Notices

Am I?

Old 07-11-2008, 04:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am I?

an Alcoholic?

Hi I am from the UK and am hopefully going to an AA meeting next week.

I am 33, female and work in a Senior position in University. I dont drink early in the morning unless I am carrying on from the night before but if I go out for one drink I cant just have the one. I drink to get very drunk and thats it. I drink every night because I want to and because I can afford to, and I drink to get in state where I dont care about anything. I am drunk as I write this post. I often cant remember going to bed and often send my friends nasty emails which I do not recall. I hide the extent of my drinking from friends and family. They also tell me I drink too much and should stop drinking but on the other side of the coin they are more than happy to invite me to the pub when it suits them and they want someone to go with, they can have 1 or 2 drinks, my problem is I cant, I want to carry on until I am drunk. I

Can anyone offer me any advice?
Old 07-11-2008, 04:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

You are EXACTLY like me regarding drinking. I have no control after the first few.

(I am an alcoholic.)
Old 07-11-2008, 04:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your Friends and Family invite you for drinks and complain because you drink too much because they don't understand Alcoholism.
It's very difficult for a Non Alcoholic to understand the inability to stop drinking once you've started. Therefore they see it as a Self-Control issue and are optimistic in thinking you will control it the next time they invite you.
I would be out of place in labeling you as an Alcoholic. I am however and you drink like I did.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome.

I think you answered your own question just by coming here.

Keep posting.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Hi Witchqueen,
Keep coming back.
Sounds like you are in the right place.
BTW, I drank like that too!!!
Old 07-11-2008, 08:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome ...

I suggest you get information on alcoholism
and please begin with this...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

Blackouts are explained on #17 ..
that is what you call those
blank holes in your memory.

Good to see a new member seeking answers..
Old 07-11-2008, 08:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
where the light is

Originally Posted by Witchqueen View Post
I dont drink early in the morning unless I am carrying on from the night before but if I go out for one drink I cant just have the one. I drink to get very drunk and thats it. I drink every night because I want to and because I can afford to, and I drink to get in state where I dont care about anything. I am drunk as I write this post. I often cant remember going to bed and often send my friends nasty emails which I do not recall. I hide the extent of my drinking from friends and family. They also tell me I drink too much and should stop drinking but on the other side of the coin they are more than happy to invite me to the pub when it suits them and they want someone to go with, they can have 1 or 2 drinks, my problem is I cant, I want to carry on until I am drunk.
I bolded where my drinking history matches yours. Not good signs. Can you stop drinking for a period of time without it bothering you (eg. mental obsession)?
Old 07-11-2008, 10:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR and to our alcoholism forum.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

I would say a resounding yes - you sound like a complete text book case alcoholic! Really! My drinking was the same, just not every day.

Get to a meeting asap - don't even worry about the drinking (i.e. got to stop drinking before I go to aa...you don't - you just have to have a desire to stop drinking) there are many, many amazing meetings in the UK where you live - lots of professional people, lots of arty people, lots of people who have lost everything, young, old, all different walks of life, one thing in common, our condition and desire to get well - that and the solution. we are truly blessed. Good luck!!

Cathy31
x
Old 07-14-2008, 07:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
contemplating

I question it too...

Im not sure what to call myself either. I dont think im an alcoholic...I dont drink everyday and am not dependent, but when i do drink i get out of hand....so what is that called? binge drinking? Im afraid to go to AA (i have many reservations about it) but im not sure i would fit in...since i dont drink all the time. I do however have negative consequences of drinking...enough to consider finding other things to do and manage my feelings....just havent figured out what yet.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
As Phil Sees It (NOT)

Hi Witchqueen, wecome to SR. I hope you can identify with our stories of the hell that drinking causes and i hope you desire the wonderful life that can be had without booze.
Best wishes
Old 07-14-2008, 09:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
As Phil Sees It (NOT)

Hi Dryjulliet, If your trying to make your mind up whether you are an alcoholic or not. Wondering whether AA is for you. Try answering the questions on AA website for newcomers. Go alcoholics anonymous website, click on starter pack and there are some questions:

Answer them honestly and make your decision. NO-ONE CAN TELL YOU YOU ARE AN ALCOHOLIC, YOU MAKE THAT DCECISION AND THEN DECIDE IF YOU WANT HELP.
I wish you the very best and please keep in touch if you decide you're with us
Old 07-15-2008, 04:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR Witchqueen, are you an alcoholic? Well that is a question that only you can answer and have the answer matter!

I am an alcoholic and when I drank many of your patterns of drinking matched mine, here is a little test that may give you something to think about and help you decide Alcoholics Anonymous :

Alcoholism is a progressive disease, when I was in my late teens I would have answered at least 4 of those questions YES, when I quit drinking I answered all but one of them with a yes.