Notices

Alchol free beer??

Old 08-30-2008, 02:35 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Actually, I prefer a Kaliber or St. Pauli's Girl NA over a beer with alcohol for taste. I've never liked the taste or smell of alcohol. And when I'm not drinking, I can't stand it on somebody else!
Old 08-30-2008, 02:59 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hmmm...

Here's an excerpt from the above link:

Quote:
Additionally, according to a report published by Indiana
University, a standard glass of orange juice contains between
.2% and .5% alcohol. Six glasses of orange juice could
theoretically create the same culpability in a minor as six
bottles of non-alcoholic beer.
Fair enough. I'm not pushing any barrow

I'll go with the Gov't website, if only cos it backs up what I believed anyway LOL

D
Old 08-30-2008, 04:05 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Hmmm...

Here's an excerpt from the above link:

Quote:
Additionally, according to a report published by Indiana
University, a standard glass of orange juice contains between
.2% and .5% alcohol. Six glasses of orange juice could
theoretically create the same culpability in a minor as six
bottles of non-alcoholic beer.
The problem I have with this is that there are many types of alchol in the world. Some are drinkable some are toxic. Some act one way in the body and others another way. I would not drink rubbing alcohol for example. The body produces a type of alcohol when it breaks down foods but the difference is that I choose to stay away from the form of alcohol that feeds my alcoholism. Basic chemistry can prove what I am saying.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:23 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by nandm View Post
The problem I have with this is that there are many types of alchol in the world. Some are drinkable some are toxic. Some act one way in the body and others another way. I would not drink rubbing alcohol for example. The body produces a type of alcohol when it breaks down foods but the difference is that I choose to stay away from the form of alcohol that feeds my alcoholism. Basic chemistry can prove what I am saying.
They're referring to good 'ol ethyl alcohol (fermentation of sugar & starch). But we're talking about trace concentrations of 1/5 - 1/2 part for every 100 parts, same as NA beer and wine.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:39 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Fake beer never appealed to me.

Same as virgin bloody marys or daquiris or de-caffinated coffe, or tofurkey fake meat sausages and stuff like that. It is like why? Who the hell am I kidding?

I don't care whether a person uses a program to be sober or not, I believe it is a question of self honesty.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:15 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

because of my past experience with it i would suggest leaving it alone for now.I used to drink it before I got sober.Then one day,after drinking a 12 pack of it,I decided to go get plastered,enough of this I thought,give me the real thing....booze has now burned me so bad,I do not even want to come close to drinking again
Old 08-30-2008, 07:55 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Non-alcoholic is a great supstituted for ther real thing.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:04 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Yeah Tib, ya gotta have sumpin' to wash down that B-day cake!

Just kiddin', bro.

That stuff can sit in my frig for days where the real thing would be gone no matter how much I brought home. What I really like are the gourmet root beers and cream sodas when I'm craving something frothy. Right now, it's time for a thick milkshake!
Old 08-30-2008, 09:06 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
They're referring to good 'ol ethyl alcohol (fermentation of sugar & starch). But we're talking about trace concentrations of 1/5 - 1/2 part for every 100 parts, same as NA beer and wine.
I hear what you are saying but the basic chemistry thing still applies. For example: one simple carbon being linked by a double covalent bond rather than a single bond does not necessarily make it not alcohol but it does change how that alcohol reacts in the body. The fermentation of starch and sugar can produce different chains of carbon atoms.

But to each his own. I am not here to prove or disprove people's theories about NA beer. My opinion is it is not worth drinking because of my own personal experiences with it as well as listening to the experience of other recovering alcoholics. Very few recovering alcoholics who have more than a few years drink NA beer. There is a reason for that.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:14 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Are you saying that the naturally occuring alcohol in fruit juices is fundamentally different than the residual left behind from the de-alcoholization process in NA beer and wine? If so, there are atleast a couple members here that are unnecessarily depriving themselves of the goodness of orange juice.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:26 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

So if I start out my day with a glass of OJ instead of a Screwdriver what does it mean?
Am I on the fence? Am I Spiritually unfit? Am I in danger of relapse? Am I being dishonest? Am I going through the motions?
I'm drinking the same drink with the Alcohol removed so therefore I'm just fooling myself. Right?
Old 08-30-2008, 09:31 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Personally, I would say 'No' to all of the above. Now, if you busted out a couple of gallons and started chuggin'...

Last edited by doorknob; 08-30-2008 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:37 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

This point has been debated over and over and over again and I am sure will be debated over and over and over some more. I will continue to believe what I know to be true. Everyone else will believe what they know to be true for them. I could care less if someone wants to drink "NA" beer, it is no skin off my back. Just as my choice not to drink it harms no one else. It is a matter of personal choice and belief. My belief is that for me I would be pushing my limits. Just as I believe that if I choose to drive 100mph down the road I might be upping the odds of my getting in a wreck. I choose not to take the chance. Just my choice, you have your own choice to make and decide what works for you. What works for you may not work for me and vice versa. Regardless the whole debate will never be solved to the point of everyone agreeing on this or any other forum. Enjoy the thread I am out of here.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:46 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Hey, I was just hopin' for chemistry lesson! I was a psychology major, LOL.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:04 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
What I really like are the gourmet root beers and cream sodas when I'm craving something frothy.
Mmmmm. Yummy!
Old 08-31-2008, 04:08 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Non-alcoholic beer is for non-alcoholics. So there!
Old 08-31-2008, 04:47 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your input. Great discussion! Sounds like this is an individual thing. Beer wasn't my drink of choice but I sure as hell wouldn't turn one down if that was what I was stuck with!

Rosie: