Notices

Called in a drunk driver this morning

Old 08-05-2008, 03:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Computer Surgeon

Called in a drunk driver this morning

This morning about 6 I was at the McD's drive through getting a bite, and I noticed the guy in the Jeep in front of me was behaving strangely. After ordering he pulled forward to the window, and he began punching his windshield - hard - with a closed fist. His windshield was all spiderwebbed and flexing in a few places. It'd obviously been broken before by something. His windows were down, and I could hear him yelling/talking. He sounded drunk. After he got his food he sped away wildly. When I got my food the McDonald's lady was talking to a coworker over her shoulder and mentioned something about him being crazy and drunk.

When I pulled out of McD's onto the road I ended up stopped at a red light behind this drunk guy. When the light turned green he sped off and swerved a few times, crossing the double yellow in the center then the lane marker to his right.

I was close to home so I turned into my driveway and called 911. I gave a full report with his license plate/description and the dispatcher said they'd send someone out. She also asked if I would be a witness and I said sure.

6 months ago that could have been me at the drive-through.

Before I called I hesitated. Should I do this? What if he get's a DUI and loses his job and can't support his family? But what if he hits and kills someone? "Do the right thing." I heard that in my head and called. It actually feels normal now; doing the right thing. Only 5 months sober but it feels normal. I don't have to lie or cheat or steal, and I don't have to drink no matter what.

I almost wish I could have gotten a DUI during my active use. Maybe it would have saved me a few years of the living hell I was going through, not to mention the danger I was needlessly putting the public in...
Old 08-05-2008, 03:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on doing the right thing. Hopefully this drunk driver will get caught and see the light. His reprecussions of this are from his own actions, not yours. You possibly saved his life and other innocent drivers going to work.
It is great that you have 5mo sobriety. Things will only get better for you.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great job. You quite possibly also might have saved a life !
Old 08-06-2008, 06:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
ever closer...

You sooo did the right thing. I was at a resturant the other evening with my daughter and watched this table of people get drunker and drunker. I was so embarassed for these 2 women in the group, I just saw myself over and over.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well done on making the right choice
and congratulations on your sober time :atv
Old 08-06-2008, 06:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Good job, I had to do the same thing Monday, not sure if they were drunk, drugged, or simply had no business behind the wheel, but at 70 miles an hour, weaving all over the road is deadly.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Congrats on your sober time.

I also call in suspiciuos drunk drivers. Thank G_D for cell phones. I have even stayed on with 911 and followed at a safe distance giving cross streets until an officer arrived to take over.

Yes, years ago when still practicing I drove drunk. Never got a DUI but sure don't know why. Here in NM they are really cracking down on DD and run numerous Sobriety Check Points on any day or time of the week and in spots on roads where folks cannot turn around to avoid the checkpoint.

I think you did a very courageous act! Good for you!!!!!!

Love and hugs,
Old 08-06-2008, 03:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Day One's Can RIP!!!

I think you did the right thing and here is why.

Years ago there was a young woman who drank in the same bar that I drank in. She lived on the same block as the bar so she usually walked. She didn't go to other bars because she knew she was a drunk and she didn't want to drive.

One night she was talking to all of us around the bar & she said she was going to meet some friends at another bar . . . and that she'd have to drive to get there.

My husband & a friend discussed letting the air out of her tires or disconnecting her distributor cap so she wouldn't be able to drive. She'd already had a lot to drink.

They did neither of those things and in the early hours of the next morning, she had a car accident and was killed.

I would never hesitate to call 911 on someone who was driving erratically. We all know that drunk drivers can affect far more people than the person who is injured or killed.