. That I've managed to go for days at a time is an achievement, and I'm still making progress despite the relapses.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:45 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Good - never give up!
Old 09-17-2008, 07:53 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flutter View Post
Hi Bob Amazing thing.. I quit and my anxiety literally disappeared in a few days. As did my insomnia. I also excercise every day after work (when I would typically be buying a bottle and downing it the second I got home), until dinner time, and it feels so good. No anxiety, restful sleep, and healthy exercise... sounds so simple, but it's the hardest change I have ever made.

It does sound so simple! But your right, its one of the hardest things I have ever done. I get up at 6:00 in the morning and walk and I feel SO much better. I had horrible anxiety, its pretty much gone, sleeping much better, remember going to bed, getting up feeling good....why would I want it any other way!? Day 7 for me!
Old 09-17-2008, 07:54 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Keep trying Bob!
Old 09-21-2008, 11:52 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Lost it today. Started drinking at about noon and my parents came over after I'd drunk 2 beers. I have a lot of pent up anger towards them and I ended up getting angry with them over what I perceived to be hypocrisy on their behalf. I was quite abusive with them.

Now I'm feeling guilty and alone. I don't really have anyone else at the moment, my wife has gone away for six months.

There's an AA meeting on but I'm so tired I think I'll pass out soon. Things will look better in the morning.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:02 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bob1 View Post
Lost it today. Started drinking at about noon and my parents came over after I'd drunk 2 beers. I have a lot of pent up anger towards them and I ended up getting angry with them over what I perceived to be hypocrisy on their behalf. I was quite abusive with them.

Now I'm feeling guilty and alone. I don't really have anyone else at the moment, my wife has gone away for six months.

There's an AA meeting on but I'm so tired I think I'll pass out soon. Things will look better in the morning.

I was wondering when you were going to post again.Thats too bad about the relapse.Keep trying , you can do it.
How many beers did you have total today ?
Old 09-21-2008, 12:05 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

4 pints(ish) of beer and two pints of cider. Drinking tea now to sober up but I'll fall asleep soon. I'm repeating myself now
Old 09-21-2008, 12:07 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

i forgot that its night time in the UK now.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:32 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Yeah it's 8.30pm. Went to bed at 3.00 this morning and was up at 8.30. I also cycled 100 miles yesterday and I have a slight cold, so my bed is calling! Will go to bed and read for a bit.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:20 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I have been fighting the cravings with canned peaches. "Peaches come in a can, they were put there by a man, in a factory downtown". Part of a song that always put me in a good mood cause it was so silly.