Notices

Almost relapsed on a Johnsonville Brat

Old 08-11-2008, 09:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Almost relapsed on a Johnsonville Brat

Seriously. Had some friends over for a BBQ and they brought the food. I did the cooking. When we sat down to eat I smelled the strong odor of beer. Sure enough the second ingredient was Wisconsin beer. Some of them know that I quit drinking and probably know why, but it was embarrassing and funny at the same time. I didn't want to chance it so I didn't eat any. I know that the alcohol most likely burned off, but was I being paranoid? Would you have eaten them?
Old 08-11-2008, 09:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

No, I don't like Brats! Seriously-probably not!
Old 08-11-2008, 09:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

No the alcohol did not burn off.
No...you are not being paranoid

No...I would not have eaten it either.
As I am now a non drinker...
the smell and taste are rancid to me...

Here is the info....

A study conducted by the US Department of Agriculture’s Nutrient Data Laboratory calculated the percentage of alcohol remaining in a dish based on various cooking methods.

The results are as follows:

Preparation Method Percent of Alcohol Retained

alcohol added to boiling liquid & removed from heat 85%
alcohol flamed 75%
no heat, stored overnight 70%
baked, 25 minutes, alcohol not stirred into mixture 45%
baked/simmered, alcohol stirred into mixture:

* 15 minutes 40%

* 30 minutes 35%

* 1 hour 25%

* 1.5 hours 20%

* 2 hours 10%

* 2.5 hours 5%

Now, it may be that the amount of alcohol in a dish is modest to start with, but the fact that some of the alcohol remains could be of significant concern to recovering alcoholics, parents, and others who have ethical or religious reasons for avoiding alcohol.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I recently ran into a similiar situation. I was on an Alaskan cruise a week ago and until then I had never realized how many deserts have alcohol in them. I have also heard that the alcohol content burns off during the cooking but I just never truly believed it. Thank you Carol for posting that info I found it very useful. I ordered a chocolate desert that looked wonderful. I took one biteful and had to discretely spit it into my napkin. The cake part of the desert was obviously soaked in a liquor. Fortunately, I found the taste disgusting rather than continuing to eat the cake. I had this happen to me with 3 different deserts on that trip. Ironically, the deserts that looked the best were the ones soaked in alcohol.

So, to shorten a long story, IMHO you did great by not eating the sausage. I personally choose to stay away from things that have alcohol in them. I use non alcohol mouthwash and if I take a medicine like Nyquil I take it in the capsul form as that does not have alcohol in it. For me it is better to be safe than sorry.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

For me it is better to be safe than sorry.
I will second that!!

IMHO you did the safe thing.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

No, I wouldn't eat it.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Please excuse me for being ignorant, but does this mean you do not use vanilla etc?
Old 08-12-2008, 05:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Lurker

They make alcohol free. I would use that. I know peeps that have relapsed on VE
Old 08-12-2008, 06:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

One of my sponsees drank a whole bottle of VE on more then one occasion.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

I would have eaten it, probably. There's a few variables there for me. For instance, if for some reason the beer odor was really strong or something...

In general, I don't have a problem with eating foods prepared with a "modest" amount of alcohol.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Why take a chance if there is Alcohol present? I am a recovered Drunk and the obsession has been lifted, but how far to do you think I would last if I swallowed a mouth full of Listerine, took a swig of VE or ate several pieces of the Rum Cake. I understand the burn off rates of booze in cooking; I love to cook, but I do not use booze in my dishes anymore. I have told the story a gazillion times but it the same with the snake and the Camper who loudly proclaims, "Why did you bite me?"
Old 08-12-2008, 07:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

On this same line of thinking, I have noticed a lot of recipes contain alcohol of some sort (red wine, mirin, etc). Any foodies out there have a list of substitutions for these liquids? I have found my attempts somewhat lacking.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
ever closer...

I have had some foods that have so many sugar alcohols in them (to reduce simple carbs) that I haven't even been able to smell them let alone eat them.
Some of the flavored coffee creamers are terrible for that!!
Old 08-12-2008, 10:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

I know I am going to run against the grain here, but please remember that it is just me, not advice to others. I have never paid any attention to foods that may contain small amounts of alcohol. This includes many dishes that are sauced with alcohol based recipes.

This has been a source of contention on several occasions and please understand that I am NOT advocating this stance nor do I care what others do. It is an individual interpretation of my program. I realize that some trace alcohol may not burn off, so please don't respond with all the amounts and warnings, it simply has worked for me and I have no intention of changing.

I don't drink the gravy or sauce, if I decide to get drunk it isn't going to be on a couple of glasses of the white wine sauce on a chicken piccata. I believe that the state of sobriety is dependant as much on motive and intention as anything else. “alcohol is but a symptom” and intent as well as the action has been the basis for these past few years of my life. This topic has always fascinated me. If by imbibing a very small amount of alcohol in a food preparation, or even the inadvertent sip of the wrong drink one is sent off on a binge, then I am left wondering if there ever was any sobriety to destroy?

I have always looked at this topic in the reverse, that is, (again only MY opinion) DOES THE FACT THAT SOMEONE ISN”T DRINKING MAKE THEM SOBER? I have come to the conclusion that an alcoholic who isn’t drinking, but does nothing else to change the cause of the alcoholic behavior isn’t sober. This being said, then in my judgment a right thinking and right acting individual who also isn’t drinking, will not jeopardize his or her sobriety by eating something that is flavored with an alcohol based sauce or preparation.

Of course if one begins to drink vanilla extract or Nyquil, then that is consumption for the purpose of “obtaining the effects that alcohol produces.” Paraphrasing the Doctors opinion by Dr. Silkworth.

I found it fascinating that I was attacked in an AA meeting a few years ago and told that "you are not sober" after I mentioned that I liked Beef Bourguignonne and didn't feel that the wine based sauce was a factor.

What I found most interesting was that MY SOBRIETY was NO LONGER MINE, but seemed to be something that was issued by public opinion.

I fully understand that this will spark some lively conversation and no doubt some condemnation, but I am just expressing my opinion regarding MY SOBRIETY.

Hey, it's early in the week and this will no doubt wake up some keyboards.

Just my two cents worth.

Jon
Old 08-12-2008, 10:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Eddie Van Halen wannabe

I have to agree with Jfanagle on this one.

Like he states, though, this is what is right for ME...not necessarily anyone else.

Am I going to go on a bender because I have some beer-battered onion rings...OR a brat?

No. I won't.

Not to offend the OP or anyone else...but I too have seen this topic heavily debated before. If an individual believes that eating or consuming any certain food or sauce will threaten his/her sobriety and they choose not to do so, then more power to them.

For me, though, I don't consider it to be a big issue.

To answer the OP's question...yes. I would have eaten the brat. I love them...always have. Even long before drinking was ever an issue. Like Jfanagle alluded to...if I am going to get drunk I surely am not going to do it by eating a case of beer brats.

I would let everything I have worked for lately go to hell and get good and f@#$%^& WASTED.

Just MY two hundredths of one dollar.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Does anyone know how many pieces of Tiramisu it takes to kick off the craving?

I don't, so I don't eat it at all - fwiw I would have not eaten the brats with full knowledge that they were boiled in beer (or however they are made).

When the doctor says that these 'allergic' types can never use alcohol safely in any form whatsoever - I take it seriously. I am the allergic type.

That being said - I don't think that eating a dish where alcohol was used in the prep constitutes a lack of sobriety or a relapse of any type. It's all about the intention. More than likely - almost gauranteed - I have eaten a dish where alcohol was somewhere used in the preparation, but not knowingly. Heck - I didn't even know that Beef Bourguignonne used alcohol in it's creation, then again, I don't know the last time I ate that dish..but if I can smell alcohol in it (ie Tiramisu) - there isn't a chance in hell that I will purposely put it in my mouth.

It's probably safe to eat these foods - but can anyone gaurantee that it's 100% safe?

For me - I would just as soon avoid alcohol in any form whatsoever. Play it safe.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

OJ has between .2 -.5%.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
ever closer...

Several years ago my mom and dad went on a cruise. My dad had a dessert with alcohol (at that time he was about 20 years sober) and it made him so sick and gave him an awful hangover feeling that ruined a day of his trip. Even though it didn't start him drinking he said it would have been easier to just not have the dessert if he had know alcohol was in it.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

Originally Posted by sugErspun View Post
Does anyone know how many pieces of Tiramisu it takes to kick off the craving?
Oh now don't cloud the issue with trick questions here. Did you intentionally phrase that in such a way as to imply that at some point, when eating tiramisu, everyone would automatically get a craving?

To answer your question, no amount of tiramisu would get me craving. I would get sick of the stuff first.

What are we debating here? Are we discussing why you might avoid foods that contain alcohol? Or, are we discussing why YOU WANT me to avoid foods with alcohol?
Old 08-12-2008, 08:18 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I would have ate them and God help anyone that turned their back on theirs. I would have eaten theirs too. I love Brats.
If the day should ever come that I am found with some Johnsonville Brats in my glove box or out in the garage I'll get some help somewhere.
I'm an Alcoholic. I drink Alcohol and it makes me crave more. I don't get that from brats.