SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   My Cousin Passed Away Today (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/156215-my-cousin-passed-away-today.html)

serenityqueen 08-22-2008 06:43 PM

My Cousin Passed Away Today

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...recovery-1.jpg

I had started a thread a week or so ago letting everyone know that my cousin, who I called "Tom" was dying from the effects of alcoholism.

Tony died this morning at Hospice at the age of 43. He left behind a devestated wife and two preteen daughters, as well as his Parents, two brothers and a sister.

This is the second death as a result of this disease to effect my Family.

Many of you know I lost my only sister, Linda, who passed away in 1991. Linda died from cirrhosis of the liver. She was only 26.

Many of us think that "it could never happen to me."

I just got a phone call from an Aunt on my Mom's side of the Family. Her Grandson, who everyone called Scooter, died in a car accident today. He struggled with drug and alcohol addiction. We don't have too much information surrounding his death since he was in Florida to attend his half brother's Wedding tomorrow. He was only 27.

No matter what kind of day you had today, if you are able to read this, I hope you will be able to find gratitude in the fact that this disease hasn't taken your life.

It sure wants to.

Toomutch 08-22-2008 06:47 PM

I'm deeply sorry about your losses Serenity Oueen... Sad

And yes I thank God that my addiction hasn't taken me from this world.

SelfSeeking 08-22-2008 06:49 PM

I'm sorry for your and your family's pain...

Serenidad 08-22-2008 06:55 PM

Yes this disease is only here to KILL US!

My husband's cousin died 2 days ago from this disease. He was only 22. A friend of mine was just diagnosed with cirosis of the liver and Hep. C and she is only 23.

I am glad I am sober today!

Serenidad 08-22-2008 07:01 PM

BTW- Your family is in my prayers!

Surlyredhead 08-22-2008 07:15 PM

:hug: I am so sorry

CarolD 08-22-2008 07:21 PM

Prayers of comfort for all those
who love Tony and Scooter.
:hug:

serenityqueen 08-22-2008 07:36 PM

I appreciate everyones kind words and expressions of sympathy, however I started this thread as a reminder of what the final outcome of this disease is if we continue to use.

I also hope that we all realize how truly Blessed we are to be alive today.

But for the Grace of God go I.

Thank You for letting me share this.

Judy

colagirl 08-22-2008 07:44 PM

Judy, I'm so sorry for your losses. Thank you for giving me a(nother) reason to stay sober today.

Rowan 08-22-2008 07:54 PM

Thanks for the reminder that I must stay vigilant about my recovery.

Blessings and prayers to your family.

Kellye C 08-22-2008 08:04 PM

I am so sorry to hear about your losses and do count myself among the blessed to be alive and sober today.

Big hugs,
Kellye

vegibean 08-23-2008 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by serenityqueen (Post 1881543)
I appreciate everyones kind words and expressions of sympathy, however I started this thread as a reminder of what the final outcome of this disease is if we continue to use.

I also hope that we all realize how truly Blessed we are to be alive today.

But for the Grace of God go I.

Thank You for letting me share this.

Judy

Thank you for sharing...............

Bamboozle 08-23-2008 06:16 AM

Serenityqueen, thank you for the reminder. Reading your threads has helped me. When I was still in denial about the serious potential consequences (I told myself I'm too young, I didn't drink nearly as much as some others did, insert b.s. line of reasoning here, etc.), I stumbled across some of your posts. I made myself read. I didn't want to, but it was necessary. I cannot thank you enough for sharing something so personal and profound. I am sorry for your losses, but I am glad you are here to tell people the hard truth.

Impurrfect 08-23-2008 07:53 AM

(((Judy)))

I had a rough night at work, was in a bad mood, but your post just reminded me of all I have to be grateful for...thank you!

Hugs and prayers to you and your family!

Amy

JPat 08-23-2008 08:02 AM

:praying Judy - I am so sorry for your losses, and I will say a prayer for your family. I appreciate you sharing this message with us though, because it is a very powerful reminder that all of us on this site need to hear.

bugsworth 08-23-2008 08:06 AM

So sorry for your losses...prayers for peace.

miss communicat 08-23-2008 11:58 AM

such a powerful message and reminder
thank you so much for passing the message of grace and hope in recovery along to us.........

i will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers

butterfly19 08-23-2008 12:12 PM

SQ,

My prayers and deepest sympathies for the losses your family has endured. :candle2:

These folks are proof positive, my friends, that addiction can and does kill.

I feel lucky to be alive, and I'm grateful to be here. Others have died from less than what I have put in my body in past years. Judy, I know you understand that feeling too, and you have been there before. I, too, hope others will read this and get some kind of understanding about how deadly addiction can be. I think most of us know it. But, unfortunately, there are still addicts out there who just don't care whether they live or die. I'll say an extra prayer for those that feel that way today, because I was once in the same place before. Now I care. I want to live. I want to know what it feels like to have kids of my own someday. I want LIFE--with all it's glories and hardships!!!

Thanks for reminding me of that Judy!!! I hope others will read this and realize what they could be missing out on if they continue down their rocky path. May God bless you all!!

Love,

butterfly19 (SP)

:praying

Peter 08-23-2008 12:37 PM

My condolances SQ i really am sorry.

Freedom1990 08-23-2008 02:02 PM

In sharing your pain, I have no doubt you have touched many today. You certainly did touch my heart.

I pray your cousin is truly at peace now, and Scooter too.

This disease does kill.