Notices

Day 4 - I'm Scared.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4 - I'm Scared.

This is my 4th day sober now.

Quick background: I went to the public alcohol service that recommended I stop drinking as soon as possible. They are prescribing me with naltrexone but in the meantime recommend I go to my GP for detox assistance because it could take a while for the funding to come through. He told me to tell him that it should be supervised detox probably with vallium, and that I'd need to take some time off work. He said he was only not admitting me into residential because my (wonderful) partner was with me and is here to hold my hand.

My GP said 'oh no, thats over the top, heres some sleeping pills and a weeks worth of child strength antidepressants, you'll be fine, just carry on as normal.'
-----------------------------------------------------------

The first few days were okay, having trouble concentrating, cant remember large parts of the days, thats okay...

but last night I had trouble sleeping, I woke up to *seizures at least 6 times, I'm exhausted. So I had a quick sleep in thismorning but seizured out of that too. Ive been up for 4 hours now and have had no problems apart from being tired. I'm dont want to go throught this again tonight. At one stage last night I was really scared that I was going to continue like this for the rest of my life and have to be institutionalised.

*petit-mal/complex partial seizures (no shaking)

Has anyone else experienced this? Does it go away soon?
Old 09-02-2008, 03:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This Is In All Caps Because I Am Yelling

If You Are Having Seizures Please Go To The Er Right Away. Detoxing From Alcohol Can Be Deadly And Seizures Are Not Good. You Need Medical Help More Than What You Are Getting.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ok, apparently all caps feature doesn't work but please, please please got to an ER right away and tell them exactly what you just wrote. If nobody can drive you please call an ambulance.

Please keep us posted,
Kellye
Old 09-02-2008, 05:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hopefully you've already gone to the ER but if not, PLEASE DO. I totally back up Kellye, seizures can sometimes be deadly, not always, but people have died from alcohol withdrawal seizures. Don't take a chance, I'm sure the Doctors will be glad that you admitted yourself. The withdrawal process can be made more comfortable under correct medical supervision.

Good luck and God bless.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Seizures are TOTALLY UNNECESSARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just went through a 7 day medical detox and I went in shaking like a leaf with liver disease, GIRD, and a host of other problems. They told me that had I not detoxed medically I stood a very good chance of not making it through the process. Surprisingly, it was fairly painless as I was on heavy medication for the first few days that prevented any chance of seizures and they monitored my vital signs several times per day. Your blood pressure could spike, your liver and/or kidneys could fail, you can have the grand daddy of all seizures and die with a brain anurism.

This is how is was explained to me. Alcohol detox is the most deadly form of detox. Crack, heroin or Meth detox just sucks but it will not kill you. Alcohol detox can. Here is how they explained it to me. We all start off as cucumbers in life. You can do all of the drugs you want but once you detox you are still a cucumber. With excessive alcohol consumption you become a pickle. Even after you detox you will still be a pickle and can never reverse the effect to become a cucumber again. That is why even after detox you may have some medical ailments that must be treated.

You are not John Wayne. No need to do this on your own. Go and get medical help NOW and stop torturing yourself.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey 2much,

If you are out there and are able please update us on how you are. You have me worried for you!

Take care,
Kellye
Old 09-03-2008, 05:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

2much I pray you have gone to the ER due to the siezures, most GPs do not know much of anything about alcholism.

The siezures are called DTs and can and do kill alcoholics, I pray yo are well. I had a medically supervised detox and the meds they gave me kept the DTs and most of the shakes away, they also kept my blood pressure under constant control in detox.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sorry for delay in replying. I havnt gone to ER. I have repeatedly called the government alcohol services, though and they admited to me yesterday that they had been changing systems and I had fallen through the cracks and had no record of me, even though I saw them for 6 months about 6 months ago and have seen them twice in the last few weeks. She said they were sorry.

So, I am allowed an appointment on the 26th of September. Thats the best they can do aparantly. The woman I spoke to was horrible to speak to, she was really really patronising and talked to me like I was a complete idiot. Reeeealllly sllooowwwlllyy and simmmmpppplllyy.

I didnt tell her about the seizures but she told me not its probably best not to stop 'taking the alcohol' until the appointment.

She said that I should consider seeing a new gp if my gp didnt see alcoholism as a serious illness. I agree with this. But it is so difficult talking to people about it. And when you get "well just stop drinking its easy" thrown in your face its hard to go back and ask for it again. GP's dont state on their appointment cards weather they reeeeally believe alcohol addiction is something serious or something you should get over.

The woman that got me on track last time from the government alcohol service is now off on maternity leave. I liked her. She was sympathetic without being stupid about it. I gave up for 6 months. And I felt awsome.

I had been to other agencies before that, that got me to go through a workbook with them once a week which was rediculous. How is telling them what I do, helping me stop doing what I'm doing? I know exactly what I do and what is wrong with it. Grr.

I have had a drink every 2nd or 3rd night since the last post and I havnt had any seizures... I guess thats why the lady said its best I 'dont stop taking the alcohol' until the next appointment. Im just so tired.

I am very lucky that I have an understanding partner. He is what is getting me through this until I can get to my solution.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to know you are seeing someone soon.

Best wishes to you and your partner.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Glad you are still around and taking actions, you know I bet if you mentioned the siezures you would get in quicker.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
TruthJustice

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
Glad you are still around and taking actions, you know I bet if you mentioned the siezures you would get in quicker.
I agree, definitely mention that to them!

When I called for help and they couldn't get me in, I was told not to stop drinking my normal amounts until I could get in (it was a week out).

I hope you're doing well...