Notices

first night sober....

Old 08-25-2008, 07:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

first night sober....

last night was the first night after my medical detox. No more syrex, no more tranquilizers, but I did take a couple of benedryl to help me get to sleep. Unfortunately, they made me tired but deep sleep was hard to come by.

Now, my mission for the week is to a) see my therapist b) seek out a Dr to get a full physical c) don't drink, no matter what!

I know, you are all going to tell me to get to a meeting. As you know, I am AA averse based on past experience and, going through the detox with all of those young kids blurting out the AA group think, really reinforced my aversion. I pray that my mindset changes one day but for now that it what it is.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you made it. You will find sobriety gets better every day. I hope you have a great day. What is important is that you "just don't drink now!" LOL Eliz
Old 08-25-2008, 07:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good job! Keep posting and know that we're rooting for ya!
Old 08-25-2008, 08:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Turning it all around

Congratulations fugfuggy! Welcome back!
I feel the same way about AA and any other meetings! It had the reverse effect on me as well. Here's a post, about that, that I just posted today.

I've had no luck with AA or any other meetings. My strength lies within. I don't need anyone telling me what I need to do, I know exactly what I need to do, stay sober at any cost. If I feel like I need more strength I'll search for it. Until then, I'll keep all my energy within. What works for me is telling no one. No one will find, what I'm doing, as important as I do. I know this and don't want any energy to be vented by being convinced I don't have a problem. It's time for selfishness here and it's working.
I don't mean to bash AA or other meetings. They help a lot of people. They just don't work for me (at least the ones I've attended) and I choose to do it alone. As it turns out, many people are feeling the same way. Don't feel bad about how you do it, just do it! The process doesn't matter, it's how effective it is! Good job fug! Keep up the good work, how ever you do it! Prayers
Old 08-25-2008, 08:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

fugfuggy just don't drink one day at a time and things will get better, if AA is not for you but you feel the need for something more then SR there are other programs that help other people.

If you remain willing and open minded you will find what works for you, just keep doing what ever it takes, be willing to do what ever you need to do to stay sober and you will do okay.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks All!

I am with Hope. This will all come down to a personal battle with my own mind. Now that I have detoxed I know that I have zero physical need for alcohol so if I drink it is all on me now. I believe that everybody needs an outlet once things get tough. I am seeking professional help but I also agree that AA is great for a lot of people and it helps the masses in our addiction community so I am not bashing it.

SR is a great daily outlet for me and I will continue to post. This is the first sober day with my 9 year old daughter since she was born. She is my inspiration and when she is with me there are no cravings. It is only when she is with her mother that I find myself lonely with my own head and that is where I need the support.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

...Best wishes on your fresh beginning
Old 08-25-2008, 10:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Fulldresser4

Fuggy...lots of love, thoughts and prayers to you.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just a suggestion but I hope that you'll follow up with a plan........even if it is checking in here every day. I wish you the best in recovery!!!
Old 08-25-2008, 07:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
ever closer...

I go to AA but certainly keep myself open to other things as well. I read A million Little Pieces and became intrigued by the Eastern philosophy of self. The Taos is very interesting and I am reading The Zen of Recovery right now. Whatever combo keeps you sober and happy is the right one!!!
Old 08-26-2008, 07:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Whatever combo keeps you sober and happy is the right one!!!
Very well said Jen, I totally concur.