Notices

Thinking about AA?

Old 09-03-2008, 01:25 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

To those that are worried and uncomfortable being called upon to talk in an AA meeting.

I for several years worried about being called upon to speak. I worried that I would ramble, not say the right things, have people judge me, or look foolish. What I have learned over the years is that when I relax and just speak from the heart. One way to view speaking in a meeting is to remember that it isn't so much what words you use or how elequent your words, what matters is what the person who is in need. To put it simpler we don't speak so much for us and our ego as we speak with the hope that it will provide hope and strength to the person who needs it at that time.

Even someone with 24 hours has a message to share. I have learned so much by listening to others. You never know who might be listening that needs to hear the message that only you can convey that day. Don't let others miss out on your experience, strength, and hope. Don't worry about what people will think. Just speak from your heart and you will help someone even if it is just yourself that day.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:10 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

ytytyt the hope I have found in AA has been awesome, to know I was not alone and that there were people who had found a solution to thier drinking problem kept me going back.

Just to prepare you, AA meetings are not all the same, some of them you probably will not find to your liking, just try another one. There are meetings in my area I just do not like, every meeting has it's own personality, I just kept seaching for those I liked and gained from. I keep in mind that people are different, what I may not like about a certain meeting other people love, to each their own, if they are staying sober and happy, all is good.

Do not worry about "The 'G' Word",
Just keep in mind on this that it is a "God/Higher Power" of your understanding, yes you will hear folks talk about thier "God/Higher Power" and that may be a Christian or Muslim God, or not, there are athiest and agnostics that find a "God/Higher Power" of thier understanding. I am going on 2 years sober thanks to AA and have been to church once, it did nothing for me, I just did not connect, but that does not take from my "God/Higher Power" of my understanding.

TryingSoHard:

Once I get there, what do I do? What do I say? What happens if someone actually calls on me or tries to get me to talk?!? I'm pretty darn scared of the unknown.
what do I do?
Grab a cup of coffee and take a seat.

What do I say?
You do not have to say a word, if some one ask you to share just say something like "No thanks, I am just listening." It happens all the time so don't worry about it. I know a guy who went an entire year going to a meeting every day and never said a word during a meeting..... but he stayed sober!

It's just GOING for that first time, ya know??
Just keep in mind that every single person in that room had the same fears of that first meeting and they did it.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:35 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

TSH.............

I know for me, the first time I ever enter a AA meeting, I was scared to death. I sat in the corner with a hat slide down covering my eyes. I didnt have to speak. No one ever called on me. All I did was sit and listen. That gave me comfort to know that.

I had to learn that from my own experience. The same will have to be learned from you.

You will never know unless you give it a shot. Isnt your life worth the chance you take in trying that first meeting? What is it gonna hurt? If you dont like it then guess what? You dont have to do it again.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:20 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
One Day at a Time!

Thumbs up

I went to my second AA meeting yesterday, and will go for my third today. My first, I just sat there. I had asked a friend to take me, and she had to all but drag me out of the car, and into the building. Yesterday, I parked outside and sat there for 20 minutes until I cleared the tears and walked through the door. As the topic went around the table, it finally got to me. I wasn't really in the mood to talk, but I did say my name, but instead of saying I'm an alcoholic, I said, "And my Dad is the alcoholic" Then, in a smaller voice, I said, "but I'm not ready to say that for myself yet" Everyone giggled, and grinned at me, telling me not to worry, they had all been there before. Which, of course, made me bawl like a dummy! Ha! Boy did I pick a bad time to quit drinking! It's "that time of the month" so my hormones are all out of wack, making me cry. I swear, if I start crying today, I'm gonna have to shoot myself in the foot so I'll have something to cry about!
Old 09-03-2008, 07:08 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Twin do not worry about the crying, I am a 54 year old red neck looking kind of guy and I had a good cry SUnday at a speakers meeting!!! I shed my share of tears when I first got sober and still do on occasion, I have yet to have one person in AA think I was a woose. It is called getting in touch with emotions that used to be drowned in alcohol.

Just keep going back, your emotions will leve out with time.... and time takes time so please do not worry about it, I have seen burly bikers cry more then once and am sure I will see it again.

Crying is part of recovery.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:19 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Twin,
Trust me, if it wasn't "that time of the month" you would STILL feel like crying. I think I cried continually for the first 30 days, lol. It gets better and not so overwhelming