Notices

Hello

Old 07-21-2008, 09:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

that I traded my addiction to food for an addiction to alcohol...and now that Im dealing with my alcohol problem....Im afraid of being the "fat girl" again.....
Old 07-21-2008, 09:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi LG...
how long have you been sober?
Are you eating a healthy diet now?
Old 07-21-2008, 09:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

well, I had gastric bypass 5 years ago and lost 150 lbs....Im trying to be healthy....just holding on to those old fat feelings....and dont want them to return after all my hard work
Old 07-21-2008, 10:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Wow! that's impressive Congratulations!

The reason I asked is because I followed
an eating plan in early sobriety and it worked well.

You can find it in the book
"Umder The Influence"

Also..I am fat these days..
I put on 3 lbs. a year since I quit drinking.
60 all in all.
I suspose the difference is I know I am fat
but my mind thinks I am thin....
How weird is that?
Old 07-21-2008, 10:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
God's Kid

When I first got sober

I chunked on the weight. I went from eating nothing to eating EVERYTHING. So I got pretty big. Had to buy plus size clothes etc... I went to a couple of OA meetings too.

Then the relationship I was in ended and I got 'fit and healthy' until I got into another relationship and packed all the weight back on.

Since that relationship ended and because I now have serious helath issues, I am an average weight (some say I am too skinny but the docs say I have to loose more weight) and I am trying to maintain it.

If it came down to it, I'd rather be fat than drunk.

My first sponsor told me, overeaters can sometimes be confused with alcoholics because they tend to treat alcohol like food and binge on it.

I think my issues with food come from having a mother who has an eating disorder and an older sister who has one too. My younger sister can loose and gain weight at an alarming speed. Mine also seem to become obvious when I am in a relationship I am unhappy in but won't leave. I.e. I get fat so I am not attractive to my partner.

Have you been to an OA meeting before?
Old 07-22-2008, 01:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I packed on about 30 lbs real quick (up to 250) when I sobered up - but people told me I looked better! I certainly felt better.

I still need to lose some weight, but since my mind and body are sober I can now do something about it. Also, I like to remind myself that will never be arrested for "driving while fat".
Old 07-22-2008, 03:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Well I put on a little weight when I sobered up, maybe 10 pounds, but then again I was overweight when I was drinking due to a beer belly and a severely swollen liver. As the swelling of my liver went down I started getting asked if I was losing weight!!! LOL

When I was drinking I could have cared less how I looked, for the last 5 years I did not care much about anything, little lone how I looked! When I sobered up as the swelling of my liver went down, the puffy face went away and my skin started to look normal again I had a lot of folks tell me how much better I looked.

As Liz said:

Most people prefer a plump person over a drunk person!!!!

I also like what dgillz said:

I still need to lose some weight, but since my mind and body are sober I can now do something about it. Also, I like to remind myself that will never be arrested for "driving while fat".
I have always prefered ladies with a bit of weight, as I have always said, thin may be in, but phat is where it is at!!!! LOL

I will take chunk over drunk any day of the week.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
ever closer...

LG, I know what you are talking about exactally! I had gastric bypass in '05. I lost about 100 lbs and did great for about a year. I was even teaching water aerobic classes. Well the drink caught back up with me. I had an illusion for a while that just losing weight would cure all my problems!! And for the last 2 years i counted my carbs by the amount of beer i drank. I am now 100 days sober and starting to refocus on my health and diet. It is so true that some just change one addiction for another. I just can't seem to get addicted to anything healthy for me!!!!
Old 07-22-2008, 05:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I just can't seem to get addicted to anything healthy for me!!!!
My wife jokingly says that I am addicted to AA, we both agree that it is an excellent addiction.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hiya LG- i hope you are well

would it be useful for you to see a nutrition expert (whatever they are called) and see if they can do something for you????

also- have been to see a therapist at all- because you may underlining issues that are making you feel like this

stay strong
becca
x
Old 07-22-2008, 07:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The important thing here is that you KNOW you have addictive tendencies! As long as you stay aware and real about the problem, you are so much closer to dealing with it. Good for you for understanding there's a problem! And if you've already dealt with eating issues, you are at least more aware than the average folk about what's good/bad for you with eating.

I'm thinking of you today! (and trying soo hard to not think of the Caramilk bar in my purse.... )
Old 07-22-2008, 08:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I'm addicted to my fitness program now, a full out obsession actually, it helps combat any desire to do drugs, drink, or put on weight.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
God's Kid

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
Also, I like to remind myself that will never be arrested for "driving while fat".
DWE

driving while eating

Ha,ha,ha

Old 07-22-2008, 01:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hello,

I lost weight big time when I quit, of course I also started exercising, running a lot. I would recommend that you start an exercise regimen, it will benefit your mental health, your Sobriety and your body.

John
Old 07-22-2008, 04:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was 6'1" and a "women-getting" 200 when I started.

I gained 70 pounds while drinking.

Since sober I have lost 40 while doing nothing but eating better (lots of whole grains and vegetables; fiber will be your friend), lots and lots of water and recommended exercise.

I've lost two pants sizes since March. Maybe not fast enough for some, but I see it as good progress.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

I'm just glad your sober. :ghug3
Old 07-22-2008, 08:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I won't lose my kids if I'm fat, if I'm using/drinking I can't live in the house with them ever again.

I had gastric bypass about five years ago. I am joining a gym tomorrow. I've been clean and sober just over a year. I gained 60lbs while getting clean and sober (took me a few years to do this) but I just feel blessed to be alive. I can't tell you if you will gain weight, what I can tell you is that no matter how big/small you are sobriety rocks. I'd keep the 60lbs on if it was either that or using/drinking again.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

yeah, i'm just glad your sober too LG - all the rest in its own time.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Little by Little... Welcome to SR LG!
Old 07-24-2008, 02:11 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lizw View Post

I'd rather be sober and slim! But darn it sometimes the two don't go hand in hand.

When I first got sober, I put on 10 pounds quickly. But now I'm on a very healthy diet and not night-eating anymore... it took me throwing out all my junk food - even snacks and bread products - and keeping a lot of fruit and stuff around to keep me from night-snacking. And I'm finally losing weight again... just slowly.