Notices

My mother, the rockstar

Old 08-18-2008, 02:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My mother, the rockstar

In doing this whole "going sober" thing, I've talked to SR and my SO.... SR has been amazingly, wonderfully supportive (smooches SR), my SO has been less so. He's still bringing beer into the house and drinking in front of me. I could think of one person who's supported me unwaveringly my whole life... Mom

I wanted to tell her, but I was afraid hearing me admit to a drinking problem would be too horrible. My dad is an alcoholic, her dad was an alcoholic, my dad's dad and several brothers are alcoholics... several alcohol related deaths in both sides of the family... Who wants to hear that their daughter is a drunk, after living with drunks their whole lives? She has been on and off at Al-Anon for years.

But I decided to give it a shot, thinking that maybe she already knew anyway (in recent years I have started to drink more openly around family) and hearing that I was making an attempt at recovery would make her happy. Besides, I share almost everything with my mom, and keeping this to myself was making it feel less real. So I did, I told her on the phone a few minutes ago! And she told me how great it was that I was dealing with it, we talked about how it would be once school started... and yes, she was, shall we say, less than shocked

I just love my mom. Wow. I am so lucky to have her.

And that is my random sharing for the day!
Old 08-18-2008, 02:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Congratulations! I have a mom like that. She's my very best friend and yes, she knew I had a drinking problem before I admitted it to myself. Funny how we think we're so good at fooling people, huh?
Old 08-18-2008, 02:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you did it. Sounds like a great relationship. You are right, family and friends already know. Us alcoholics are the last to know. Good luck in your progress of recovery and school. I have found I do much better in school now that I am in recovery. Best wishes and keep posting.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm sooo pleased you and your Mom are now on the same page.
You are both fortunate women...

Will you be living with your drinking SO when school begins?

I did break up with my "party" lover
of 5 years to protect my sobriety. He did not
drink at my apartment but Geez! the smell!
:burns

Not to say you should...just wanted you to know it worked
out for both of us. He survived ...I thrived....
Old 08-18-2008, 02:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Carol,

We really are. I wish I was closer to her geographically, but at least least long-distance communication is easy.

My SO and I will be living a number of states apart when school starts in a couple weeks. Not splitting up, but we will have a lot of time apart. I am mostly not happy about this, but in light of my sobriety plans, I think it might be the healthiest thing for me. Before I lived with him it wasn't my habit to keep alcohol in the house all the time; I think I always knew I would go out of control. Man was I right about that one. When I get back I'll be taking full advantage of my health insurance and getting therapy! Hopefully once we're back together, I'll be more together.

Deezal- one of the reasons I realized I had to stop drinking was mulling over the impact alcohol has had on my education. Grad school is too expensive to not do full-throttle, if you're gonna do it at all

Suki- yeah, I thought I was drinking "normally" around my family, but... lol... duh. They've all seen enough alkies to know. I was so slick, sneaking my empties into the big trash cans in the garage *eye roll*
Old 08-18-2008, 02:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

I can relate-I just told my alcoholic mom I have a drug problem and found out at the same time she has been alcohol free for 3 months!!
Old 08-18-2008, 04:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow Slvr, that must have been such a nice surprise! I love it when scary honesty is rewarded... That feeling that the world will come crashing down if you let something out is not always right, as hard as it is to believe...
Old 08-18-2008, 05:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

Originally Posted by SelfSeeking View Post
Wow Slvr, that must have been such a nice surprise! I love it when scary honesty is rewarded... That feeling that the world will come crashing down if you let something out is not always right, as hard as it is to believe...

Yes, it was! And your right about that feeling that the world will end if you tell the truth....it usually is not as bad as you thought it would be!!!
Old 08-18-2008, 05:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's a really great post.

You are so lucky to have such a super Mom and she is lucky to have you.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Aw. Thanks Anna. I don't always think she's so lucky to have me, I'm sure I've caused her a lot of stress over the years. There are "easier" daughters out there, no doubt. But I'm trying to make her proud
Old 08-19-2008, 08:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Patron Saint of Hot Tubs

Glad to hear it worked out, mate. It's crappy to be penalised for the truth, though I suppose you've got to look at it from both sides of the fence. Your mum sounds like an empathic lady.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm happy for you Self, and glad you and your mom share such a tight bond. I have a mom like that too, we are best friends and I can tell her anything.