Notices

Thinking about AA?

Old 09-01-2008, 11:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thinking about AA?

I can only speak for myself, but.....

I went to my first AA meeting last night, after a friend who is in NA urged me to attend.
I felt nothing but love, respect and support and it has helped me almost more than I can say. I spent a significant portion of it in tears, mostly tears of releief that these people know what it is like and perhaps understand what I am going through.

I urge anyone thinking about it to attend a meeting, and is possible, more then one. Do not worry about what people think of you, nobody there will judge you. Do not worry about the 12 step program, nobody is going to push it on you. Do not worry about "The 'G' Word", see above.

My first meeting. But not my last. Strength in numbers....

Thank you AA.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I am so happy for you. It sounds like you found the same thing I did in my first meeting....hope.
I am glad I found that and kept coming back long enough to start working the program. I too had to set aside my preconcieved perceptions regarding the word "God" as there is a difference between the word "God" in AA and the "God" word of religion. The great thing is each person utilizes their own perception of a power greater than themselves. For some that is the traditional Judeo Christian God of their childhood and for others, athiests and agnostics it is whatever they feel is more powerful than them which could be god (Group Of Drunks) or whatever.

Take care and keep coming back. Life does get better.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by ytytyt View Post
Do not worry about the 12 step program, nobody is going to push it on you. Do not worry about "The 'G' Word", see above.
I wish that had been my experience, but unfortunately it never has.

Last edited by doorknob; 09-02-2008 at 03:04 AM.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

NA/AA all the way!

Greatest show on Earth...!

Keep coming back.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yt,i just started aa myself,the 1st meeting was strange,all these alcoholics smiling and happy! everybody welcomed me but in a non-pressuring way,nothing what i had expected.If you know me Ive ran from the idea of AA for over 5 years now trying alternative methods,guess what? they didnt work!

I have faith that this may be my solution.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Originally Posted by IMHomerSimpson View Post
yt,i just started aa myself,the 1st meeting was strange,all these alcoholics smiling and happy! everybody welcomed me but in a non-pressuring way,nothing what i had expected.If you know me Ive ran from the idea of AA for over 5 years now trying alternative methods,guess what? they didnt work!

I have faith that this may be my solution.
Love ya Homer - this was my experience what the OP posted...I cried throughout...finally hope.

cathy31
x
Old 09-02-2008, 06:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

This is great news. I've been toying with the idea of going to a meeting but have been too chicken to actually GO. I'm glad to hear you had such a positive first experience.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you had a good experience there. Best wishes to you.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Me and AA
Old 09-02-2008, 09:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

That has been my experience. I am so happy you had the same!
I am really sorry to those who do not have this same experience when they first walk in the rooms of AA. I have been so blessed with the AA fellowship in my area. After 4 months, many of these folks know me better or as well as my best friends. I know they would do anything for me and I for them. There is strength in numbers! :bounce
Old 09-02-2008, 11:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

TryingSoHard.... Please, please, for me, just go to one. It might just change your life. My struggle pales compared to others, but there were people there who had literally had their lives saved by AA.
If it doesn't work for you, well, you blew 90 minutes. I think you can afford to take that chance.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

TryingSoHard, please don't let me discourage you. That's not my intention. The love and support is wonderful, and I've always felt that. You really should go to a few and see what you think.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

Every once and awhile I go to an AA meeting and there seems to be this ONE GUY that is too busy with his own problems to listen to others, and even though he doesn't say it out loud he is critical of certain people who share.

He can be negative in the face of all the positive and sometimes he just doesn't appreciate what AA is all about.

THEN I PULL MY HEAD OUT AND REMEMBER THAT AA IS ONLY AS GOOD AS THE ATTITUDE I BRING IN THE DOOR WITH ME!

Just my observation,

Jon
Old 09-02-2008, 02:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

DK, you're not discouraging me. I'm just really, really scared to walk in that door and face a room full of strangers about something I haven't even admitted to my own husband. Heck, I only just admitted it to MYSELF this summer! Once I get there, what do I do? What do I say? What happens if someone actually calls on me or tries to get me to talk?!? I'm pretty darn scared of the unknown.

Yeah, the "god factor" is a part of it, but I am pretty confident that I can tune out what I need to tune out and pick up what I need to pick up. I like what others here have said about focusing on the similarities we have and not the differences, and I would definitely try to do that. It's just GOING for that first time, ya know??
Old 09-02-2008, 02:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

TSH, the meeting I went to, there was no danger of being called on or anything. There was a sign up sheet and anyone who wanted to talk signed up. I was so nervous I came in late and left early to avert having to talk to anyone... LOL How horrible that would have been!! But that's where I was right then. And it was just fine.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TTOSBT View Post
many of these folks know me better or as well as my best friends. I know they would do anything for me and I for them. There is strength in numbers! :bounce
Man that is certainly the truth in my home group. Someone can come in and you can tell they are torn up inside but they try to play it off like they are really ok. In a group where people don't know you that just might work but in a group where they do? Not gonna fly! I have hauled more people to the back to tell me what was REALLY going on and I've been hauled to the back for the same thing countless times in the 4 years I have been there. Also, in our group we can act pretty disfunctional at times (hey, what family isn't?!?!) but you let something happen to one of us or God forbid a tragic illness or death and we are there in droves with money, time, talent, whatever we have is gladly offered up.

The best part, IMHO, is knowing I can travel ANYWHERE and look up an AA meeting and be met with the same comfort of being around those who understand. The faces and the stories may be different but the bottomline truth is the same. We are all alcoholics trying to stay sober the best way we can one day at a time coming together in fellowship to share our experience, strength and hope with one another so that we can pass along what was so freely given to us in our darkest hour of need.

So glad you went and felt accepted!!! I hope you will KEEP COMING BACK! I remember being told that and feeling they really meant it. Guess what? They did!

Kellye
Old 09-02-2008, 08:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by TryingSoHard View Post
DK, you're not discouraging me. I'm just really, really scared to walk in that door and face a room full of strangers about something I haven't even admitted to my own husband. Heck, I only just admitted it to MYSELF this summer! Once I get there, what do I do? What do I say? What happens if someone actually calls on me or tries to get me to talk?!? I'm pretty darn scared of the unknown.

Yeah, the "god factor" is a part of it, but I am pretty confident that I can tune out what I need to tune out and pick up what I need to pick up. I like what others here have said about focusing on the similarities we have and not the differences, and I would definitely try to do that. It's just GOING for that first time, ya know??
I've never really had any problems with walking into an AA meeting. People are always saying how they're afraid to go.. and I've always found it exciting to throw myself into a new situation with new people. If you can find a well attended meeting you probably won't get called out. They may ask if there is anyone new to AA, but you don't have to respond. Better yet, find a speaker meeting if you can. My issue is that I'm not spiritual and I'm not gonna get spiritual. I love the group support and making new friends, but the pressure to assimilate is there, and my secular outlook on life is not gonna change.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

When you get called on in a meeting you are always welcome to say "Thank you, I would like to take a pass today". We had 3 people do that in a meeting last night.

ETA: or just say "Thank you but I would just like to listen tonight"
Old 09-02-2008, 11:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

And remember, every single person in that room had to go through a 'first night' to be there in that room today. They *all* know how it feels.
If someone asks if you would like to speak, a simple "no, thank you" would let them know you aren't ready to contribute just yet.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:09 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Tryingsohard, and others with fears about being called on to talk: I haven't spoken yet in my AA meetings, I am still waiting until I feel ready to share.

Nobody calls on anybody in my groups. All the contributions have been voluntary....
I guess that goes to show that groups can indeed vary. If you don't like one group keep looking and I am sure you will find something you are comfortable with!