Notices

Campril

Old 07-22-2008, 06:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Campril

Hi all. I hope you are all doing well. I mostly post on the friends and family of alcoholics but I was looking for some kowledge.

My husband recently starting taking the medication campril for his alcoholism and is seeking therapy and starting an out patient program.

Have any of you had any success with campril. In the past he has tried naltrexone and antabuse both with failure.

Thank you so much for all your help and congratulations to all of you for your recovery and starts to recovery. I wish you all the best and look forward to hearing from you.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I've taken both Campral and Naltrexone and they have worked well for me. First and foremost, the person has to really want to stop drinking.

How does one fail with antabuse? Don't you get really sick if you drink while taking it?
Old 07-22-2008, 07:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Suki...He drank right over the antabuse. He did great on it for about two months. then used some mouth wash while getting ready in the morning and got really sick. Well I guess he figured that getting sick was not so bad and just started drinking on it. Of course I took the meds away after he was drinking heavily on them.

I thought for sure at the time the antabuse would help.

I am so happy you are doing well with the campril. How long were you sober before you started taking them. I think you have to have all alcohol out of your system before you start?

i don't want to give up on the meds just yet, but I am not sure if he should take them again tomorrow after he drank today while on them.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I spent 6 days in medical detox and when I was discharged, they sent me home with a script for the Campral and Naltrexone. I took two Campral 3 times a day and only took the Naltrexone at night.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am so glad for you. I wish I knew if I shoud continue to have him take the meds tomorrow. I don't want to give up that easily this time.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I wish I knew if I shoud continue to have him take the meds tomorrow.
It's not up to you. His choice, his responsibility for drinking today.

As has been suggested in friends and family, it's time for YOU to take care of YOU. You are not his mommy. Please, please go to Alanon. Listen, ask questions, engrave the 3 C's on your heart:

You didn't CAUSE it,

You can't CONTROL it, and

You can't CURE it.

Sweetie, you can't help him with this one. He has to do this on his own.

Love and hugs,
Old 07-23-2008, 03:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

No med will stop an alcoholic from drinking who is not ready to stop drinking, read the label on all of them, every single one of them says something to the effect "This medication is only effective if taken while working a long term recovery program."

Take Lauries advice!
Old 07-23-2008, 04:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by laurie6781 View Post
It's not up to you. His choice, his responsibility for drinking today.

As has been suggested in friends and family, it's time for YOU to take care of YOU. You are not his mommy. Please, please go to Alanon. Listen, ask questions, engrave the 3 C's on your heart:

You didn't CAUSE it,

You can't CONTROL it, and

You can't CURE it.

Sweetie, you can't help him with this one. He has to do this on his own.

Love and hugs,
Yes, my girlfriend is also an alcoholic, as I am. She suffers seizures because of her drinking but is convinced it is something else. So I said to her "go and get the examinations and if it is not drink related that will be great wont it cause you can continue drinking?" Her response - "Yes, exactly". She could die from these seizures but loves the drink so much she will clutch at any straw to continue.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Just a reminder....from our SR Policy Rules & Regs...

Please do not give medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice.
It's impossible to know what is safe for anyone else
That is why a medical professional's advice is wise.

Thanks Everyone...
Old 07-23-2008, 02:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sorry I was just looking for some help. I appreciate everyones help. The counselor that he is seeing said it was actually better for me to administer the medications to him to make sure he was taking them. But who knows.

Anyway thanks for your help. I was just looking to see how people did not campril.