Notices

The curse of the remedy

Old 08-17-2008, 05:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The curse of the remedy

I'm always curious as to why so many people are reticent to embrace the spiritual solution to alcoholism.

We know if a person stops drinking, they are *dry* or abstinent, but not sober, as in sober thinking. At least, in my experience, a person who simply quits yet does not address the emotional/spiritual malady, they will continue to live with the "ism's" of the disease and find no peace.

So...when there is a "prescription" available to heal the disease of alcoholism..ie: 12 step support, helping others, finding a higher power....people are so turned off to it, and reject it.

Yet, when we go to the doctor to heal the cancer that will kill as just as ferverently as alcoholism, we gratefully accept the harsh drugs, even embrace them, as we know they will save our life.

Seems many people are more apt to accept a "drug" to heal, rather than an invisible, intangible form of medication. Even when it proves to be quite effective when "taken" correctly.

Thoughts?
Old 08-17-2008, 05:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

"We know if a person stops drinking, they are *dry* or abstinent, but not sober, as in sober thinking. At least, in my experience, a person who simply quits yet does not address the emotional/spiritual malady, they will continue to live with the "ism's" of the disease and find no peace."

Thoughts?

Nonsense.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm...
I think you are making a lot of assumptions
however...
good to know what's working for you.

Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum
Old 08-17-2008, 05:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The reality is when you are a addict you do not feel as if God as been there for you. It's like why should I trust something that has been letting me down since I was a little kid?

tib
Old 08-17-2008, 06:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I understand what you are saying but the 12 Steps does not work for everyone the way they may work for you or me.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Bugs & Carol said it all for me. Tib sorry you feel that way. Hope things change for you. For myself, I let myself down, God carried me when I was unable to carry myself.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

To make assumptions that a person who rejects the twelve steps isn't spiritual and/or capable of sober thinking just because they have found success using other methods, seems to be dry drunk thinking. How does the saying go, "keep your own side of the street clean"?

If you've found success in AA, I'm happy for you. If others have found success without AA using other methods/programs, at the very least, please don't be judgmental.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I just don't hold any spiritual beliefs and don't believe in what you claim to be reality. I do agree that for some, myself included, emotional issues and any mood or anxiety disorders must be addressed to achieve any degree of stability.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Tib, your post hurts...I can feel it and I am sorry you are feeling let down. While I do not pretend to know your pain or of the incidents of which you speak I do know that addicts are not alone with trust issues especially in regards to God. Sobriety however, in my opinion, has very little to do with God and everything to do with re-managing your life.

Do not let your focus drift from the problem at hand....drinking alcohol will eventually kill you, kill me and anyone who allows it. DO NOT hand over your power and give up...take it back my friend, I did it and so can you.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

My answer to your question of
why so many people are reticent to embrace the spiritual solution to alcoholism
is quite simple. Not everyone's experiences with organized religion have been positive ones. I for one would never have accepted a spiritual solution if I had not had someone explain there is a difference between spirituality and religion. Today I am a little more open to the religion aspects but still do not consider myself religious. I feel no need to prophesize, worship, follow traditions/rules, etc....

I also recognize that a spiritual solution is not the only way to get sober. There are people here who have significant time sober (and appear to be quite healthy and happy) who do not use a 12 step program to maintain their sobriety. Personally, I am grateful I found a 12 step program and feel it definately saved my life.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

"We know if a person stops drinking, they are *dry* or abstinent, but not sober, as in sober thinking. At least, in my experience, a person who simply quits yet does not address the emotional/spiritual malady, they will continue to live with the "ism's" of the disease and find no peace."

Thoughts?

Nonsense.
Bugsworth

If you've found success in AA, I'm happy for you. If others have found success without AA using other methods/programs, at the very least, please don't be judgmental.
Anthony V

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Your reality isn't my reality.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Reality View Post
So...when there is a "prescription" available to heal the disease of alcoholism..ie: 12 step support, helping others, finding a higher power....people are so turned off to it, and reject it.
Fortunately for me that is not the only "prescription". There are other effective remedies for alcoholism. For me its primarily groups at the health clinic and SMART Recovery. Also I recently switch from A.A. to D.R.A.. At least the D.R.A group members where I attend meetings recognize and respect the fact that some members prefer a non-spiritual approach to recovery.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

"The roads to recovery are many."

Bill W., The AA Grapevine, Sept. 1944, Vol. 1 No. 4.
I never feel the need to suggest everyone do it my way.

D
Old 08-17-2008, 09:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

"Yet, when we go to the doctor to heal the cancer that will kill as just as ferverently as alcoholism, we gratefully accept the harsh drugs, even embrace them, as we know they will save our life."

Science verses Religion? This is an old one. I have a pretty "logical" mind (in that logic appeals to me, not that I am a logical person - no logical person would drink like me!). In my mind Science, the medicine, is proven. I can see the tablets, and see the results. I can physically touch the machines. Religion isn't physical - I can't see God, or touch spirituality. So for me I wouldn't say that religion is "medicine". You can't take two hail marys and get rid of your headache. Religion is a deep personal choice - you can take medicine without believing it will work, and it will. You can't force a religion on someone and it'll suddenly work.

At the end of the day - If the doctors could prescrive a pill that magically took away the urge to drink or use I don't think any of us would say no.

It's great that people have sucess with AA, but there's no reason to tell those of us who don't that we will never be sober, only dry drunks.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bugsworth View Post

Thoughts?

Nonsense.
Can you elaborate on your opinion? O
Old 08-18-2008, 07:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Hmm...
I think you are making a lot of assumptions
however...
good to know what's working for you.

Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum
Just sharing MY view point...
Old 08-18-2008, 07:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnthonyV View Post
To make assumptions that a person who rejects the twelve steps isn't spiritual and/or capable of sober thinking just because they have found success using other methods, seems to be dry drunk thinking. How does the saying go, "keep your own side of the street clean"?

How did I judge others? Just sharing MY viewpoint and MY experience.

Why so defensive?
Old 08-18-2008, 08:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Wow..very surprised here at the intense reaction my post has caused. Seems that Ive touched a few nerves.

My experience, and that of all I have read about alcoholism, is that its a physically, mental and spiritual illness.

The cessation of drinking can alleviate the physical assault to the body, but what alleviates the spiritual assualt to the mind, if not a spiritual approach, to be relieved of the "ism's", which I believe cause resentments, fear, hatred etc?
Old 08-18-2008, 08:05 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sorry Reality I thought I was fairly clear. I'll try again....

Rubbish.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bugsworth View Post
Sorry Reality I thought I was fairly clear. I'll try again....

Rubbish.
Ouch....sarcasim hurts.

Was hoping for some clear, thoughtful insight into your opinion. Guess that's the best you can do, so I wish you a great day!