Notices

Brain Fog

Old 08-20-2008, 09:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Brain Fog

I was just wondering how long this lasts after giving up alcohol. And do drinkers live with it for years without realizing? I know everyone is different, and am thinking in terms of weeks months and years. Me, I'd be happy being able to do enough maths at a checkout!!!
Old 08-20-2008, 09:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

I think everyone is different. Mine lifted after about 45 days. I still "wander" lol, but my thinking is MUCH clearer now.
By the way, it says your sobriety date is 12/8/2008. Is that the planned sobriety date or just the wrong year?
Old 08-20-2008, 09:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Bradster must be from Europe where the dates are reversed. 12/8 is the twelvth of august
Old 08-20-2008, 11:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Brain Fog is different for everyone. I do understand. Mine lasted for almost 6 months to some extent, but by about 2 months I was starting to feel like I had some brain left and wasn't slugging through muck and mire, lol It does get better, stick with it.

Congrats on your 13 days, that is great. Every day will be a teeny bit clearer. It just takes time. You didn't get this way over night and unfortunately we don't get clear headed, bright eyed and bushy tailed over night either, lol.

Welcome to SR you have found a great place with great support!!

Love and hugs,
Old 08-21-2008, 04:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

And by, the european way of dates is more sane than the Us way Day, month year - logical!!

Unfortunately that is not correct, I meant to be sober since that date...I have got a few sober days which is good for me. It's just at times I had NO concentration, so I couldn't even follow the plot of a TV programe, my mind just ran. But I also had moments of pretty good clarity.

I suppose your right - I will not get back to a clear head for a while. I'm not working at the moment, I don't think I could if I wanted to, but I think I'll just have to have get a fortnight sober before I think about anything seriously. The main thing I'll have to press is stay sober and the clarity will get better and longer....
Old 08-21-2008, 04:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My brain fog was much different than others. I was coming off of drugs along with alcohol.

I had moments of clarity and moments of disarray come about frequently.

kinda like being on a rollercoaster ride and couldnt get off.

Took me about 6 months to even out.

People told me I needed medication to get the balance. I refused, knowing that if I pushed through it I would come out eventually.

Now, This is only my experience. Others might want to see a Dr. about their brain fog. I just choose not to go that route.

I cant say that everyday is smooth sailing. But, 99% is clear and beautiful.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Turning it all around

Smile

(Day 3 for me) I can't see through this constant headache to see if I have any fog. I'm sure when this headache lifts, the fog will set in. I would imagine it's like driving in it. You slow down a bit until you drive through it.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm...
The first time s I noticed my brain was "de saturating"
3 weeks after I quit.....
I could again do Crossword Puzzles and program my vCR.

By 2 months of AA recovery.....I was back in
complete balance physically and mentally.

Good to see you again....
Well done on your sober time!
Old 08-21-2008, 06:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Bradster as already shared, everyone is different, I was in a real heavy fog for the first 3-4 days I was in detox, I was sober a month before the fog started to lift from the point it was at about a week sober.

Now here is what I found amazing, at 2 months sober I thought it could not get better then this, then at 3 months it was better yet, then 4 even better!!!! I asked an old timer at a meeting about it and he told me that some folks see improvement for over a year!!! Well he was right!!! I have almost 2 years now and I am now not sure if it is my brain is still getting better or if it just seems better due to the program.

Hang in there, it is WELL worth it getting sober.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Talking

Originally Posted by HopeTo180 View Post
(Day 3 for me) I can't see through this constant headache to see if I have any fog. I'm sure when this headache lifts, the fog will set in. I would imagine it's like driving in it. You slow down a bit until you drive through it.
It's not quite that simple for me, patches of basically phasing out of reality makes me anxious at the same time as being sort of incapacitating, even though I know what it is. But if things get better slowly and over a long time, that is very encouraging. It's good to know recovery of body and mind is a real option, with time, relaxation and nutrition and stuff.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Dismember

I'm just a few days over a short, relatively-mild bender and I have never been so aware of a "brain fog" in all my life. I noticed yesterday that I was having a little trouble with spelling. My coordination was out of sync; I'd be skipping letters or forgetting prepositions. Not a normal condition for me by any means.

Yet I'm reading some pretty thick philosophy at the moment and don't seem to be having any trouble following it.

I'm also feeling ridiculously ADHD.