Notices

Hello

Old 06-30-2008, 04:49 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

No need to feel guilty, if caffeine is a trigger for you then it is understandable.
I guess I am just concerned that you think diet is the main thing, you know? A better diet can help but there is more than than that to binge drinking?
Me, I start to feel a bit mental after a few weeks, that's when I drink.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:02 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Actually, nutrition plays a very big part in this whether you go to AA or not. How unfair it is for you that demean it. I was shocked to find out that hypoglycemia and hypothyroidism list "depression" and "abuse of sugar" as primary components.

It is very important to get psychological help but that doesn't mean AA (per se). These issues are more complex than most of are willing to research/ admit to. For me, sitting in AA meetings did not resolve the depression/ cravings/ etc. I felt better when I went home and cooked a healthy meal, drank a cup of chamomile, read a good book, etc.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:11 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I wasn't saying AA was 'all that' but I don't think chamomile tea is either.
Are you looking for a 'fix'? Are you just gonna eat youself out of it?
Old 06-30-2008, 05:40 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Interesting observations, probably very valid and applicable to your situation - personally, I have never thought much about the coffee and snacks. I would usually have a 1/2 caf/decaf at the meeting because I love coffee - but I go to night meetings and don't want to be up all night from the caffeine...I am not powerless over coffee though. I felt it was making me irritable (I would drink a large coffee on the way into work each morning), so I stopped drinking it a few weeks ago..probably not for good, but just haven't wanted any. That's a choice I have the power to make....

Anyhoo - AA has a singleness of purpose. Alcoholism.

In my area, at my meetings - there are many vegans, raw vegans, macrobiotics. Yet there is still coffee and snacks for those who want them. You truly get all types at meetings...I would be willing to bet there are others at that meeting who don't drink coffee and don't eat sweets -

The fellowship you crave will rise up around you. Maybe you can start a small meeting that doesn't have caffeine or sugar - it's really up to you.

My suggestion - if you are going to get sober for good and all, and are going to AA - take the steps, get recovered, that's what it's all about anyhow. You had alcoholic problems before you ever drank - me too. Separate, alone, fearful, different...

All this can be whole.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:29 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugErspun View Post
Interesting observations, probably very valid and applicable to your situation - personally, I have never thought much about the coffee and snacks. I would usually have a 1/2 caf/decaf at the meeting because I love coffee - but I go to night meetings and don't want to be up all night from the caffeine...I am not powerless over coffee though. I felt it was making me irritable (I would drink a large coffee on the way into work each morning), so I stopped drinking it a few weeks ago..probably not for good, but just haven't wanted any. That's a choice I have the power to make....

Anyhoo - AA has a singleness of purpose. Alcoholism.

In my area, at my meetings - there are many vegans, raw vegans, macrobiotics. Yet there is still coffee and snacks for those who want them. You truly get all types at meetings...I would be willing to bet there are others at that meeting who don't drink coffee and don't eat sweets -

The fellowship you crave will rise up around you. Maybe you can start a small meeting that doesn't have caffeine or sugar - it's really up to you.

My suggestion - if you are going to get sober for good and all, and are going to AA - take the steps, get recovered, that's what it's all about anyhow. You had alcoholic problems before you ever drank - me too. Separate, alone, fearful, different...

All this can be whole.

thank you very much sugErspun
Old 06-30-2008, 06:31 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stone View Post
No need to feel guilty, if caffeine is a trigger for you then it is understandable.
I guess I am just concerned that you think diet is the main thing, you know? A better diet can help but there is more than than that to binge drinking?
Me, I start to feel a bit mental after a few weeks, that's when I drink.

thanks stone
Old 06-30-2008, 08:44 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

If the dietary problems are the worst you face, you're gonna have an awesome recovery!!
Old 06-30-2008, 08:49 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

thanks Sheemie

i love that avatar you have - thats from the first king krimson album i think

i love that song "i talk to the wind"
Old 07-01-2008, 11:29 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Ouch stone! I think you are being a little harsh! :"Are you looking for a 'fix'? Are you just gonna eat youself out of it?"

So natural had a frustrating experience w/ AA, a lot of us have. I am only saying that nutrition (no, not just chamomile tea) is a very important component of addiction. We're here to share information with and support one another. I know that AA would have helped me a lot more if it included dietary advice, but it didn't, so I looked elsewhere. It is not about eating myself out of it. It is about getting my brain chemistry working properly so I don't end up "mental" and caving in to the desire to drink.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:34 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Yea I was a bit over the top there Soosie. Diet is important. I did go on to say...."I guess I am just concerned that you think diet is the main thing, you know?".
That was my point.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:55 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Gotcha stone~
I really feel that diet and nutrition play a huge role in this. I have been mildly annoyed that no one at AA takes notice (and offers support) to people who bring in Big Gulps and pockets full of candy, but that is not the main point. I want to be able to talk with others about brain chemistry. After a year of AA meetings and sobriety I still felt like &*^%$#@ and it was only when I started changing my diet and taking supplements that I started feeling better again.

Sorry though. I didn't want to change this forum into a battle of wills/opinions!
Peace....
Old 07-01-2008, 12:15 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

No worries, you were right.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:32 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Well, my first thought was total agreement.
I would be turned off by the whole caffeine/sugar high etc. But lets be real here. You are unlikely to find a group of humans, gathering in a situation that doesnt use something as a social buffer. Even if it's not booze or drugs it's SOMETHING! Examples: We prepare meals, have kids around to play which and cause distraction, watch a football game, a book to discuss.....something. We are a do do do do something kind of world. It's rare that we have social gatherings that are about confronting demons in a very real way. Compassion for eachothers journey is important, in all of life. We all do the best we can. Dont drink coffee or eat cake if it makes you feel like a phony. Simple as that.

As far as nutrition is concerned....I dont buy it that it can be a cure all. It cant hurt your overall wellbeing to give it a shot, but in my experience, it does not extinguish the urge to drink. I have been a "drinker" since I was 16. I was raised vegan and had an extremely healthy youth. That has never changed. I eat no refined sugars, very little processed foods, completely organic (although I am no longer vegan). I take a ridiculous amount of vitamins and herbs and get my blood checked for imbalances once a year. I've done accupuncture and I meditate and do yoga several times a week. Guess what. I still want to drink. It does nothing for my urges. Helps my hangovers go away fast though. That's about the only thig it does. I'm not saying it wont help, go for it, but dont put all your hope in it. From my experince, my drinking comes from emotional problems and bad genetics, not from a morning coffee.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:34 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thanks again to everyone for all the input.

Nutrition aside, one thing I've noticed that correlates with my binges is the level of stress I'm feeling. It's odd but, on the 3 days I exercise, 40 minute walks, after i feel strong cravings. I think all my binges have generally fallen on exercise days. Maybe its the stress hormones and possibly hypoglycemia generated by the exercise?

I'm thinking a lot lately that maybe the best approach for me is to try and lower my stress levels and take it from there. I've been reading about pyloria (sp?) which involves a deficiency of b6 and zinc. The description of this condition including high levels of internal stress to the point of muscles held in contraction describes me to a tee. Though I don't have a problem with my nails. I think I'm gonna maybe fool around with small levels of supplementations and take measures to lower stress and see how it goes.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:10 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Texasblind wrote:
It's funny, I live in the heart of the southwest and have never seen a Native American in a meeting.
Well, then, you're codially invited to a meeting any time day or night in Butte, MT.

We're all kinds of tribal.
But the first and most important tribe we ALL belong to is the Alcoholics Tribe.
There's also numerous comunity 'intertribal' sweats and other c'monies that happen outside the Fellowship and often members are invited to attend these as well.

Now as far as this whole diet thing goes -
were it not for the total collapse of my thyroid gland,
I'd still not know a thing in the world about it.
This is the first time in my life that my body has refused to do what my mind is directing it to do.

I literally drank myself to death
and not until the thyroid went -
did I become teachable as far as food
(i.e.-the 'enemy' )
is concerned.
I'd still rather eat a pill like
George Jetson and be done with it.

So whether or not it's importance is officially rated somewhere ...
when I first committed to a life of sobriety -
I worried about it in a meeting.

I had destroyed my life
and I had nowhere else to go.
Kind of hard to clutch the pride card
when you've been dealt that particular hand.

I think a good many things have been said here,
and I've actualy gotten a chuckle out of some of it.
One thing I've learned in this sobriety thing I'll pass on to ya, hon.

We almost all come into the awareness of the Fellowship ...
wanting it to be on our own terms in some way.
Unless you're like me and took it all the way to being dead to get there.

The meetings are too long. Too short. Too smoky. Not smoking.The format is uncomfortable. The location is inconvenient. The mesengers don't meet criteria....

When the blade meets the bone,
a decision must be made.

I'd give it more than a few meetings to make up my mind about what these people don't know much about ... and focus in on what it is they DO know.
I think, that's the most important message for you in this particular time and place.

I think the only one to walk away in need of knowledge
in that case
Would be you.
There's nutritionists, lawyers, doctors, nurses
(can't swing a dead cat in butte without hitting a nurse)
priests rabbis public officials
and now we even got movie stars and rock legends.

Surely someone in all that throng of alcoholic humanity
knows something we can learn from?