Notices

Money and Interconnectedness

Old 07-17-2008, 07:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Money and Interconnectedness

I was on break thinking about all the money i am having to spend on repairs to my basement which flooded....I had a little epiphemy!

You know money is just a symbol of our interconnectedness. The construction company will be helping me with my life by doing the thing that they do best...their "calling" so to speak. So I am paying alot of money, but they will take that money and use it to "pay" someone else for groceries, rent cars, etc. Think of how many people will be beniffited by trading services...it is very circular too...cause those people who this money is passed on to will sometimes use some of it to save up to send their kids to college...(where I work) and they will pay money for tuition etc. and tax payers pay taxes which all go in the pot that pays my salary for coming to work each day and being of service to my department that educates their kids. (my "calling")

I was just sorta wowed at how money can show me the interconectednes of all our lives and is simply an investment in each others lives.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

yes, I try to remember that when I have huge bills to pay . The money doesn't really belong to me.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Amanda...

About a month ago Frankie started a thread in
Alcoholism-12 Step Forum on money.
Also.....Rufus had a thread going on money.

Popular topic it seems
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yeah - i had read those....and now I can't get it's a wonderful life out of my head!!!!!! with my new bank loan i will have recieved more than I have given for quite some time...but this point of view is much better than the one I had 2 years ago!!!!!

Old 07-17-2008, 09:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good stuff Amanda...
Old 07-17-2008, 01:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
where the light is

Thanks Ananda.

You really got me thinking. I live in a small town and in many businesses the owners/employees are friends, acquaintances, relatives, parents of my kid's classmates, other hockey/soccer moms & dads, my fellow AA members, etc. And it's not like I have to personally know people - they are regular folks like me making a living and supporting their families.

I have certainly become less troubled when it comes to spending money. Rising food/gas prices and unexpected expenses are not pleasant but thankfully I am able to deal with it and adjust where I have to. I am just so fortunate that my family has a nice/safe home, food on the table, and we love each other. Everything else is a really nice extra.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey!!!

It was me that originally came up with the thread, "Money the root of all evil???"

Sorry. My ego got in the way. Darn shortcomings and their prowlness!!!

Honestly I'm not that arrogant.

If you want to combat the bad economy you have to simply look at what you need and what you think you need. I can get bad at that sometimes. I have two hobbies, backpacking and photography. Both these hobbies can get very, very expensive. I remind myself that I have to have patience and common sense. Yeah I want the $700.00 Cannon Rebel SLR camera. Yeah I want the $100.00 MSR Hyperflow water filter for filtering water when I'm camping on the trail. But I really don't need (or can afford) to buy them right now. It's just stuff. If I want it bad enough, I need patience and save up for it. I also have to remind myself of the important things. If I ever want to move out of my small crackerbox house I need to think about it before buying toys (for me).

The world's not all about me, and if I'm not careful I'll pay for it, literally.

Tom