Notices

new to aa

Old 07-14-2003, 07:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

new to aa

I'm new to aa. I am a 44 year old alcoholic.My drinking was causing all kinds of family problems.My wife very seldom is speaking to me. I went to a few meetings a couple of years ago when I lost my driver's license.I have not had a drink in 2 days.I could sure use one but I don't want to take it.I'm going through a lot of pain right now all self inflicted.Is there any good advice to help me stay sober.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Drewby,welcome to the forums.

Go to the doctor and get a good check up.Years of drinking takes a terrible toll on our bodies and a doctor will be able to make a good assesment of your condition and make some recommendations.

You also mentioned AA.If you are not opposed to the idea maybe now is a very good time to check out a few meetings again.

Without commitment it is unlikely that AA will work for you.Hopefully now your committment to recovery is a lot stronger.

In the meantime please feel free to hang out here with us as much as you like.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

Congrats on the 2 days!

The only way you are going to stay sober is with help. And, being in AA, of course I'm going to recommend it. Go to a meeting tonight and listen, maybe even talk if you feel up to it.

And, as Peter said, get to a doctor as soon as possible. You need medical attention immediately! It is a BAD idea to detox on your own.

Is your wife in Al Anon? if not, suggest Al Anon to her. It is for ppl who are wives/partners of alcoholics. There is a forum for Al Anon in these forums. Maybe get her to read some of it.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Chy

Ditto what Moot and Peter said!

You know what you must do. You know you can NOT take that drink today! Give AA another chance. Let yourself be happy again!

YOU CAN DO IT and we are all here for you!
Old 07-15-2003, 10:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree with everyone who posted. I´ve been in recovery since 1986 and I know how difficult it is to get through the first days. Take it one hour, even one minute at the time - or as we say in French AA: I´m not taking a drink for the next 24 hours. This feeling will pass."

Use adversity.