Notices

Post-DUI paranoia

Old 08-21-2008, 09:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Dismember

Post-DUI paranoia

Does anyone else here still get nervous whenever they see a police car while driving? It's been almost a year since my arrest. I haven't driven intoxicated since (I hate to say I was "lucky" to live in walking distance to four liquor stores.) Yet, every time I see the police I get this immediate feeling of panic that "oh no, I hope they don't find me out!" followed by "oh wait, I haven't a drop of alcohol in me."

It's getting rather annoying. I really hope this *is* a passing phase.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Isaiah View Post
Does anyone else here still get nervous whenever they see a police car while driving? It's been almost a year since my arrest. I haven't driven intoxicated since (I hate to say I was "lucky" to live in walking distance to four liquor stores.) Yet, every time I see the police I get this immediate feeling of panic that "oh no, I hope they don't find me out!" followed by "oh wait, I haven't a drop of alcohol in me."

It's getting rather annoying. I really hope this *is* a passing phase.
Never had that happen, but have had the extremely amusing experience of having others who happened to be drinking at the time and were passengers tell me 'slow down, theres a cop!' or even advising me on the best route to take to avoid the police, and I could just grin and say that I hadn't been drinking!
Old 08-22-2008, 01:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Only when I'm speeding....
Old 08-22-2008, 03:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

LOL!!!! Not that I'm driving again yet. I got a DUI about 8 years ago and while I just fixed that by "well, I'll just drink at home then" I STILL get paranoid when a cop is behind me. If anything I'm grateful that at least now I know if when I do start driving, I WILL NOT be going a DUI!!
Old 08-22-2008, 04:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh heck yeah!!!

I havent drank in almost 2 years and still get nervous when I see a cop (especially when one gets behind me)

I am sure it's part of some of the guilt I still hold onto, from all the times I drove home drunk and didnt get caught. I.... on the other hand did get arrested for DUI's on several occasions. But, the amount of times that I woke up and thought to myself.........."hmmmmmmm, how did I get home last night?" Only to look outside and see my car sitting in the driveway. That still sends shivers down my spine.

So, yes............I still get paraniod at cops. And then I think..........."Silly girl, you are sober today!!!!"
Old 08-22-2008, 05:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

That is one of the things I love about my life today, I enjoy driving so much, I used to sweat bullets every time I got behind the wheel, I knew at least half the time if I got pulled it was at a minumum a speeding ticket if I was real lucky, possibly a speeding ticket and one for an open container, to this day I credit my finishing my drinking in my garage for me not winding up under the jail for DUIs!!!!

I will have 2 years next month and today I drive paranoia free, I know the worst I will ever get is a speeding ticket which is a joke compared to a DUI or vehicular manslaughter.

I got over the paranoia pretty quick.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I never got a DUI, but I still get very nervous when I see a cop, in our out of his car. I haven't been arrested since I was 18 for throwing snowballs off a store roof at my friends. If I remember right I was completely sober at the time. I think it's just that they represent authority and I have all this guilt about not being good enough and I'm just sure that everyone who looks at me knows it. And they may, people can be very perceptive. So authority scares me because if they can see how horrible I am then they'll surely 'out' me to the world and do things to make my life miserable.
What I want to come to believe is that I'm not horrible. I've been really sick and avoided recovery even though I knew I needed it, even though it hurt others and myself. That's horrible. It just is and I can't change the past. But it isn't me today, and if I hang in here and get recovery, it won't ever be me again.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
The Bay Crawler

I don't get paranoid when a cop gets behind me. I just mentally and emotionally treat it as a pop quiz driving test with a mandatory good test score.

[/dry humor]

Old 08-24-2008, 10:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've never gotten a DUI but I feel the same way when I see a cop behind me. You never know when/if they'll pull you over. In Cotati we call them the gastabo. They'll stop you for anything!
Old 08-24-2008, 10:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

LOL, what a good question. I purchased my first new car several years ago and wanted to see how fast it would go on the interstate. Thankfully, the State Trooper that pulled me over did not get me at the speed I had been going as I started to brake before he gunned me. I was so excited that it was only a speeding ticket I was getting and not another trip to jail and possibly prison, that I thanked the Trooper so much, he had to tell me he needed to get back to work! I even paid the fine out of change I had collected for the previous three years. It was awesome!@ Do I want another no, but the knowing that I had nothing more than a ticket was like a celebration for me. God takes the fear if I let him, if I get out of the way in this New Life!
Old 08-24-2008, 10:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It has been years ago that I drove. But after being arrested once I always drove during the day. Because if I were to get pulled over again, I wanted to see it coming. At night I thought every head light was the law. Sick, but that's the way I thought back then.

Looking to get my license back next month. And I worry about drunk drivers because I used to be one of them. I have a new respect for the law today.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I still get nervous. Like some others I had nowhere near the # of DUIs I deserved.

I also have this fantasy of getting pulled over while on the way to an AA meeting. This way, when they ask "where are you going?" - which they always do and it is never any of their business - I will have a good answer.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I got a ticket at 16 for speeding. I was pulled over for drunk driving at 17...but they didn't charge me (things were different back then).

I got pulled over for speeding 2 years ago....was detoxing hard at the time, but didn't get the ticket.

I was pulled over for lights not working many times drunk over the last 8 years. Somehow they never noticed i was on at least a 1/2 liter of alchohol...don't get that.

Never drove sober for 7 years...except that one time i was detoxing!

Since I got sober, I was ticketed for running a barracade..something I NEVER would have done drunk!

A week later I put my car in a ditch in front of my house...long story...see my pics on my page here....

Cops make me nervous cause .... I don't know why....I guess I know that I make errors when driving all the time, just as others do...and any mistake could be the one that kills me or someone else...it's really rather frightening. We depend on all of us following the rules to the best of our ability..we litterally depend on each other to keep each other safe...talk about being connected to the whole...kinda awsome when you think about it!
Old 08-24-2008, 05:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
I still get nervous. Like some others I had nowhere near the # of DUIs I deserved.

I also have this fantasy of getting pulled over while on the way to an AA meeting. This way, when they ask "where are you going?" - which they always do and it is never any of their business - I will have a good answer.
Driving in Houston is stressful enough and if I get a cop car behind me that just stays I sweat a little. I suddenly get the award for super cautious driver of the year. Now if they are passing me or something I don't care, but it's when they are just following me.

I never got any DUI's thank God but that doesn't mean I didn't deserve them. It is also my dream to either be stopped and asked the question above and either answer that I'm on my way to AA or if asked how many drinks I've had tonight to start laughing and then when asked why I am laughing to explain that by God's grace and AA I haven't had a drink in over 4 years. I'm just glad to know I'm not the only one who has these types of fantasies LOL!

Take care,
Kellye