Notices

help me please

Old 07-09-2003, 11:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
katek

Unhappy help me please

Hi.
I am 26. I am an alcoholic. I hate it. I can;t stand it anymore. I am trying to detox and the pain and loneliness is so severe that I cannot take another minute of it.
Please help me.
I cannot afford another recovery or detox, so I have to do this myself this time.
Please, oh please, God help me.
How do you successfully, without too much pain, self detox.

THanks to all who read this.
please respond
Kate

Last edited by katek; 07-09-2003 at 12:08 PM.

Old 07-09-2003, 12:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Kate,
Welcome to SR. You are not alone. You remind me of myself. Getting sober was the hardest things I have ever done in my life but it is worth it. In the beginning it is so difficult but you can do it. I did what you are doing, I asked God for help, started posting here at SR and then made it back to AA. Take it a second at a time if you have to.
Where I live if you don't make much money you can get medical assistance from the county. Detoxing on your own may not be good.
There are good people here that will help you like they helped me.
Hang in and you are in my prayers. You may not believe this now but it does get better.
H
Old 07-09-2003, 01:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello Kate and welcome to the forum.

I too have experienced the misery of detox but like Hadenuff says self detox can sometimes be dangerous.

If as you say you are unable to afford professional detox then I suggest that you at least have someone stay with you at all times.

Alcoholics Anonymous provided a tremendous amount of support and encouragement for me during my early days of getting sober and with their help I have been sober now for several years.

This is not something you want to go through alone.I suggest that you try calling the AA hotline in your area as soon as possible and get in touch with other people who understand completely what you are going through.

You dont have to worry about not having any money.AA is free and noone will expect anything from you in return.

In the meantime hang on in there and keep reading and posting here.

Drink a lot of juices and water and get plenty rest.Get a hold of some recovery literature and do some more reading.The AA Big Book is a good book to read and it is available on line.

First days in recovery may be difficult at first but it does get easier.
Old 07-09-2003, 05:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

Dear Kate,

I feel your pain, may sound corny but true. The good news is that you're working on this problem now while you're still young. It's much harder to live this life style until you're 40-50, and then try to change this destructive behaviour.
I've drank alot over my life, and never had to go through any detox to stop. I have had months of sobriety without any physical problems after stopping drinking cold turkey. I've also been involved in recovery programs that advocated a supervised drug detox for alcoholics. Personally, I think the majority of alcoholics don't need this three to four day spaced out period on anti-anxiety meds. The reason they do this is because the few that do go through life threatening detox is enough for them to apply this to everyone. I'm a small woman, who could drink as much as any serious alcoholic, but I've never experienced any DT's.
The hard part about getting sober is changing our ways of self medicating. It sounds to me like you could benefit from antidepressants. I've been taking them for a while, sometimes they help, and sometimes I have to work through depression despite them. I have a Doctor who is involved with the last recovery program I went through. He specializes in chemical dependency, and he is very helpful in finding the right medication for me, but there is no immediate remedy. At least after all of these years I'm finally trying to help myself. Talking about your fears and depressive thoughts is the first step to recovery. I wish you well and please e-mail me anytime if you just want to unload. You'll be ok, there's so much in life worth living for, please don't give up.
Old 07-10-2003, 07:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

Kate, do you have a doctor you can trust? Like Marilyn suggested, do you have a psychiatrist you can trust? None of these will help right now, today, so please consider Peter's advice...

If not, please listen to Peter's advice and contact AA. They will help you through detox! And, they will help you after detox.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

katek

Peter has given some great advise, a call to A.A. would certainly help.

here is the number for the Los Angeles 24 hr, hotline

(323) 936-4343
Old 07-11-2003, 03:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Kate, Welcome to the SR boards. You've come to the right place for help. Most of us either have or are going through the same feelings you are. We are all pulling for you. I know it is hard to believe now but, the further you move away from that last drink you will start to feel better.
I program like AA or other helped me when I detoxed in the past on my own. The biggest thing that helps is the support from others who can identify with your problem. You have already taken that hardest step in admitting you have a problem.
That takes alot of courage and you should be proud of yourself. Just keep posting, hang in there, and try not to drink no matter what. If you do drink don't give up we have all been there. Keep trying.
Don W