Notices

Head Injury Courtesy of Ye Olde Vodka

Old 08-20-2008, 08:44 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thane,

This thread gives new meaning to the phrase motley crew. I was an RN working in the ICU and cross training for Trauma. I self medicated a little too much with morphine and demerol and when I began discussing flying tigers my co-workers became concerned.

They called the Director who called the police. At the time I was a police wife. I was taken to the ER of the hospital at which I worked. I was arrested by another law enforcement officer that we had socialized with. Then, after elaborating and expounding regarding the flying tigers, I was transferred to the Psych. ward of the hospital at which I worked.

To make matters worse, when I was hired I was required to provide a name and contact number of someone to call in case of emergency. I had put down my pastor's name so they called him.

The crowning glory was when one of my co-workers, who had been having an affair with my husband for over a year, decided to call him and discuss the situation. Obviously he was appalled and that was the beginning of the end of our marriage.

I was sentenced to 7 years in prison on a number of charges, but the judge reduced it to 18 months probation because of my past clean record. Even so, my husband took a dim view of the situation and we divorced.

I completed my probation and filed bankruptcy because my debts had become insurmountable due to little or no income for months at a time. Then I had the nasty little felony expunged and I am now legally a virgin again.

I know this thread is about head injuries and I had hit my head a number of times at home after an evening of "sipping" and then suddenly standing up. I don't know what the cumulative effect is or will be. What I do know is 99.9% of all my life's troubles have resulted from alcohol. I have never received a DUI but have deserved many.

I have changed my life and God has blessed my efforts. The same thing will happen to you if you are willing to go to ANY lengths to change your life. You sound receptive and the previous posts show you will fit right in here at SR. Keep posting.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:56 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Wow, Wish! First of all, your husband was an ass to be having an affair!!!! Secondly, thank you so much for sharing with us! Your posts really touch me.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:09 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
While at a huge Christmas party....I became the star attraction.
All dressed in flowing white....platinum blond hair shining ...standing
up to get another drink
Carol,
Years ago I worked for the phone company and a pretty co-worker got word that her ex would be at the Christmas party. She was determined to make him "sorry for what he had lost" and bought a $500. white dress.

Well we worked as a team in a small work area and I overheard bill collectors calling, asking for her and she would say:"she doesn't work here anymore." and pretend she was someone else. Anyway, when she told me she bought the dress I said "How can you afford it?" she replied she would just wear it the one time and then return it.

Well later I asked how things went and she confessed she'd spilled red wine on the dress and spent some time in the dress while in the hot tub with our married manager. At the time I lived about 30 miles away so I knew I couldn't drink and drive that far w/o getting a DUI so I didn't go but I guess it got pretty wild. I don't know how she paid for the dress because she put it on her already maxed out credit card, fully expecting to return it the next day.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:07 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I would ask my doctor if drinking will affect the healing of the head trauma. They might be wanting to keep you around for a while to allow the injury to heal without alcohol. alcohol use is not recommended when your body is healing from any serious trauma.
On the other hand, I don't think forced rehab is a very good solution.
My brother has had serious head trauma including stroking from injuries suffered while drinking.
It's not something to fool around with: he has permanent memory loss. His injury was also acquired during a stint of severe alcohol poisoning.
I'd try to get better first, before having a drink!
Old 08-20-2008, 02:16 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mjs View Post
There was a story in the Washington Post about 6 months ago about people who suffered head injuries suddenly losing their compulsion to drink/drug/smoke...I asked my doctor if she had heard anything about this and she said yes in fact she had...she said she also suspected that having a head injury when young could predispose one to addiction.I then asked her if they still had those little reflex hammers and she said do not even think about it and you better hope your wife doesn't read that article...
That was too funny.............................