Notices

Getting serious...

Old 07-14-2003, 08:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting serious...

I did my serious drinking many years ago, then gradually realized I had a problem and brought it under control. For a long time, however, I wavered between "moderation" and abstinence. So occasionally I'd have a glass of wine with my wife or friends, or a drink before dinner. Inevitably, however, I found that doing this day after day put me on a slippery slope, drinking more week after week, and eventually experiencing the sense that I was losing control of my life, obsessing about my next drink, etc. More recently, I've been going weeks at a time without a drink; and when I did succumb to a glass of wine, I noticed that it was unpleasant, and two glasses led to a poor night's sleep and even a slight hangover the next day. Three weeks ago, I had the last such experience -- on our anniversary, I had two glasses of wine with my wife, enjoying it for the first 30 minutes and then feeling gradually worse, waking at 2 am feeling anxious, and definitely hungover most of the next day.

I hope I've learned my lesson. Whatever I did to my brain in my twenties and early thirties, it reacts to alcohol like an allergy. The only solution is to be a teetotaler, say so openly, and laugh about it. Some of us just can't drink.

Thanks for listening... :-)
Old 07-14-2003, 09:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Sounds As

though you made a wise choice Bob

Good for you :shades:

Please post any questions or concerns you might have

Lots of understanding and support here.
Old 07-14-2003, 12:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

Good for you Bob!

I'm glad that you get the negative results soon after the drinking. If you didn't, you might go down the slippery slope that led to my obsession and the disease of alcoholism.

It sounds like you have it (alcoholism) to react so strongly to alcohol. It sounds like a definite allergy. But, you moderate your drinking :-)

If you start having problems, call your local AA.