Notices

Almost relapsed on a Johnsonville Brat

Old 08-12-2008, 09:36 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Does anyone know how many pieces of Tiramisu it takes to kick off the craving?
I've done 3 with no ill effects...after that, I have no first hand knowledge...
you're on your own LOL

D
Old 08-13-2008, 12:28 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by justanothrdrunk View Post
Oh now don't cloud the issue with trick questions here. Did you intentionally phrase that in such a way as to imply that at some point, when eating tiramisu, everyone would automatically get a craving?

To answer your question, no amount of tiramisu would get me craving. I would get sick of the stuff first.

What are we debating here? Are we discussing why you might avoid foods that contain alcohol? Or, are we discussing why YOU WANT me to avoid foods with alcohol?
Relax - there's no trick at all. Well made tiramisu has so much alcohol in it that you can smell it - there is no 'burn off' either. If alcohol causes the craving - I see it as very relevant to the entire thread..I think that it is possible for someone to probably get drunk if they ate enough of the stuff. Rum Balls- same thing. Maybe you get sick - maybe I start looking for a drink. Who knows.

To answer your questions: I shared about my take on the subject - and how I live my life. Nowhere did I imply that it was the right way of doing things, or that anyone else should even take it into consideration for their own. In fact - when I reread the post, I still don't see what I posted as dogmatic. If it was taken that way - maybe it hit a nerve, but that was not the intent, I assure you.

fwiw - I dont WANT anyone to do anything because of my opinion on a matter..not trying to win votes here - just share.

Thank you for replying to my post - I am glad you got some use out of it.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:42 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

LOL I am with Pink on this! When I start hiding them or lying that I have eaten any I know where to get help!
Old 08-13-2008, 03:49 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Jon I am sure I have had some alcohol in some food I have eaten at some resteraunt, I am not a chef so I have no real idea what recipes may contain alcohol and one that don't, at home I choose not to cook with any alcohol, but saying that I am sure that some bottled sauce or flavoring I have used had some alcohol in it.

To each their own, my sobriety is mine, yours is yours, your sobriety is no less than nor any greater then mine.

I am with Bugs, I really like what Pink said:

If the day should ever come that I am found with some Johnsonville Brats in my glove box or out in the garage I'll get some help somewhere.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:30 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

Back to the original post...

I did comment that I probably would have had a brat. But I want to also add that I don't think Markman was being paranoid either.

We all have our triggers. I avoided a certain grocery store for a while because it was right next to my primary liquor store. Was that paranoid? Beats me. I no longer avoid that store. In early sobriety, I didn't have the same spiritual fitness I do now.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:00 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I once threw away 2 cans of soup that contained alcohol, I smelt it instantly when I opened the can, it even gave me goosebumps.

Funny thing was I had nothing else to eat at the time so I ended up having an apple...

I wouldn't have eaten them either Markman.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:09 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I think the true question is what is the intent behind the motive? Am I eating the brat because it is dinner time and I am hungry or am I eating it because it is soaked in beer?
Old 08-15-2008, 08:28 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'll eat brats all day long, I'll also have shrimp in wine sauce. That is not drinking to me.

Drinking is pulling one of those beers from the brat cooler and downing it, have a glass of wine while I'm cooking the shrimp. Is it alcohol, yes I suppose so. I can have a brat and not fall off the wagon, it is all in my head.

We can't stop living because we stopped drinking. AA and the Big Book are lifesavers, they keep me centered; but I'm realizing more and more that will power is just as powerful. No thanks, I'll just have water. People are loving me at barbecues these days