Notices

Youngest Generation Drunk Story

Old 08-16-2008, 03:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Youngest Generation Drunk Story

Hello for those of you who remember me. If not, I'll give you a background of myself. I started posting here in last October but like many of us, I fell of the wagon. I originally starting to post because I was about 6 beers deep on a Sunday after having one of the worst hangovers of my life. And I had really started to reflect on the fact that I had a problem.

I was in denial and afraid to admit it because my mother is currently 58 years old in a downward spiral of alcoholism. She has made it known that she won't get help and doesn't care if it kills her. She has diabetes, drinks 2-3 bottles of wine after work, and can't even walk if she doesn't have something to hold onto within 10 feet of her. She will probably be dead withing 5 years. I know that might come off as mean and disrespectful but it's the truth. My whole life my mother has been an alcoholic. A memory that I think about every day is hauling my mother up to bed at the age of 13 because she was passed out drunk in my living room after falling asleep with a cigarette in her hand and setting a book on fire which probably could have burned down my house.

But, Not everything in my life is horrible.

I am a 22 year old college student and majoring in broadcasting. I just finished a fantastic internship in Boston at one of the biggest stations in the market and made some phenomenal contacts as well as advanced my knowledge and skills in the radio business. I eventually would like to get into sports broadcasting professionally because I have been doing play by play for everything and anything at my college radio station where I am also Program Director. I came into college not knowing what the hell I wanted to do and found out I had a passion for radio. I've learned so much, had amazing experiences, and currently have a job offer waiting after I graduate in May of 2009. Right now you're probably asking yourself, what's the catch? I am an alcoholic. After visiting a friend at Boston College and the fall of 2006 I was on a bus ride back where I go to school after a night of blacking out and suddenly felt this flustered feeling in my chest, I started to shake, and my heart was beating incredibly. I had to go to the back of the bus and poor a bottle of aquafina on my face to try and calm myself down. Well, this lasted the whole ride home. I immediately went to the medical office on my college campus and told them that I was having this uncontrollable feeling of going crazy and it carried a ton of physical symptoms that made me feel god awful. After I was checked out, had x-rays taken, and an EKG they told me I was experiencing panic attacks. I never, ever, not once, had a panic attack in my life until that day. What was my cure, because I obviously wasn't going to stop drinking, alcohol. The only way to make me stop going into a psychotic and paranoid rage was to crack open my trusty friend and arch enemy. Alcohol.

I was your typical college student. Going out on the weekends, getting wasted, meeting girls, having a generally good time. I always kept my drinking for the weekends. I always would fight my symptoms and not drink because I knew if I cracked that beer it would just put the stamp on my alcoholic application. Little did I realize that I was an alcoholic already even without the hair on the dog. Well, guess what, it's almost a year later and I'm doing the same thing on my birthday of all times. Last night, my friends took me out to a bar for my birthday and I had a fantastic time. It was honestly the first time in a long time i had gone out and gotten severely drunk. I have been having about 6 pack every night but it doesn't get that hungover when I wake up in the morning. Last night I was drinking shots of whiskey. Several shots. Along with a bunch of beer and today I woke up drunk. Felt relatively fine then later on in the day I had a brutal panic stricken alcohol withdrawl. Shakes, fast hearbeat, paranoia, my brutal hangovers that I had discussed before were rearing their ugly head and of course, once agian, I cured it by drinking. It's 530, I've had about 7 beers today and right now I feel not drunk or buzzed, but comfortable. This is not good.

I know I have a problem. There's no more denial and there is no more hiding. Physically I'm starting to show it. My eyes are always droopy in the AM and have bags under them. I usually never drink hard alcohol, it's always beer so I've gained a ton of weight for drinking so much beer. I'm bloated, I have a beer gut and stretch marks all over my stomach. And it's all from drinking beer. I'm not a big fan of light beer so I'm usually drinking the heavy stuff. I tell people because I like the taste which basically really means it has a higher alcohol content.

My problem is I don't know how to do this. I have a mother who's an alcoholic and my dad is unemployed. My mother, as crazy as she is, still functions. She still has a job as a secretary but my father can't get a break. He was in computers for years and a company he worked for folded. He's 59 and nobody will hire him because he's old. He will probably end up driving a bus and I can't afford drug rehab. Not only can I not afford it, it can't fit into my life right now. I have so much going for me but alcohol could derail it and rehab both financially and situationally can't work. I was wondering what people have done as far as detox goes. Is it covered in a normal healthcare plan? Are there free detoxes? Nobody with a drug problem in my family has recovered, they've died. My grandfather and aunt died, my mother will die, I don't want to go that route. I have a lot to live for and care about myself. I'm sick of waking up fuzzy, I'm sick of exercising everyday and then just ruining all of my work by drinking a six pack of budweiser, I'm sick of all of it.

The physical symptoms are what are killing me right now. I have sober friends and I know I can stop but I just can't deal with the physical symptoms. I feel like I'm going to literally blow up like a ticking time bomb with some of my hangovers. I know if I can go through a detox and get all of this alcohol out of my system I can beat this. Has anyone had a situation similar to mine in the similar financial bind that has beaten alcohol addiction?

that's my story, anyone with replies I greatly appreciate it.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

Boy, can I relate to your story. I had horrible panic attacks and anxiety. My cure was to drink alcohol to alleviate it. I did that for years before I figured out I was only adding fuel to the fire. I wish you the best of luck. You have your whole life ahead of you and your future is promising. You are smart in realizing that you have to address your problem before you can move forward. If you don't, alcohol will continue to rear its ugly head and will forever place obstacles in front of you. Keep fighting...
Old 08-16-2008, 03:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

First you say rehab doesnt fit your life, well think about what you have written. If you do not do something things will only get worse. If you get the great job you could loose it to alcohol. If you want to get sober and are having withdrawels you should at least seek medical advice. Alcohol withdrawel can be life threatening and worse than any other detox.
This is my story. I detoxed on my own. Not a good idea. Ithrough the grace of God made it. Soon as I could I called AA and that day I was picked up and taken to three meetings. Your local AA office should have people on call 24/7 for this type of situation. Give them a call and get to a meeting. AA helped me to get sober. I did not go to rehab but somehow I made it. It took a lot of work and meetings. I finally had to do 2-3 mtgs every day for 10 months. I am still sober today, 16 mo later. But I work the program. I go to meetings like I drank and never make an excuse to miss a meeting. I hope this helps. But it is not advised to go through alcohol detox alone. Hope you find your way to recovery. It isnt hard it just takes effort. LOL
Old 08-16-2008, 03:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome. You will find many who have your same experience. I believe you said your in Boston now. I don't know the area but I'm sure someone can recommend a place for detox, Salvation Army has one, I'm betting.

Here's some really good news for you: You don't have to live like any more. Once you've detoxed make some plans to stay sober. I believe it's a learned skill. Once I realized that drinking was no longer an option for me, it was a lot easier to stay sober.

Again, welcome!

Lenina
Old 08-16-2008, 03:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

First you say rehab doesnt fit your life
Rehab costs money that I don't have...Unless I'm on A&E Intervention I don't know how to get money for rehab.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

rehab can be expensive, but detox is significantly cheaper. Check with you dr.

My son is 29 and I am 49 and the number of trips he had to make to take me to the ER because of alcholism is sad. I feel for you and what you went thruough with your mother.

I was the only person in my family recovering for quite some time. But just because my brother and father and cousins and on and on couldn't get sober doesn't mean I cant.

Meetings and SR help alot. Lots of water and ensure for neutritian got me through to when I could get to my dr. My brother who was drinking taught me that one.

Take any actions you can to detox and stay sober. :ghug3
Old 08-16-2008, 05:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

For a free de tox...call the Salvation Army.
They also have a web site...not sure what info is there.

You could also attend a local AA meeting
go early and ask what they did.

Look at the top sticky post here for some of our personal
experiences with alcohol withdrawal There is also info.

Glad you are here with us again...
Old 08-17-2008, 08:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. There are many resources here for your use, but I would ask you to read the posts of SR memebrs who have victory today over Alcoholism in the thread, a New Life. This is but one thread of many that shows the true nature of Alcoholism and the recovery of the same. You too can live free. I look forward to hearing more from you in the days and weeks ahead.