Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

This is going to be the longest 12 weeks of my life!

Notices

Old 08-25-2008, 08:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

So today I started my DUI program groups. It is 1 1/2 hours once a week for 12 weeks. I am trying to keep an open mind but I really am not thrilled about this. For 15 minutes of the group I got to hear about a guy's trip to Vegas to throw his brother a bachelor party, complete with blackouts, blow up dolls and strippers. It is not that I don't understand that many non-alcoholics get DUI's and can have fun drinking, but for me the drinking was no laughing situation.

I feel that I am the only one in the room that believes that they have a problem and the only one in recovery. It kind of sucks because I am missing my AA home group for this and I feel like I could be getting a lot more out of being there than in this group.

But, who am I to complain. I am paying the consequences of my choice and for that, I know I need to be there.
So...does anyone else have experience with this?
Any suggestions for how to get the most out of this?

Thanks for listening to me vent
Old 08-25-2008, 09:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

that is what it was like at the detox center that I went to. A bunch of kid's, heroin addict's, that were talking about how hammered they were gonna get on their 21st birthdays, and they were there for 90 day residential treatment!
Old 08-26-2008, 12:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

I think you can use this opportunity to be an example of recovery - that inclues tolerance and pray sincerely each day about how you can be of maximum benefit to God and usefulness to others...you can make a difference here. Think about what you can bring vs what you can 'get'...you are facing up to your consequences...if you can add value it's a further bonus! And i know you can! Your positive attitude has always impressed me - summon that and go in there and see what you can do to help others.
Good luck and well done!
Cathy31
x
Old 08-26-2008, 01:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i think you should accept your "consequences" and like cathy31 mentioned, revel in being a great example and inspiration.

at rehab 7 years ago, i had the opposite problem - i thought i didn't need to be there among serious drug users when i only drank (to excess and more) and did not steal for my meth, cocaine and heroin. i believed i was so much better.

ps. my attitude has drastically changed since then
Old 08-26-2008, 06:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

TTOSBT I have not been through that, one of my sponsee's is going through it right now, he has some of the same feelings you do and like you he is taking a posotive attitude that he is there because he deserved to be there.

Like my sponsee, you have a wonderful opportunity to demonstrate what recovery is to some of the people there who may be ready for recovery one day. I bet there are plenty of things you can learn there, even if it is just how not to be! LOL

Just be honest, as you say, there are probably folks there that do not have a problem and simply screwed up once, but there are others there that in thier future may see they have a problem and I bet they will remember that guy (you) who seemed to be different in a good kind of way. You may be saving some ones life 10 years from now and never even know it.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all that responded. Man, do I love this place. I so often hear exactly what I need to hear.
Cathy, I really appreciate your comment on tolerance and reminding me to pray to be of utmost usefulness! That is EXACTLY what I need to do. I know the counselor was thrilled to hear someone taking responsibility for their problems and working to be better.
ftumsh, yup, it is all a matter of yets, right? I went through rehab 14 years ago for meth. I was an young attractive young woman who snorted now and then and still managed to become spiritually bankrupt inside a matter of a couple years. I really embraced what the older people told me that I could have their story too, just go back out there. I really took it all to heart and have never touched meth since. Now why I ever picked up alcohol again is testament to the insanity of my disease.
Taz, love ya man, but I am NOT a guy, lol. But yes, I do hope that I can be of service in the next three months. I tell you, there was no laughing after I told my DUI story. There is nothing funny when it involves children.
And it was hard telling the story again. It is one of the worst days of my life and I still cry when I imagine what could have happened. It is still as fresh in my mind and heart as that first day and I hope that it stays that way.
Again, thank you all, SR is such an important part of my recovery :ghug3
Old 08-26-2008, 09:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Taz, love ya man, but I am NOT a guy, lol.
My bust!!! Sorry about that, I was not sure if TTOSBT was a womans name or not! LOL
Old 08-26-2008, 03:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Cool you're a winner!!

Originally Posted by TTOSBT View Post
So today I started my DUI program groups. It is 1 1/2 hours once a week for 12 weeks. I am trying to keep an open mind but I really am not thrilled about this. For 15 minutes of the group I got to hear about a guy's trip to Vegas to throw his brother a bachelor party, complete with blackouts, blow up dolls and strippers. It is not that I don't understand that many non-alcoholics get DUI's and can have fun drinking, but for me the drinking was no laughing situation.

I feel that I am the only one in the room that believes that they have a problem and the only one in recovery. It kind of sucks because I am missing my AA home group for this and I feel like I could be getting a lot more out of being there than in this group.

But, who am I to complain. I am paying the consequences of my choice and for that, I know I need to be there.
So...does anyone else have experience with this?
Any suggestions for how to get the most out of this?

Thanks for listening to me vent

Hey there TT,
:ghug2 RR
Old 08-26-2008, 03:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You are succeeding in your New Life. This adventure in educational information will better equip you to help others. Cheering for You!!!!
Old 08-26-2008, 03:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hehe Taz, nope, all woman. TTOSBT = To thine own self be true so it was very non gender specific

Hi Robby!!! How are ya?
Old 08-26-2008, 03:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RufusACanal View Post
You are succeeding in your New Life. This adventure in educational information will better equip you to help others. Cheering for You!!!!
Thank you Rufus1 I need to get over to the New Life thread and write my story. It just seems like I have never have that long to sit in one place I will soon though. Thanks for the cheers!
Old 08-26-2008, 03:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by TTOSBT View Post
Thank you all that responded. Man, do I love this place. I so often hear exactly what I need to hear.

And it was hard telling the story again. It is one of the worst days of my life and I still cry when I imagine what could have happened. It is still as fresh in my mind and heart as that first day and I hope that it stays that way.

Again, thank you all, SR is such an important part of my recovery :ghug3
Hi TT !!!

Robby
Old 08-27-2008, 05:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Well done!!!!!!! So, so good for you!!!