Notices

Intervention

Old 08-13-2008, 10:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Intervention

As I am struggling on day 3 without alcohol I am looking for support and advise on various sites and such. I also have been watching Intervention on A&E. Why is it that it makes me want to drink. I find myself saying "well I'm not that bad so maybe I'm okay and I can drink as long as I watch it. I know the answer is that I am an alcoholic and I don't know how to "just watch it". Does anyone else get the urge to drink when you see the terrible inevitable end result? It should gross me out and NEVER want to drink again, but it is having the opposite effect on Me. Any thoughts?
Meadow
Old 08-13-2008, 10:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Meadow. Hang in there !! Good job on the 3 days.

I watch that show as well, and it serves as a reminder how things WILL get if I continue drinking. Alcoholism is a progressive disease, I know that for a fact, first hand experience.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know quitting is a hard habit to break. Out of sight was better for me. I was sober a few years then went to a program for my license. I was supprised how much it bothered me to even hear about drinking because I had not even thought about it for years.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Shows like Intervention and watching people around me waste away because of addiction depresses me greatly, and when that happens I want to drink a lot. Actually, the last time I saw Intervention I was drunk (bad idea--you get really paranoid and feel insanely guilty). Long story short, I don't watch Intervention anymore.

Hang in there, meadow4. I'm only on day 16 (my longest ever was about 33 days--hopefully this time lasts longer). You can watch whatever you want, but why not try some comedy instead? I mean, if watching Intervention tempts you to drink, change the channel. Come here instead and read the posts at SR for real life stories if that's what you need. I personally find that coming here helps me to NOT drink.

Oh yeah, by the way, you're on day 3, so you're probably going through withdrawal right now. Take it easy, get some rest, eat if you can keep it down, and do what you can to withstand giving in. No matter what happens, know that there are good people at SR who will support you.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

"Intervention" shows you people who are despearately screwed up, but who also have loved ones trying desperately to save them.

There is a sick part of me that liked creating that kind of drama when I was drinking. I wanted to be the center of attention, wanted to be "saved" by people who loved me. I think that may be why I got obsessed with watching that show for awhile. It's a good show for giving a sense of the drama of addiction, but no show can really depict the suffering and the sheer unrelenting *boredom* of this disease, and it can't possibly convey what it feels like when all those people pulling for you give up in disgust.

How about watching the Olympics instead?

Hang in there, whatever you do.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I absolutely love Intervention. It's my favorite show. It doesn't make me want to drink, quite the opposite in fact. I enjoy seeing the end result when the individual IS on the road to recovery. It gives me hope!

I hate hate hate to see the episdoes where they relapse. But at the same time, I think that's what makes this show so captivating...it's real. (as real as tv can be of course)

I watch all the episodes on youtube...i think they're all on there.

Anyone see this weeks by chance? With the girl inhaling the dust cleaner?
Old 08-13-2008, 01:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've always been kind of a sicko and like watching morbid programs. I really like Intervention. I try not to ever miss a new episode. It doesn't make me want to use or I wouldn't watch it. It has the opposite effect for me.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

....Intervention has no revleance in my experiences
Here is my story....

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-my-story.html

That is in our Stories Forum.
To share there...a member must have 1 year of recovery...
That means 115 of us are winners over addiction...
Old 08-13-2008, 01:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Meadow....on day 3 I think everyone wants to drink again.
De toxing from alcohol is difficult.

Congratulations on your new beginning...
Old 08-13-2008, 07:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If it triggers you to drink STOP watching the show.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Exactly Tib. I don't want to bring up AA since you didn't but I will tell you that I will extinguish anybody s drunkalog or war story for the very reason that you mentioned. Others in the group, especially the newcomer, may have a tendency to think that they are OK since their story isn't as bad as the person talking.
There are those who have never been to jail, haven't dot a DUI or a divorce. Have never been fired or written a bad check. Therefore they can't be an Alcoholic. Right?
That couldn't be further from the truth. If what you see on TV causes you to rethink your position turn it off until you're absolutely certain as to whether you are or you aren't an Alcoholic.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If nothing changes, nothing changes. Like "Bamboozle" says.............If "Intervention" makes you wanna drink, change the channel.

I was told when I came in................I had to change everything. That meant I had to change all my behaviors. Stop hanging out with old friends or going to old places I drank at. All because it was unhealthy for me.

My life completely changed. But, on the flip side I am sober today. And that change I can live with.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR and congrats on 3 days without a drink.

"Intervention" I have noticed has one common thread with the shows I have seen.

Every single one I have seen so for has been families/freinds/spouses/signifigant others enableing the alcoholics and addicts so badly that many times the alcoholic/addict is so far gone that the intervention bombs.

Most alcoholics need to hit thier bottom in order to see that they have to quit drinking, every show I have seen so far has involved at least one individual if not an entire family having spent years "helping" the poor pitiful alcoholic/drug addict out of every problem they have. Heck I would still be drinking today or dead if folks had kept "helping" me by taking care of all my problems for me.

Why quit when I was suffering no consequences.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I happen to like the show, it does not trigger me in any way.

I am curious about your comment Taz...

"Every single one I have seen so for has been families/freinds/spouses/signifigant others enableing the alcoholics and addicts so badly that many times the alcoholic/addict is so far gone that the intervention bombs."

I know your story from your many posts, are you saying no one enabled you to drink for 40 years?
Old 08-14-2008, 05:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

To a degree they did, it was not until the last 2 years of my drinking when my tolerance went haywire that my families tolerance for my crap became unacceptable to them.

Yes my wife enabled me by keeping the bills paid, the insurance up on the vehicles, by making excuses for why I did not go to family functions.

In the last few years of my drinking all I did was go to work and drink, I did nothing else except mow the grass and fix dinner. My wife did everything else. I went no where with my family unless I could drink.

In a nut shell she enabled me by staying with me, sleeping in the same bed, washing my clothes, accepting my that I was a drunk alcoholic.

The last 2 years were the straw that broke the camels back, the kids never had friends over because I embarassed them and their friends. My wife saw that my drinking was destroying my childrens lifes.

When she told me they were leaving she said "I will not let the kids watch you drink your self to death."

It was at that point Bugs that I had a moment of clarity and realized that without her doing basically everything for me except do my job and buy my beer I was screwed, I knew I could not do everything she was doing for me at the time, which meant in fairly short order the utilities would get cut off, I would start missing so much work I would lose my job and my truck, which would lead to me losing my house. My enabler was leaving.

Basically bugs what I am saying is that I kept drinking as long as my wife enabled me to drink.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I agree with you Taz, the family members, etc do enable all of the addicts on Intervention. They're also always such extreme cases. I guess this is also a result of their attempts to make "good tv."
Old 08-14-2008, 06:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I have heard it said that interventions are more for the loved ones of the alcoholic/addict then the alcoholic/addict them selfs, it lets the family have the feeling that they have honestly tried. The one thing I do like about the interventionist is they usually have the families tell the alcoholic/addict that if they do not accept treatment they are going to break all ties with them.

I know of one man in the rooms that had an intervention by his family that has been sober for 13 years, he says he was glad he had the intervention, but he said he was ready to stop when the intervention happened. I have heard several folks who said their intervention was a waste of time, they were not ready to stop, a couple of them went to rehab just to make thier family feel better, got out and went right back to drinking when they got out.

I am not knocking interventions, I just wish the intervention industry would publish thier success rates, some of them paint these rosy picture for the families paying them to head the intervention.

This is just my opinion, but I think a far better service could be offered to families and freinds of alcoholicsa and addicts if they taught them how to detach from the alcoholic/addict with love allowing them to hit thier own bottom rather then enabling them.

Last edited by Tazman53; 08-14-2008 at 07:18 AM.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have heard of stories where an intervention backfired and shamed the addict into deeper addiction. Of course, I know many times it works wonders.

tib
Old 08-14-2008, 12:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

The show is about interventions - not recovery. I have to keep that in mind when watching at times.

What is the best outcome of a single episode? The subject agrees to enter treatment - the whole goal of the show and the intervention itself.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

A little off topic (sorry), but every time I watched Intervention I felt like the addicts were being exploited for ratings.