Notices

Vacation time and scared

Old 07-07-2008, 05:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Vacation time and scared

Leaving wednesday for a trip to Nassau Bahama's and scared i won't stay sober. Been planned and paid for, so backing out would be a bad thing to me and my family..How can i do that to them ? Not their fault i am a fool, guess i need alot of prayers and to make alot of expensive phone calls. A very bad trigger but like i said booked and paid for quite awhile back. CRAP..........Just had to share...

Take care,
John
Old 07-07-2008, 05:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

John...
Read page 43 in the BB.

When you arrive...ask the desk
where to find a meeting.

Take your BB with you for reading.

You have been at this drinking/quitting deal
for a long time.
You know the solution.

Don't drink no matter what.

Enjoy the family time....
Old 07-07-2008, 05:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hey John,

Your post reminds me so much of me. Whenever I get ready to go some where further away than my 'comfort zone' I get all jammed up about it.

Once I get there though, I'm always glad I went. The fear was for nothing.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You are so right Carol, it's just keeping the will the desire or whatever you call it to stay sober that f's me up all the time. I really don't know how to explain it i just get a case of the Fk it's, seems i just can't grasp the soberity life for very long anymore. Just the truth not looking for sympathy.......

Take care,
John
Old 07-07-2008, 06:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

John, you are not a fool and I think it's great that you and your family are going on a wonderful vacation.

Enjoy yourself, spend time with your family, relax and have fun!

Remember, we are all sending lots of prayers and positive thoughts your way!
Old 07-07-2008, 07:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi John,
I'm not qualified to give advice, but here's some things that helped me on vacations:
To go to meetings. Read the BB and other AA literature. Make some calls. Pray. Remember how bad it was when I drank. Remember that my family needs me to stay sober. Remember that the vacation isn't just for me...it's for the family. Try to have a good time and relax. Think of alcohol as poison. Have "escape routes" planned if I'm in situations that make me uncomfortable.
chip
Old 07-07-2008, 08:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
where the light is

My experience has been the same as Tommy’s. I would worry myself so much about the “what-ifs?” I would be stressed for days before a trip. And everything would be fine! Just be very proactive about your sobriety. Big Book, prayer, meetings, SR, keeping contact with other AA members, etc. Personally, I like to journal. Anything and everything to stay focused. Keep busy. Plan some fun, sober activities with your family especially at times when you think you may be tempted. When I am out of town, I do get those moments when I feel a bit unsettled but that’s all they are –moments. Just don’t have that first drink and you will get back home with some great memories.

Personally, I think that you can stay sober no matter where you are (nobody is pouring a drink down your throat). And you have already proven to yourself that you can do it at home. Really, what makes Nassau so different?

Have a great time!
Old 07-07-2008, 08:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes , I know you guy's are right , but everytime i put myself in that position where drinking is per-say Part of the game i just lose it. Shiiiiiit i don't know what is wrong with me, my wife even drinks down there , maybe this hurricane will cancel our trip and i can stay sober, Kinda f,d up huh? Crap i feel like i am planning to drink in a way, God i am so confused.................................
Old 07-07-2008, 09:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

C'mon John. Believe in yourself and your family. You need this. Time to enjoy being human with your family. You deserve it and they deserve you.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You can do this, enjoy your time there... Perhaps buying a few calling cards before your trip will allow for an inexpensive way to stay connected to your AA network at home ?

All the best !
Old 07-08-2008, 02:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

John google AA Bahama and plan out some meetings, vacation meetings are way cool!!! I have met people from all over on vacation at meetings. Plan out your days with your family!

Plan the days out!!!! When you check into the hotel ask for the schedule of activities, sit down with the whole family and plan out each day! Going to meetings, doing LOTS of things with you family, getting the local AA hotline number and calling folks there when needed will save you a ton of money in phone bills and who knows, you might just get hooked up with a local AA member and your family will get to enjoy parts of the Bahamas that most tourist don't.

Pray!!!!!

Plan!