Notices

Role Call for 4th Parties

Old 07-03-2008, 07:47 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Heading to the beach with the kids and my exH. Love the beach..should be a great day!
Old 07-03-2008, 07:54 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

The 4th used to be a huge drunkfest for me. This year, I will stay sober.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:25 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Update.....

My friend and I will be opening our AA hall
for a noon meeting instead of going to the picnic.

Once again...His plan not mine is the real deal.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:01 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Hannitized

Update- My husband just went to buy beer. It will be the first time in many days alcohol will be in my house...within my reach.

I did not try to stop him. It is hard enough controlling my own actions... I will not attempt to control his. He does not have the problem with alcohol that I do. Here it is, the 4th, and he wants a few beers. I can't blame him....but I do envy him.

I wish I could be him for the day...to experience what it's like to have three or four beers over the course of an afternoon/evening and not have that godawful need to have more and more and more and more~

My plan- focus on the kids..and our guests~ I'll remember how hard I've worked for this...day 70. I will remember that I will not only let myself down, but I will let my SR friends down as well if I crack open that first beer.

Lord, there is a real challenge before me today. With Your help I can do this. I can stay sober today. I can stay sober today. I can stay sober today.

Liberty~
Old 07-04-2008, 12:03 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hang tough Liberty! Today will be a challenge but a good sign of how strong you've become over the last 70 days. That's a great accomplishment. Just ignore that little voice in your head that will make every reason in the world that it's okay to have one...it's not.

My morning started off with my g/f asking me to taste her margarita batch for the party (I didn't). Then when I was at the store buying Diet Coke she asked me to pick up beers. Before I got home she asked me to stop in and pick up a bottle of tequila. Not sure she really gets the idea that I have a problem. Either way I'm 1/2 way into Day 6 and know I'll make it out the other end of today fine. Really enjoying this group guys. Thanks for all of the support. When folks like Liberty can hang it in there in the face of similar challenges, so can I
Old 07-04-2008, 12:43 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Old 07-04-2008, 12:55 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Austin: I am glad you are sober and can clearly see how your g/f is placing bottles in front of you.

We can love people but still stay very, very aware that they might not be, or want to be, conscious of the problem--their own or ours.

Be safe today and present, and have a Happy 4th. (I am working on my day 6 today.)
Old 07-04-2008, 01:00 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Theresa View Post
Austin: I am glad you are sober and can clearly see how your g/f is placing bottles in front of you.

We can love people but still stay very, very aware that they might not be, or want to be, conscious of the problem--their own or ours.

Be safe today and present, and have a Happy 4th. (I am working on my day 6 today.)
Thanks Theresa! I'm on day 6 too. As a binger I don't worry about parties like this much. I'll go a week or two without - it's the times I'm not completely present (like 6 days ago) when I slip up. Today won't be one of those days b/c I'm conscious I'm an alcoholic even if she isn't. Congrats on your day 6! Way to go!
Old 07-04-2008, 03:19 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Hannitized

Originally Posted by austingemini View Post
Hang tough Liberty! Today will be a challenge but a good sign of how strong you've become over the last 70 days. That's a great accomplishment. Just ignore that little voice in your head that will make every reason in the world that it's okay to have one...it's not.

Thanks, austingemini!!! My folks just left. We had a great day of swimming, chowing down, visiting....Now my husband and the kids are setting up the tent. I already have the fire ready to go for schmellows later. Did ya'll know they make STRAWBERRY SMELLOWS now??? Unreal!

Anyway. I will stay sober today. I will stay sober today. I will stay sober today.

All the best to a.g. and all of my SR friends. I am grateful for the chance to pop inside for a spell and check on you! I need my SR friends. You help me so much! Be careful out there~
Old 07-04-2008, 07:53 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thanks Liberty. I'm heading into hour 7 of this party and ZERO booze! More importantly I'm really enjoying myself. Others here are toasted, but I actually get to remember what I'm saying - love that feeling :P

Day: 6 and 22 hours.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:15 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
where the light is

Hi austingemini,

You sound like youre doing great! It's gonna be awesome to wake up hangover free.

I just got home, booze around me for a few hours earlier in the evening (couple of parties I was obligated to attend). Not 4th of July parties, just..well..it's summer and it's Friday!

"You wanna beer?" No thanks.
10 minutes later. "You wanna beer?" No thanks.
10 minutes later. "You wanna beer?" No thanks.
"Well, when to want a beer, my cooler is over there." Umm...right...gotcha!

Kept a Gatorade in my hand, had ton's of laughs and actually went to an AA meeting afterwards. A good day!

Best wishes and happy 4th!
Old 07-05-2008, 04:46 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Hannitized

What a beautiful morning on this...day 71~ Thank goodness we pitched our tent close to home! We dragged in during the night when it started to rain. Reminded me of all those rainy mornings after camping away from home...hungover...tired...the task of packing up just dreadful.

What a great reward for staying sober, this clarity and energy and hope!

The day stretches out before me...my head is clear and I will stay sober today. I will stay sober today. I will stay sober today~

I pray you all survived and thrived and have this wonderful morning to enjoy as well!

Liberty~
Old 07-05-2008, 05:59 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Gravity and Liberty -

Proud of both of you! Great work. What day are both of you on again? How's it feel this AM getting up crystal clear? I'm taking my dogs to the park

The party was at my house this year (planned before I had decided it was time to begin a sober life) so it was fun getting to be the pusher and no one had any clue I wasn't drinking. What they thought was my usual rum and coke was in fact just diet coke. So aside from having to pee way too much, I feel super this AM!

Great work to both of you. Who else gets to check in sober this AM?!
Old 07-05-2008, 06:27 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Hannitized

Originally Posted by austingemini View Post
Gravity and Liberty -

Proud of both of you! Great work. What day are both of you on again? How's it feel this AM getting up crystal clear? I'm taking my dogs to the park

Day 71 as opposed to day 1~ It feels right. Enjoy your day!
Old 07-05-2008, 06:46 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
where the light is

Great stuff everyone!

I'm on day 202 today. Had a great night's sleep and I'm taking my wife and kids fishing this AM (sunny, a bit too windy - will be careful). I have to attend a huge outdoor barbeque tonight (same gang as yesterday, many are heavy drinkers). I'm really grateful for the sleep as my defenses are a bit down when I am tired. Will put my plan into action. Prayer, Gatorade, hand around the non-drinkers/light-drinkers, leave early etc. Going to tell them I don't drink anymore - end the constant offers of beer (a few may not believe me though).

Everyone enjoy your day!
Old 07-05-2008, 07:29 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Congratulations to all of us who continue to win over alcohol!

Old 07-05-2008, 08:03 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

346 days sober!!!!!! took my friend to dinner to celebrate her 8 YEARS of sobriety....they throw a big party for her every year...the whole city comes!!!!

Old 07-05-2008, 08:12 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Ananda - what are you doing for your 1 year? That's great!
Old 07-05-2008, 08:14 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

celebrating with my brother. We got sober the same day in seperate places!!!!! Isn't that wild!

:day4
Old 07-05-2008, 12:07 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

The fourth is a major trigger day for me.
(anniversary of a dear friend's death kind of thing)

So I planned the entire day around that.
Stayed to myself -
read a book.
Watched the local parade on tv ...
texted a friend during the parade...

I was invited to several things,
-parties-campouts-bbq's - and so on...
but I still get way too tired,
and haven't gottten the hang of 'pacing' what energy these thyroxin pills allow me for the day. Everyone understood, and promised to bring me a 'plate' when they got back.

So -
I played it pitiful...
and cashed in !

:rof

Now I've got a fridge full of food -
that I didn't have to get around tons of drinking to get ...
no travel time, no mosquitos, no screaming kids...
and can sit here and read the 'net ...
they got to party like they wanted to ...
and I didn't have to watch.

LOL!!!

Worked out pretty good, I thought.