Notices

Im back (as many of you thought I would be)

Old 07-06-2008, 06:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Im back (as many of you thought I would be)

Hopefully now I have hit my bottom.

I was arrested on the 4th for DUI. This is my second one. On the 5th I went to my first AA meeting and today I went to my second. I don't know what I think of AA or if it will work for me, but one thing is pretty damn clear (even though my head is not) I have got to get my life in order and alcohol won't help.

I graduated college and landed a job that was going to pay me more than I ever imagined for being out of school. I didn't like the job because I thought it was boring. However, that didn't matter because I was fired due to calling out so much with excuses. I was sick, in a car accident, my brother was in the hospital with heart problems, I needed to take my mom to the airport, etc. All lies. I was so hungover from friday and saturday that I couldn't even make it to work on monday. Normal drinkers do not have 48 hour hangovers.

I have known for quite some time that I am an alcoholic. And if I am not a "true" alcoholic (whatever that might be) I definitely have more in common with lots of alcoholics than normal social drinkers.

Can I go out and have 2 or 3 drinks and call it quits? You bet I can. If I am trying to prove to myself I can do that than I will.
Do I want to? Hell NO. I want to get ********* and outta control. So yes, I can control my drinking, I just would rather not.

I could go on and on for hours rambling but, I think I will just stop here.

Oh, and you all can expect me to be posting quite a bit, as I will have many many questions, mostly about AA.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Glad you're back. And keep coming back.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 07-06-2008, 06:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm glad you survived your drinking ...so many don't.

There are other recovery programs ...we have a sticky
post here listing them.

However ...I have no experience to share except for AA.
We also have a Forum next door about AA
in case you need questions answered.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-step-support/

Take good care of yourself...
recovery is a wonderful adventure.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're back!
Old 07-06-2008, 06:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tryingtolive View Post
Hopefully now I have hit my bottom.

I was arrested on the 4th for DUI. This is my second one. On the 5th I went to my first AA meeting and today I went to my second. I don't know what I think of AA or if it will work for me, but one thing is pretty damn clear (even though my head is not) I have got to get my life in order and alcohol won't help.

I graduated college and landed a job that was going to pay me more than I ever imagined for being out of school. I didn't like the job because I thought it was boring. However, that didn't matter because I was fired due to calling out so much with excuses. I was sick, in a car accident, my brother was in the hospital with heart problems, I needed to take my mom to the airport, etc. All lies. I was so hungover from friday and saturday that I couldn't even make it to work on monday. Normal drinkers do not have 48 hour hangovers.

I have known for quite some time that I am an alcoholic. And if I am not a "true" alcoholic (whatever that might be) I definitely have more in common with lots of alcoholics than normal social drinkers.

Can I go out and have 2 or 3 drinks and call it quits? You bet I can. If I am trying to prove to myself I can do that than I will.
Do I want to? Hell NO. I want to get ********* and outta control. So yes, I can control my drinking, I just would rather not.

I could go on and on for hours rambling but, I think I will just stop here.

Oh, and you all can expect me to be posting quite a bit, as I will have many many questions, mostly about AA.
WELCOME BACK!!!

Glad you're here to tell me it isn't any different, one of the reasons I go to meetings, need to be reminded that I'm an alcoholic.

Not sure what true alcoholism is, but something I've heard many times at meetings, and it fits me perfectly, I didn't get into trouble every time I drank, but every time I got into trouble I had been drinking.

One of the nice things about AA, what they call the ESH, Experience, Strength, and Hope, you'll hear a lot of little truisms at meetings that will help you to maintain your sobriety. The experience. Good Luck!
Old 07-06-2008, 06:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Keep coming back...!

And the best way to learn about AA is to go to AA meetings.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome back. Imagine those DUIs are getting painful!
Old 07-06-2008, 07:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!!

I had given AA a half ass try before giving up. This time I think I need to go, stay after a bit, get numbers and try to meet people that I can do things with sober.

I have friends who I could go out with but they all go to bars. It would be fine if I went out with them and didn't drink but im not ready for that. Plus being at a bar and not drinking would be boring IMO.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tryingtolive View Post
Thanks everyone!!

I have friends who I could go out with but they all go to bars. It would be fine if I went out with them and didn't drink but im not ready for that. Plus being at a bar and not drinking would be boring IMO.
LOL - I've had this conversation with my g/f numerous times. So I recently asked her not to drink too while out...that lasted 31 minutes Seriously though, welcome back. Happy to have you.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post

There are other recovery programs ...we have a sticky
post here listing them.

However ...I have no experience to share except for AA.
We also have a Forum next door about AA
in case you need questions answered.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-step-support/

Take good care of yourself...
recovery is a wonderful adventure.

As for the other programs, I don't think they have meetings were I live. Moderations Managment has one in S. Maryland but that is a bit far to drive all the time.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Glad you made it back. Welcome
Old 07-06-2008, 11:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post

Welcome back!8 As Carol said it's the most wonderful journey, we are very lucky...if you stick with it, and do what's suggested you'll see what I mean...I used to think 'grateful alcoholic' was such £&$*£ It's not - it's so so true!
Well done! I'ts not easy, but it's worth it! You just gotta believe you are too!!
Cathy31
x
Old 07-07-2008, 04:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Hannitized

Welcome back. I have the horrible habit of looking for silver linings and I pray you find one here. I hope this DUI becomes a blessing in that it is the pivotal point in your life. You can change. You are changing.

All the best to you!

Liberty~
Old 07-07-2008, 07:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Trying,

Welcome back! Hey just keep going to meetings, the more you go the more you'll get out of it. Get a sponsor and start working your steps. If you don't get it all right away, "fake it til you make it.", I have found to be sound advice.

You can do it, good luck,

John
Old 07-07-2008, 08:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well the good thing about hitting rock bottom is that there is only one way.....up.

Start climbing up to freedom, it's the freedom that you always had. Willingness, honesty, thoroughness, and work.

Combat cravings with rigorous action into the program.

Tom
Old 07-07-2008, 09:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Tryingtolive, be willing to go to any lengths to stay sober, be honest, and follow suggestions, get a sponsor, start with a temporary one until you get to know more folks.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Serenity today

Originally Posted by tommyk View Post
And the best way to learn about AA is to go to AA meetings.
Amen
Old 07-07-2008, 10:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Welcome back!!
Go to a ton of meetings so that people get used to seeing your face and you find the meetings where you are most comfortable.
And work those steps! THAT is where the change begins.