Notices

Sober 117 days but deployed

Old 08-13-2008, 05:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober 117 days but deployed

Been sober 117 days but I am currently deployed to Iraq and was wondering what to expect when I get back. My years of drinking and lying and decieving people is over for good, I made that decision the night before I left. I bought the book The Gifts Of Sobriety and have read it cover to cover a few times. I have invited Christ back into my life and look forward to my recovery. I will be attending AA the day I get back from deployment, I started looking for programs just three weeks after leaving. I am not afraid of relapse, I am to determined to lose this war. I was just wondering what I might expect after being sober for so long but in a place that doesn't have alcohol and then being subjected to it. What is the best way to keep away? How best to handle cravings? Things along those lines. Thanks for a great web site. It has taken me a few months to register due to old computers that have been replaced and I am glad to have the support this site offers.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Well, one thing is for sure, after 117 days you KNOW that you don't NEED to drink.

Keep coming back, THANKS FOR SERVING YOUR COUNTRY.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for your service to the country. AA is a good idea upon your return. My experience has been the longer without alcohol the less I have cravings. You sound like you have your head in the right place. I try to stay active with family, fitness, AA, etc. It is just a matter of replacing drinking activities with healthier ones. God bless.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What to expect?

Dont expect anything and you will not have to worry.

Just get to the first meeting and continue on.
I suggest getting a sponsor and working the steps........if that is the path you choose to follow.

Waste no time, my friend. Cause, my addiction/ alcoholism is waiting for me to rest on my laurels. It is just waiting for me to get comfortable in my plan of action. I have to be on my toes, and taking action at all times.

This is just my experience.

Good luck and Thank you serving our Country.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Thanks for serving your country first of all.

AA is an excellent idea, I would suggest doing a lot of meetings when you first get back, the more meetings you go to the quicker you will gain sober friends, sober friends lead to sober activities.

I would suggest going to an AA meeting as soon as you can when you get back, if they ask for newcomers to introduce them selfs, do so. You will be pleasantly surprised at how many folks will introduce them selfs. If you are not to nervous perhaps you could share just what you shared here at the meeting. Show up 10-15 minutes early and ask someone if you can help set up chairs or what ever.

If you do not have the book "Alcoholics Anonymous" yet here is a link to it on the web Big Book Online Fourth Edition Keep in mind as you read this that it is not a novel, it is a text book, so take your time reading it, ponder what you are reading, ask your self if you do not relate to what is being spoken of.

Do not hesitate to ask questions either here.

BTW when do you come home.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello,

Thank you for your service. Well, I also recommend meetings every day but to answer your question about the availability of alcohol, I avoid Bars completely, if I am going somewhere where alcohol is being served, as a military guy I'm sure you'll appreciate this... I have an exit strategy and a rally point that is free of alcohol where I can meet or call someone if need be.

Restaurants that serve alcohol haven't been a problem for me, I simply don't order it and skip over that part of the menu.

The key thing to remember is it is the first drink that gets you drunk, not the 8th, ninth or tenth. Don't take that first drink and you'll be O.K. If you are tempted to take that first drink, think it through, all the way to the part where your puking in the toilet and you'll usally find the urge will pass.

Hope this helps,

John
Old 08-13-2008, 01:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
God's Kid

If you goggle AA GSO you should get a link to our general service office in New York.

Via that website you can join AA as a loner - a person who can't get to meetings. You may find it helpful while you are away.

Loners International is a AA meeting in print and is for people who can't get to meetings for a variety of reasons. Some like yourself are in the army/navy/airforce. Or live in an isolated area where there is no AA meetings. Or because of health disabilities can't leave the house etc..

I was a member for a few years and have recently registered.
It's pretty cool getting their meeting x1 month by post.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the advice and the thanks for the service. Will be home in the fall, at that point I will have six months sobriety. Not to diminish the six months but I don't really consider myself on the clock until I get back since there isn't much here anyway. I am married with a beautiful wife and 23 month old twins that I adore. I have all that to lose so I am in this until the end. I really appreciate the advice and the votes of confidence. Thank you all.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thank you for your service to our country.

I use God and AA for my continuing recovery.
Been working quite well for me.

Blessings to you and your family
Welcome to SR...
Old 08-13-2008, 02:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

There is a Christian based recovery group called Celebrate Recovery that I've heard great things about. Glad you're getting to come home soon.

DK
Old 08-14-2008, 08:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

DK Celebrate Recovery is an very good program from what I have heard for Christians who are seeking recovery. It's roots are in AA and they have a modified version of AA's steps. There are several folks in my area that use AA and celebrate Recovery.

I have heard it is a great place for a Christian AA to attend, not being religous I have never gone to one of thier meetings, but the folks I know who use both are ggod sober people.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Yeah, I've never been either for the same reason. But I've heard it is very positive and uplifting, and they sing, which almost convinced me to go just for that!
Old 08-14-2008, 08:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi, Malone. I was living quite rustic overseas for two years doing development work. Not military, no one was shooting at me, so I'm not trying to say I've had your experience AT ALL!! But I was in an environment where alcohol was not readily available like it is in the States. I was secretly binging through the experience but when I got back the omnipresence of alcohol was very startling and i started drinking a lot more frequently. Part of the reason was because adjusting to life in the US was difficult. I felt so alone, not in contact with the people I'd served with overseas, and I felt like no one could relate to what I'd been doing for the last two years. The slang we spoke, the work we did, a common goal and a shared identity, really. Alcohol was the most accessible coping mechanism for me.

So the thing I can recommend to you is to really tie in with the military's support groups, assuming that they have them. Keep in touch, face to face if possible. When the people you've shared intense experiences with are suddenly far away, it can feel terribly lonely even when you're around family and old friends.

You sound like a very strong person... you're gonna do great *pulling for you*
Old 08-14-2008, 11:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Self Seeking,

Thanks for the support. I let my friends and fellow chiefs at my Riverine command know about my problem and they are here to support me in whatever way I need, that's what we do for each other here. I will be getting back in the fall and beginning the level 2 drug and alcohol treatment when I get back, sometime in November I believe. As far as being strong I am more motivated for this than anything before that I can remember.

Thanks for sharing your history with m, I greatly appreciate it. My main concern is the first few weeks after I get back but with the support of my friends and family I know I will beat the heck out of this.

Shawn