Notices

Vitamins/Supplements/Nutrition

Old 07-11-2008, 04:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
No AA

Vitamins/Supplements/Nutrition

I am taking milk thistle every morning - I hear that it helps with damage to the liver, which I am sure that I have by now.
I believe that vitamins/supplements help but am not so sure what ones are the best for people who have drank for years.
I got started on this thinking from reading two books- the Sober for Good (?not sure about that title) by Susan Powter and My Way Out by Roberta Jewell. The one by Jewell really touts the use of kudzu, L glut and a protein powder (forget the name but actually bought it over the net) as things that would stop cravings/alcoholism. Bought and took, didn't affect me the way it did people in the book....really I didn't feel any different. But no matter, I'm not one of those people who believes in the pop a pill and fix the problem (wish it happened that way though haha)
But I do think the use of vitamins/supplements/nutrition has validity. So back to the original question.... just wondering what kinds of things have you tried or use daily with your recovery. What has worked and what hasn't?
Currently I take a multivitamin, milk thistle and am trying to do better eatingwise. I've pretty much completely quit drinking pop and drink water most of the time, along with morning coffee.
Any feedback much appreciated.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Before I would bother taking anything for my liver, I would go to the doctor first to have my liver checked.

I had my liver checked through a blood test and it checked ok. I'm not personally against vitamins, I just don't like taking them because they usually tear up my stomach. I prefer to get my vitamins through nutrition.

Tom
Old 07-11-2008, 04:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Milk thistle does have a good reputation but it will not repair a damaged liver.

My experience is similar to your but I also take a vitamin B supplement as alcoholics are terribly vitamin B deficient. In severe cases vitamin B deficiency can cause wet brain or Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome. Alcohol and the Brain: Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome

I still drink sodas and coffee but in moderation.

None of this has had anything to do with cravings IMO. I think healthy living in general and my recovery program will take care of that.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Well I have been taking a multivitamin and B-Complex as reccommended by the folks in detox since I got sober along with trying to eat right, physically I am in far better health then I was when I was drinking, did the vitamins help? Well I can not say for sure, but they did not hurt either, any vitamins your body does not need it simply passes on through unabsorbed.

I have no doubt that diet/nutrition help in the body healing from what we did to them, as far as cravings go....... well I know mine both mentally and physically were totally gone by the time I finished my 5th step. I am sure there are some foods/nutrients that help with physical cravings, but the long term solution is with the mental obsession.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I take milk thistle when I remember to. But I always take my mulivitamin everyday. I feel great but I was severly anemic too. I may feel great because of the vitamins, or the zoloft , or the 10 hours of sleep at night I get but I bet I feel great because.........I haven't drank.....=)
Old 07-11-2008, 05:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Please be sure to have a healthy well-balanced diet before concentrating on the extras.

Nothing beats a healthy well-balanced diet for getting all of the nutrients you need.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

a lot of good posts here
I tried to get a regular pattern of sleeping and to eat 3 meals a day when I was new.After 20 yrs of drinking and not taking care of myself,I needed it.My nerves and body was a mess.It will not get fixed over night either.It takes time.
Today,I take a aspirin,and a multivitamin daily.I have cut back on the coffee some,and drink tea and water more.Together it all helps.
I once did a google search on Home ans natural remedies.It turned up some good things.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmmm...
Self diagnosed medical issues?

...I want facts
then I'll know what needs healing.

A balanced diet is a good start.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
getting there

Hi Faith
I also take a daily mutivitamin and b-complex supplement (the stress formula kind), and also fish oil 2-3 times daily, which was recommended by a counselor for mood support. I think it's also good for your heart.

I haven't changed my diet too much but try to stay away from fast food and grease (which is a good idea anyway)... I'm letting myself drink soda because I really like it and that's what I order at a restaurant instead of a glass of wine. Helps me feel less "cheated".
Old 07-12-2008, 02:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

keep it simple. there is so much contradictory evidence/advice out there regarding supplements that it can make a person nuts.

just eat whole fresh foods, get daily exercise, enjoy the outdoors, sleep 8 hours or so each night and supplement with vitamin L (love, light and laughter).
Old 07-12-2008, 05:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

just eat whole fresh foods, get daily exercise, enjoy the outdoors, sleep 8 hours or so each night and supplement with vitamin L (love, light and laughter).

Miss C you might make a good Dr.Have you preformed any Soul Surgery lately?

LOL
Old 07-12-2008, 08:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I asked my doctor his opinion on what the best diet was out there. (I'm not over weight, just curious on his opinion). He answered, a balanced diet and plenty of excersise. Way to keep it simple.

Tom
Old 07-12-2008, 08:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Every time I see this thread it makes me think of the paper I wrote 20 years ago for my nursing class, "Vitamins, minerals, and memory." My father was very into nutrition and vitamins that is why I chose that topic for my paper. IMHO one of the factors that helped me in my recovery has been nutrition. Here is a list of what I believe helps me and why I take it.
Fish oil=mental health
B vitamins=memory and cell health
Lysine=cellular health
multivitamin=general well being
Garlic=cholesterol
Vit C=general well being
Calcium/magnesium=bone health
Please do not misunderstand, I am not by any means suggesting that what I take or what seems to be working for me is what everyone should take. My physician is fully aware of the over the counter medications/vitamins that I take. Many vitamins/minerals/herbals can interact with prescribed medications or have a direct affect on lab results. I strongly encourage anyone who is considering adding vitamins/minerals/herbals to their diet talk with their physician first.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I take multi vitamins and iron, plus fish oils. This time last year I was starting to get shooting pains in my left knee but now I run for over an hour and cycle the same as well. I also eat well with plenty of fruit and drink more water. Have the daily tablets helped? I don't really know. It might just be the changes I am making anyway, but the whole package seems to be working so I will stick with it.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bballdad View Post

Miss C you might make a good Dr.Have you preformed any Soul Surgery lately?

LOL
if you only knew what I do for a living, .......
Old 07-13-2008, 01:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Communnicat,

So are you gonna tell us what you do for a living, or just leave us hanging?
Old 07-13-2008, 02:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I prefer juicing over vitamins.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm..
"Anonymity is the spiritual foundation....."
Old 07-14-2008, 03:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
No AA

thank you to everyone who replied. lots of food for thought.
i do agree that a balanced diet is a good beginning place. i am trying to eat better. and to exercise. the exercise part is being a little hairy as my limbs need limbering
i do take vit/sup and i appreciate hearing what others take. i agree that whatever you don't need is going to get flushed out of your body. i know some vitamins are dangerous taken in large amounts so i try not to overdo any certain one.
i'm not asking for medical advice, just a glance into what others are taking and their experiences with it, so again i thank everyone who answered.