Notices

dang it

Old 08-24-2008, 07:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

dang it

I have been drinking beyond my comfort zone It used to be a couple times a year now has crept into most days of the week. I have prommised myself for the last week that I wouldn't drink but low & behold I have. I have to get a grip & stop. I think I might need a f 2 f meeing.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

There is a meeting going on the chat room right now----won't you join us? :ghug2
Old 08-24-2008, 08:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

helpus, recognizing that you have a problem is the first step.

Sounds like you know what you need to do.

For this alcoholic/addict, I have no doubt in my mind that I would not even be alive today if it weren't for AA and NA. I couldn't do it alone. I tried for so many years to do things my way and the only thing that brought me was more pain and misery.

Keep it Simple, One Day at A Time.

God Bless,
Judy
Old 08-24-2008, 09:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum...

Yes..I consider my f2f AA meetings vital for my recovery.

Have you considered talking to your doctor about
a medically supervised de tox? Might be wise.

Good to see you here with us..
Old 08-26-2008, 03:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for your replys. I don't drink enough to need detox, thankfully. But I am at the better stop while you can point. Monday was no problem for not having any alcohol. So there is day one.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Helpus welcome to SR, I see you said you may need some F2F meetings, if you are considering AA meetings might I suggest calling the AA hotline for your area and talk to them. Basically let them know where you live, how old you are, what you are comfortable with, just enough info to where they could guide you to a meeting you may find to your liking.

BTW the person who answers the hotline is going to be a volunteer recovering alcoholic so they will know what you are going through right now. It is not like calling some phone center where they do not know a thing about what is up or how to help. They have been where you are at now.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

helpus,

It is awesome that you are aware that you might have a drinking problem before it was too late.

For me, I never ever looked at it as a problem until I was too far into the depths of h3ll to be able to stop on my own. I spent 20 years doing my own research on alcoholism. Not fun, let me tell ya.

May I suggest, like Taz says.......call the AA hotline. Find some meetings in your area. Talk with someone about your drinking problem.

At least there you will be able to identify with someone else and begin to work through the process of recovering before it is too late.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree. Get thee to a meeting, post haste!!!
If you are anything like me, I couldn't go it alone.
And I really love meetings. good idea.
KJ
Old 08-26-2008, 06:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Helpus just to prepare you, if you show up for a meeting and hear a bunch of laughter, and people talking as if they have known each other thier whole life, and see people with a smile on thier face and a twinkle in their eyes, don't do like I did and think "Man this can not be the right place, I am miserable as hell and they are happy!"

You are in the right place! AA is a group of alcoholics helping each other get and stay sober by sharing our Experience, Strength, & HOPE!!!!! At first you may be a bit confused about what the heck some folks are talking about, but just ask questions of some one after the meeting, they will gladly give you honest answers.

One more very important thing, every AA meeting has it's own distinct persona, you will find some you like and some that you will hate, but if you keep trying different meetings you will find a core group of them you will like.

Always listen for something that allows you to relate in and not for things that allow you to relate out. One thing that is really neat about AA is you will find people from every age and walk of life in the world there. You will find athiest, agnostics, Christians, Jews, Buddists, etc. there, blacks, whites, etc. male and female, all with a common bond and a common solution.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
ever closer...

Yes meetings seem very intimidating at first. I spent over a week here and on a ***** AA chat before I went to a F2F. I had been to Alateen and a few AA meetings in the past and knew what to expect and I just wasn't sure I was really ready for the honesty!
Old 08-26-2008, 07:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

beingjen, luv the "bee happy" It's my ringback tone. lol. Well yesterday was fine today I've had 2 drinks. So tomorrow is another day. I have been on the F& F of substance abuse for a couple years now. My daugheter is 22 yrs old & has 16 months clean today!! I am so proud. Ironic I am now finding myself heading in a not so great direction. I can't believe how all of a sudden I truley had a holly crap moment, like your gonna be in trouble if you don't get a grip. I am into a healthy lifestyle & thie alcohol is so not what I ever thought would be a potental problem. But umm crap...I need more willpower. I have no doubt I can do it, but how much longer till I do? Whats my excuse today? Right now I just seem to like the warmth in my chest & the sigh...relaxed feeling after a couple. Yup I have a problem.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh Helpus I totally understand where you are. I find myself unwinding with a few drinks at night and sometime during the day while I am home bored. Ever since my dad died I feel the need for a couple drinks to relax or escape. I am with you I try to keep a close eye on it but sometimes I get carried away. When I dont drink I have no w/d's but we all know its a slippery slope and can change at any moment. Lets support each other we can get over this. There is strength in #'s. If your affraid to go to a meeting alone let me know we can meet and go together. Nip this in the butt before its too late. ((HUGS))