Notices

Hypoglycemia in Early Sobriety?

Old 08-07-2008, 10:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hypoglycemia in Early Sobriety?

Did anyone else notice really bad hypoglycemia (sugar crashes) in early sobriety?

This has become a major problem for me. I'm going to be getting a full blood test done sometime in the next week or so, then see a doctor, but in the meantime I need to do something about this because it is driving me CRAZY. I like to eat a lot of fresh fruit in the morning hours because it's supposed to be really good for your digestive system and overall health, but what should I add to it so that my blood sugar doesn't crash within an hour? Would a piece of cheese or some nuts do the trick, or am I going to have to add some sort of highly processed carb-laden extra?

I'm not asking for medical advice, just want to know your experiences! And if you have had this problem, what foods did you eat to help it? I'm trying really hard to stick to natural and non-processed foods. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You're right on with the nuts and cheese or some turkey bacon, cottage cheese, etc. Protein keeps your blood sugar stable. Bread, cereal, muffins will send you crashing up and down. It does for me anyway.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah, I tried adding some low sugar/protein cereal in with the fruit this morning, it did absolutely NO good.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I followed the eating plan in the back of
"Under The Influence" for about 6 months
and consider it was a big help.

I've not compared it to one for hypoglycemia
but I have a strong hunch they are quite close.

Hope all goes well for you SG...
Old 08-08-2008, 07:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia when I started to try to quit drinking. I had the three hour glucose test and the doctor said I am lucky I'm not dead. I almost passed out driving because my sugar was low. The doctor told me to eat 6 small meals a day and to include carbs and protein for each of them. This seems to have worked because I haven't had any more episodes. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.
Even though I had the blood tests I still think that it was the withdrawl of beer that did it.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Yes, it was to the point that I kept a jar of dry roasted nuts in my vehicle, in my desk drawer at work, at home, and a bag of them in my purse.

By about a year sober the hypoglycemia had settled down and my blood work was again normal, until at 21 years sober we found out I was now diabetic.

However, not everyone ends up diabetic, rofl. Many I have known are hypoglycemic in early recovery. Nuts, cheese, protein, helps a lot. I used the dry roasted peanuts because they were easy to always have around.

Get your blood work done and then consult with your doctor and ask your questions of him/her.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 08-09-2008, 02:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nuts are good.. I've been having a small handful of them before leaving the house the past couple days. I've also cut back on my morning fruit. My new sponsor told me that she gets sugar crashes if she eats more than 4 ounces of fruit at a time. That makes a lot of sense to me.

I feel SO much better physically since getting that under control. I swear for the past week I had low blood sugar pretty much every single day all day. Makes a huge difference to get it under control.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Don't know if this is hypoglycemia or what, but I've been feeling very dizzy and weak on and off. I also try to avoid processed food, but it seems that I have dizzy episodes whether I eat or not. I've always had low blood pressure tho so maybe that's doing it. Dunno.

Nuts are good cause it's not a sugar spike like with carbs. A steady sugar level instead of peaks and valleys. I'm glad you're seeing the doctor about this.

:ghug3