Notices

Need some support today

Old 06-28-2008, 06:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need some support today

I have a friend who is a heavy drinker and her brother just passed away unexpectedly. She lost both parents a few months ago. She wants me to come over and drink with her but I have to not pick up 'no matter what'. There will also be a funeral and very boozy wake next week. The monster in my head tells me it's ok to drink under these circumstances after all, I'm drinking for my friend not for myself.

So I am posting here as my commitment that I will be with my friend in her grief but I won't drink today.

I will post again when I come home and I will still be clean and sober at day 7.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Good resolve! Stay with your decisions.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Stopping the Train...

Location: Sevierville, TN - in the valley of the Great Smoky Mountains
That's the way to stick to your resolve!! Good for you!! I can't wait to hear how well you've done - because I know you can do it!!
Old 06-28-2008, 06:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you. I haven't gone yet. I'm waiting for her to call me back and tell me where to meet her. I think she may still be at the hospital. We normally drink a great deal together. She has no idea I'm not drinking any more.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You will be better able to assist your friend
sober and clear headed.
It's good to see you know that.

Prayers for your friend and for you
as you help her deal with this sad situation.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Stopping the Train...

Location: Sevierville, TN - in the valley of the Great Smoky Mountains
I hope she reacts to the news positively. I understand she's hurting and needs a friend...but there's no reason why that friend can't comfort her while sober...:-) Maybe you will inspire her...
Old 06-28-2008, 07:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TigerLili View Post
I have a friend who is a heavy drinker and her brother just passed away unexpectedly. She lost both parents a few months ago. She wants me to come over and drink with her but I have to not pick up 'no matter what'. There will also be a funeral and very boozy wake next week. The monster in my head tells me it's ok to drink under these circumstances after all, I'm drinking for my friend not for myself.

So I am posting here as my commitment that I will be with my friend in her grief but I won't drink today.

I will post again when I come home and I will still be clean and sober at day 7.
Don't forget, if you're feeling really shaky you can always leave.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

you're an Aussie - you can do it

just remember what you're there for - sadness and grief (especially someone else's) are hard things to deal with - so are friends drinking...but it can be done sober

just set things out from the get go...
D
Old 06-28-2008, 08:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thinking of you, and looking forward to your blog when you get home.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Project the person you want to be when you're in situations where someone really wants you to drink with them. Sounds like you can find the balance between being a good friend but not forgetting to have love for yourself at the same time.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

*prayers*
Old 06-28-2008, 08:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

You are so right when you said that it's the monster in you trying to convince you it's ok. . . after all, you're drinking for your friend. But in reality, your friend isn't the one who will suffer from the consquences if you drink, she won't be the one feeling the guilt for picking up, she isn't the one who will have to start over in her clean time, wake up with not only a hangover, but wake up that inner demon that you are fighting so hard to silence.

Congratultions on seeing that you don't need to drink to be supportive of her in her grief. Hopefully she will understand when you tell her that you are no longer drinking, but you will be there for her throughout this time. . . as long as she accepts your decision. The bottom line is, Recovery is a selfish disease, you have to think of yourself first. If not, your friend could sooner or later be grieving the loss of her dear friend. . . you. This disease wants nothing more than to slowly kill us, drain us of all life before taking ours.

Take your Higher Power with you, mine is always with me.

God Bless,
Judy

Old 06-29-2008, 04:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

As it turns out, my friend went to her sister's house so I didn't see her today. However I did end up at another friend's surprise party which was meant to be an English high tea (no alcohol) but people did bring booze so I left as soon as I could and went to a meeting.

At the meeting, someone said that it was ok if I picked up, that it happens to everyone blah blah. I didn't find that all that helpful.

I'm going to a new meeting tomorrow - it's for beginners.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi TL, you are doing so well at making healthy decisions! I'm very impressed with your comittment. Geee....perhaps the person at the meeting was just trying to express that it's ok if you do pick up, don't let it stop you from getting right back to meetings. Not "everybody" relapses after coming to the program. I can certainly see how that could hit someone wrong and will think about how I phraze that sort of thing to people. you made me think! thanks for sharing that.

I really hope your day goes well today, posting can help us get through any rough patches..
Old 06-29-2008, 05:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks Ananda!

You know, my memory is crap now. Is this common when people stop drinking? I have always had a bad memory but now I can't remember things like if I already took a shower, fed my cat, fed myself, took my meds etc or like today when I opened my bag and found a new book. It took me a while to remember that I brought it earlier today. I was so surprised. I couldn't imagine where it had come from!
Old 06-29-2008, 05:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think that is fairly common...for me i was in a treatment center the first month and that whole month was pretty foggy. But some memory problems continued for many months after that gradually improving...however, under stress I still tend to get real memory problems..i think that is short term memory.

Eating right seems to help our over all mental and physical health to improve faster 8
Old 06-29-2008, 05:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yes, I need to do something about that. I get overwhelmed at the thought of negotiating the supermarket, preparing meals etc. I have been living on toast, eggs and vitamins. And a lot of green tea. I really need to eat some vegetables!
Old 06-29-2008, 06:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

TL,

I've been meaning to check in with you to see how you are doing. I see you're doing just fine Your positive attitude and approach has inspired me and started my morning off with a smile. So, thanks for that..b
Old 06-29-2008, 06:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

you know I just love veggies and fruit (ok well only melons and strawberries and peaches if they are really good)...but they are really pricy...if they really wanted people to eat well in the US they would invest some of those public service funds in getting those prices lower...and they would use some education funds to lower the price of books...for me it is cheaper and takes longer to get through a movie vidio than a book!

oppps sorry got off on my tangent
Old 06-29-2008, 07:29 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by TigerLili View Post

Sorry for all your pain and that of your friend. And what a friend you are! Take good care of yourself through all this. Your strong! Your committed! You got that monster gagged, in chains, and locked down for the count. we'll be thinking on you throughout the whole week. Courage!