Notices

IMHomerSimpson has changed...

Old 09-03-2008, 08:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober member

Thumbs up IMHomerSimpson has changed...

Hi guys and gals

Its me,I felt the need to start over here and lose all the negative in my life.Im sure you understand.

Im 6 days sober today!!

Went to another AA meeting this morning but left in less than 5 minutes,reason being there were 2 drunk guys staggering around the room and I started getting irritated when they kept staring at me.This was an innercity meeting,I just dont have much patience with people right now so I figured before I say sumfin Ill regret,Ill just move on.

I have a meeting tonight where Ill recognize some faces so I just wait until later.I feel pretty good,still in major pain from broken ribs but overall not too bad.I went shopping today and bought some new clothes,just for the "new" me! lol

Ill be in touch.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Patrick you did the right thing by leaving in that case. Hang tough, go to the meetings that you find hope in. Beleive it or not, one day you may be the guy that those drunks want to be like!!! Your avatar is different! LOL
Old 09-03-2008, 08:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Patrick. Nice symbolic gesture! You're doing something great. Keep it up, you're an inspiration.
nl.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great to meet the 'new' you, Homer. You sound wonderful. Well done on your 6 days.
I'm glad you've got a meeting planned for tonight.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
TruthJustice

Originally Posted by nolonger View Post
Keep it up, you're an inspiration.
nl.
You took the words out of my mouth, congrats Patrick.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Go Homer!
You are taking care of yourself today, good for you!!
Old 09-03-2008, 09:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober member

Just for today! thats what a guy told me yesterday,he said dont try to think so far ahead because we just dont know what can happen,but as long as we/I dont drink today we are gonna be ok.Made much sense to me.

I talked to the bar manager today and apologized for not leaving when asked last thursday,he said he didnt want me to get arrested but since the cops came while I was still fighting back the officer HAD to arrest me.He understood my point of getting scared when I got approached and said if it wasnt for an off-duty cop jumping on me he doesnt know what would have happened because they couldnt control me.I cant say what would have happened either,I was capable of anything because I was in a adrenaline blackout,Im just happy that this cop was big enough to sort of hold me down with the rest of them until police came.Its kinda scary knowing instead of breach of peace I could have been facing assault or even manslaughter charges,I was that out of control!

Ive learned more in this past 6 days than I have in past 6 years! Its unfortunate that my getting sober had to start this way but if it didnt play out like it did I can guarantee Id still be drinking.

My family is really proud of me so far,but not as proud as I am for myself.I feel so at ease knowing I dont have to continue forcing beer down my throat just to survive the day,it may sound confusing to you but it makes much sense in my mind.

I have to get some phone #'s soon tho cuz eventually Im gonna get hit with a craving,Ill hint around tonite.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Good job Patrick! I like the new look and you sound like a new person. Keep going to those meetings and keep posting here about your progress. You're an inspiration to me too!
Old 09-03-2008, 10:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow - I am impressed with the amends you made to that bartender.

I agree that it's wise to get those phone numbers. Come right out and ask for them if they aren't offered.

Keep up the great work.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Change is good

I've watched you for a long time, it is good to see you taking some action. I felt moved to make a clarification that is often confused amongst alcoholics. Cravings only occur when alcohol is present in the body, this is what makes us different than regular drinkers. You know when you walk into the bar and plan on having 2 or 3 at the most and then drink the night away? Craving kicked in and off we go, the Dr.s Opinion in the Big Book goes into great detail about this. What often gets mistaken as a craving is the obsession of the mind to want to drink.

Your problem now centers in the mind, at some point, taking a drink will seem like a good idea again... unless you do something to change the mind. AA's 12 steps do exactly that. I'm not pushing anything on you, just giving some information, use it as you will. I am glad you are sober, if you are like me, the world is probably a safer place as a result.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober member

i used to get angry when people would speak of AA to me,probably because I was so depressed from drinking and those people were happy! Im open ears to everything and anything now,Im on my way up and could use any advice anytime.Since Im doing this one day at a time now its NOT a struggle,only wish it was 10 years earlier so I didnt have to miss so much life,but Im not gonna dwell on my past,thats useless.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ah yes the "bar room" fight I've been in my share of those. Complete with pool stick, broken beer bottles ect.......

tib
Old 09-03-2008, 12:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome, Homer38. .

"gratulations on them six days.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Homer,

I had to post and tell you that I am so happy to see the change in you! I'm from CT...maybe I'll meet ya at a meeting sometime.

Keep going!
Old 09-03-2008, 02:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by Homer38 View Post
i used to get angry when people would speak of AA to me,probably because I was so depressed from drinking and those people were happy!
Yeah that used to p_ss me off too, those happy laughing AA'ers! But they had what I wanted. They were peaceful, calm, gentle, loving, and tolerant. And most of all they were having fun being sober :wtf2 So I kept going back to those &^%$ meetings and after awhile I started enjoying myself too. It wasn't easy, it took a lot of work and some of it was painful, but it was worth every bit of effort I put into it. I wouldn't trade the experience or life I have now for anything.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

..nothing like a new shirt and a New Life!!!
Old 09-03-2008, 05:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

glad you are sober and going to AA homer

really good to hear you talking about "one day at a time" too
Old 09-03-2008, 05:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
not a greeter

I am so happy for you and your family Homer. Here's to getting to know the new you better .
Old 09-03-2008, 06:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Very interseting Rob, the cravings only when alcohol is present. I am trying to figure out where I fall into the whole social, binge, alcoholic category. I know I am not heading down a healthy path. I'm not gonna hog this thread about me, cuz Hommer you Rock!! I so know you can nab this thing..keep it up!!!
Old 09-03-2008, 07:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
ever closer...

I grew up in CT, a good thing for us alcoholics is that in those nice New England towns there are plenty of AA meetings to choose from!
I have lots of choices near my home in NC but there are tons of people that have to travel quite a ways to a meeting.
Homer I'm sure you can find a good one some shere along Long Island Sound!
Glad your back and ready for a new U!