Notices

i thought i had a anxiety problem..

Old 09-02-2008, 11:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy i thought i had a anxiety problem..

I stubbled accross this site seeking advise on how to stop my weekly binge of 10 -20 standard drinks...i would wake up after the binge like the other posts (i thought i was alone with these feelings) ...it feels great to know if i give up drinking i will rid myself of the anxiety /panic attacks...my day after a big night would consist of huge panic attacks and i wouldnt eat a thing for 2 days,i would hide in my room all day..then i would struggle going to work for days after.
I know its going to be hard but i believe i can do it! If someone strongly pushes a beer on me i will tell the i have a drinking problem..the thing is i never admitted that i did and its taken me a solo trip to europe to finally admit to myself that drinking is my number one health issue and not anxiety!
so i thank you all who have posted there comments on this website you have inspired me to start living ! Mwah!:ghug
Old 09-02-2008, 11:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR...

I moved your post so that more members will see
it and respond.

Good to have you here with us
Old 09-02-2008, 11:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Hi Paz,
Welcome, welcome, welcome!
Oh man can I relate to that panic and anxiety that you describe when I was drinking.
Thank you for reminding me. I never want to go back to that.
I have a little less than 4 months sober and I can not believe the change already.
Please keep coming back.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

its so nice to talk to people that understand! thanks
Old 09-02-2008, 02:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Isn't it strange how the light bulb goes off and you think, how could I not have seen that before? I never related my anxiety to my drinking. In fact, I drank to overcome anxiety so it just didn't connect for a long time that drinking was the problem. I'm glad you got your AH-HA moment!! Welcome to this website. Don't think I could have remained this long? (ha...6 weeks is long for me I guess) without these supportive folks.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think that a lot of people use alcohol as a form of self treatment for anxiety and depression. The problem is that it only gives short term releif, when the alcohol wears off the anxiety and depression are 10 times worse then before you drank. I just came off a major binge and now I have not only anxiety and depression but I also have the added bonus of insomnia, what a great combo.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I did the same thing. I used alcohol to over come anxiety and depression not realizing the drinking assisted in making both worse. My depression and anxiety come from somewhere else however, the drinking made them much worse. I am so much happier now without all three.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

My long term depression is why I decided to committ to AA
Many of you know the misery-go-round cycle

You feel low...drink to feel good...pass out ...awake and
feel low....round and round up and down.

No more for me...I now live in peace with joy!
Hope everyone finds their way into healthy sobriety...
Old 09-03-2008, 01:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
My long term depression is why I decided to committ to AA
Many of you know the misery-go-round cycle
You feel low...drink to feel good...pass out ...awake and
feel low....round and round up and down.
I have never heard it put that way but it definately describes what I went through. I may have to borrow that phrase from you time to time.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

before I ever took a drink,I had the anxiety and depression-booze helped,so I thought.
after I sobered up after 20 yrs of hard drinking,life seemed great.Sobriety was so good.Then one day I realized some of it still pops up from time to time.
I have come to realize mine comes from within.I enrolled in a program "outside AA " which is non medical and it taught me to recognize it,see what causes it, and what to do about it.Life is better!I created my own depression,anxiety and the like.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

pazman welcome to SR, keep in mind you are not alone in this, just stay in the day and just take life one day at a time and just do not drink one day at a time, things do get better.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey Pazman,

I remember those days of panic attacks following huge benders, shaking like a leaf due to withdrawals, jumping like a jackrabbit if anything barely touched me. Invariable I would get stuck driving in the rain which is bad enough sober but so much worse in post-bender panic attack mode. Thank you so much for the reminder. I wish you well as you seek the sober path. It is so worth it! Freedom from post-bender panic attacks is only one of the benefits but it is a large one.

Take care,
Kellye