Notices

I'm a cop now. Nobody move!!!

Old 07-15-2008, 01:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

I'm a cop now. Nobody move!!!

Ok not really a cop but as close as I'll ever be.

I'm real excited about Wednesday night. My probation officer has set up a program for probation violators. Instead of sending us back to the judge or back to jail the violator, ok, I go before a small group of people who ask questions and give assignments or even send me back to jail (that's what I heard). Drinking is a violation but I only did that once........well I only got caught once. I haven't had a drink since.

Last Wednesday I went there because I missed check in for the month of June. That's when I got the idea. This morning my PO came by to check on me and I asked him.

It's official!!! Starting tomorrow I will be sitting on the other side of the table!!!!! I'm feeling really good. I get to go every Wednesday night and try to help people in trouble with the law because of there addictions.

This is a HUGE step in my continued recovery. If I can help just one person.......

And I only have 172 days of sobriety. Just imagine what it will be like to have 173. I can't wait. The idea of drinking has become so foreign to me. The last thing I want to do is numb myself from........anything.

Somebody pinch me.

I am so grateful for this gift that has been given me I don't know what to say. I think I'll just sit here and enjoy my tears of gratitude.

Thank you for keeping me sober today. :praying
Old 07-15-2008, 01:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
You have made HUGE steps, it's been inspirational to me to watch you progress in your recovery. Wow, you're coming up on 6 months, amazing huh?

It sounds like a great opportunity to share your experience. Any chance we'll get to see you on YouTube? ;-)
Old 07-15-2008, 02:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Is that like The Drug Court Program?
Old 07-15-2008, 03:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Darn pigs!!! Always bossin people around.

Congrats. Service work at your door step.

Tom
Old 07-15-2008, 04:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

What a great way to help yourself by helping others! Way to go!!

:ghug3
Old 07-15-2008, 04:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That is awsome! Great news and good luck to you
Old 07-15-2008, 04:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Is that like The Drug Court Program?
More like Probationers group, and policing and deciding when someone on Probation has goofed up.

It's being tried in several areas of Utah, and so far, the results seem to be very positive.

Congrats Dean, that is an accomplishment to be proud of!!!!!

Also Way To Go, as you are coming up on 6 months!!!!! Pretty impressive!!! Now, don't let it go to your head, lol, keep watching where you place your feet.........................it will keep you focused.

Love and hugs,
Old 07-15-2008, 08:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to know you are making progress!

Enjoy your new adventure.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Be careful not to get all caught up in others lives, nothing worse than a reformed anything. Not everyone will make progress or even want to. Just keep your mind in your own recovery do your best expect the worse if you can help one which may just be yourself I'd say this is a sucess.JMHO
Old 07-16-2008, 04:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Dean that is really awesome, you have become "THE MAN"!!!!
Old 07-16-2008, 05:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

... and who do you help first my friend as you sit to listen? I am proud of your hard work and devotion today. Please remember who comes first and that God has the power not us.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
where the light is

Six month ago, bet you never thought you would be doing this! Everything happens for a reason.

I'm gonna start calling you Joe Friday !
Old 07-16-2008, 04:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

sounds like a good step 11 to me
Old 07-19-2008, 02:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

I went to "CAB" Wednesday night and found it to be everything I was hoping for and more. I learned something I hadn't understood before because I have never experienced it before.

My intention for the first night was to listen and observe. We had 3 people come before us and with 2 of them I found myself wanting to ask them some questions but was to nervous. I can talk infront of others about my ESH in AA meetings but this is something entirely different. The other people on the panel don't appear to know much about alcoholism or addiction so I can see where I will be able to contribute when and if I ever find my voice. So the evening passed without me saving, fixing or even helping anyone. I did nothing.

Afterwards I had to sit and wait for over an hour for a ride home. That was when I was overwhelmed with gratitude and a deep sense of joy. A year ago I was in jail, 6 months ago I would have spent the evening drunk, a week ago I would have been home watching TV, instead I was there. I spent the evening in a small police station listening. I learned that I didn't have to save, fix or even help anyone. I only had to be willing. Today God has given me the gift of willingness. Something I haven't had for a very long time.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
"Welcome To The Future..."

Deany,

Sounds great! I wish you much success in your endeavors, and hope that you will inspire yourself more than anyone else! I know you will be a good person to have on the other side. We need more people like you who listen, give their honest opinion, and everlasting support!

Thanks for always being a great friend to me! You truly mean a lot to me and so many others here at SR! God has blessed you once again for your hard work and determination to stay sober! May He continue to bless you always!

Love,

butterfly19 (2930 to you big guy )