Notices

Should I try to quit drinking?

Old 06-28-2008, 06:09 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Dude if you are drinking 12-20 beers a day you are a daily binge drinker, you have a problem and the outlook is not rosy. I started out occassionally binge drinking on weekends, progressed to drinking every day, then progressed to binge drinking every day.

You would not be here if you didn't think you had a problem. On some level you know you do. You may not be an alcoholic, but you definitely have a drinking problem if you drink that much on a regular basis - daily or otherwise.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:06 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

To clarify perhaps why I drink and how it managed to never become a problem in my life in general:

I have never had any (real) friends (just bar friends and the such) or companions in my whole life and I basically live and work on the internet. I might have Aspergers syndrome, but then again without any lab tests to verify it I have my doubts on all of the diagnosis's I've ever had.

So for me there really isn't much to lose by drinking except for physical health and drinking keeps me amused and helps me cope with being a hermit.

As for my being here, I was at the grocery store buying my beer earlier when it struck me that I've spent about $40,000 on beer, and that got me thinking of how much beer I have ingested over the years and that had me googling around and getting the idea that I should basically be dead but then I remembered all of my father and brothers friends and the people who drink at the bars in my town -- A few of which drink heavily at my fathers age (50), having drank heavily since my age -- so I guess I just wanted to feel better about my best friend.

We're all going to die I guess, and we're going to probably rot of something like cancer before we do whether we drink or not. It's a game of dice, there is probably no way to know if you're going to be the guy who drinks a lot and then just collapses of a heart attack at age 50 or the health nut who gets mangled to death in a car wreck or dies of cancer at the age of 30 anyway.

I dunno, I might try to quit for awhile anyway and just see what happens. I figure it would be a good idea to quit for awhile at least to try and evade future withdrawal problems, like the aforementioned delirium tremens.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:35 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here is a link with info and some of our experiences
with de toxing.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Note that no one had the exact same symptoms
It's impossible to predict how you will react
to de toxing. With the large ammount you drink
and how long you have been doing so...it's highly
possible you will be having withdrawals
That's why a medically supervised withdrawal is wise.

Please keep posting with us...
Old 06-28-2008, 11:14 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Perhaps I should ask some different questions. Are you really concerned? At first you sound like you really don't care, however the action of you coming onto to this forum and making yourself known can be a subtle request for help.

When I was actively drinking I had drinking buddies and a small handful of real friends. I also had a family that cared for me. With the people in my life that cared for me, I still often felt lonely. With a beer in my hand and a couch under my a$$, I felt I was the only one with my problems and was going to have to deal with all of them alone.

Sometimes mad at the world and it's people, but mostly mad at myself, I would often try to hide it (I mostly drank alone), and put on a B.S. act that everything was ok. I drank cans instead of bottles, (cans condensed and made less noise carrying bags of empty ones to the curb), and would fake my way through the day hung over struggling to maintain a fake grin.

Drinking that case a day and living that fake way of life I was slowly killing myself, and was only a matter of time before I would hurry the process with a step off a cliff or a bullet to the head.

Something had to change. It was either going to change for the better by doing something, or change for the worse by doing nothing. I had to swallow my ego and admit that I had a problem. I admitted my problem with alcohol to my soon to be wife, and that initial admission saved my life.

I checked out an AA meeting that evening and have been sober ever since.

If you are tired of how things are in your life, you must change you before any positive change can happen. It just how it works. But if you don't think you really have a problem, then I am confused to why you would enter a forum on alcoholism, but you don't think you have a problem. Only you can make the decision that you have a problem. Sure others might say you have a problem, but what is that going to matter if you insist that everything "A-OK"?

It's real simple. Clear out the B.S. in your head and be honest with yourself. You either do or you do not have a problem with alcohol. Only you know the answer and it is that answer that can create that positive change.

Tom
Old 06-29-2008, 02:31 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Signal30 View Post
Only you can make the decision that you have a problem.
My real problem might just be that I'm a mumbling freak who cant make eye contact with people or initiate or participate in conversations with people. I can only talk at people with words pre-thought out, I cant talk back and forth with people and because of this among other things I am doomed to spend my life crunching code in front of a LCD screen in the dark of a cheap ghetto apartment.

I'm not sure if I'd even be alive right now if not for alcohol.

My main concern coming here was that I was curious as to how much longer I might be able to reasonably hope to keep getting drunk before I'm sick and dying. I figure it dubious now. I'm just gonna switch to weed for awhile.

I might keep coming back here anyway though, because I have nothing better to do.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:50 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Only you can make the decision on which path you choose to walk. I didn't drink just to self-medicate, I drank because I am a alcoholic. An alcoholic is mentally, emotionally, spiritually, and physically sick. The actual drinking was just a symptom of the disease of alcoholism.

I stopped drinking because I surrendered to alcohol. I was tried of feeling the way I was feeling. Sure it was hard and the disease wanted me to drink, but the more I learned about alcoholism, the more I learned that some of the thoughts I was having were completely insane.

You must have the willingness and honesty to quit drinking.

The willingness is the motavation to want to stop. A lot of alcoholics obtain the willingness by hitting their bottom. The willingness can form from simple desperaton ie: DUI's, loss of job, friends, health etc. Willingness: The wanting for change.

Honesty. You have to be honest with yourself. Being honest is a matter admitting to yourself whats really going on.

You cannot sit and wait for everything in your life to just magically get better.

Good luck. We are a community in here that share our expierence, strength, and hope. My comments tend to be point blank at times, but I never was good at "egg shell walking".

Were always here to help.

Tom
Old 06-29-2008, 02:57 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
That's why a medically supervised withdrawal is wise.
That was a interesting thread, but I should be fine. I have vitamins, amino acids, glutamine, electrolytes, gallons of water, lisinopril and most importantly I have both librium and tranxene. I've done this before.

Last edited by msiam207; 06-29-2008 at 03:14 AM.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:39 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Ok...your decision and I do hope it all works out.
Keep in mind ...you can go to an ER
or call 911 if necessary.
K?
Old 06-29-2008, 11:21 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Hannitized

Originally Posted by msiam207 View Post

I might keep coming back here anyway though, because I have nothing better to do.

I hope you will, whether you do or not~

When I was drinking, I used to try to rationalize it by thinking about how much other people drank. Misery loves company and I had company a’plenty!

I figured, something's gonna get me so why not let it be something I enjoy? My dear friend alcohol stole my will to live, my self respect, my money and my health.

But the joy in regaining those things…to wake up without that yoke around my neck? Bliss~

There is just something about owning yourself that is absolutely euphoric.

I hope you find what you are looking for. And I hope you come back.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:06 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I went to AA meetings to start with because I didn't have anything else to do except drink in the evenings. Totally keep coming back! I've been going to meetings for about 2 weeks and it's helped a lot.

Interestingly though, you may find that your people skills improve when you aren't drinking that much. I thought drinking was a separate problem and my social phobia, inability to make eye contact etc was another separate problem. I've discovered that since I've stopped drinking I can talk to people again. Yesterday I went to a gathering and while I was drinking there is no way I would have gone - I wouldn't have been able to connect with anyone. I wasn't the life of the party and I didn't stay long, but I went.

Anyhoo, you say you MIGHT have Asperger's. Have you had a proper diagnosis? You're totally not a mumbling freak. Not everyone has great social skills - doesn't mean you have an illness :-)
Old 06-30-2008, 07:37 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi Msiam, from reading your posts it sounds like you've already planned your life out WITH the alcohol, so why not consider for a moment what you would do with your life WITHOUT the alcohol? Think of how you would spend that 40 grand if it wasn't on booze. I'm not asking you to do it, just sit back for a minute and imagine what you would do with your life if the alcohol was not a factor...I know I have wasted many precious years slamming down beer and anything else I could get my hands on and trust me, it's know fun to be in your 30's and realize how much time and opportunity has been wasted. It also sounds like you are a bit isolated, I am in the same situation, and I know when I don't get out and talk to people my feelings of depression and hoplessness are magnified. The internet is great for talking to people, but nothing can really replace genuine person to person human interaction. So if you decide to quit drinking, maybe you could try to get out of the house sometimes, I think it would help immensely with your perspective. Anyway enough rambling, I do wish the best for you, please let us know how you're doing.

Fallin
Old 07-02-2008, 06:45 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TigerLili View Post
I went to AA meetings to start with because I didn't have anything else to do except drink in the evenings. Totally keep coming back! I've been going to meetings for about 2 weeks and it's helped a lot.

Interestingly though, you may find that your people skills improve when you aren't drinking that much. I thought drinking was a separate problem and my social phobia, inability to make eye contact etc was another separate problem. I've discovered that since I've stopped drinking I can talk to people again. Yesterday I went to a gathering and while I was drinking there is no way I would have gone - I wouldn't have been able to connect with anyone. I wasn't the life of the party and I didn't stay long, but I went.

Anyhoo, you say you MIGHT have Asperger's. Have you had a proper diagnosis? You're totally not a mumbling freak. Not everyone has great social skills - doesn't mean you have an illness :-)
They could never figure it out, but I'm marked by one side of my body being shorter and smaller than the other, gifted fine dexterity (could have the hands of a world class surgeon) yet clumsiness, cant handle paper bills in a wallet, inability to perceive peoples moods or emotions and just generally a inability to be normal even if I tried. Anyway, I've had 6 or 7 diagnosis's, psychiatry went, in order from 6 years old to recently; Aspergers, schizotypal, schizoid, schizoaffective, major depressive, bipolar NOS, schizoid. Neurologists have gone Aspergers, HFAPDD (High functioning autism)

If there is anything *wrong* with my brain, nobody knows what it is. But I'm not so sure I trust the people trying to find out, anyway.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:45 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I too would check with a physician. I don't consider "making it into the 40's" good enough. I know I would like to live much longer than that. Especially since I am already 44!! : )
Old 07-04-2008, 05:30 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Should you try? No. You sound like you're still wanting to, though you wouldn't be here asking if something inside didn't believe there is a problem.

Once you believe through and through that it's a problem for you, it won't be a try, you'll find a way to stop.

Saying we're gonna try leave the door open (in our heads) that it probably won't happen.

Besides health, is it causing any problems for other areas of your life?

You're the only one who knows if it's a problem, and if you need to stop. Comparing this to that pretty much just prolongs things.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:00 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

hello

the only thing that i can tell you is, theres harm on trying my friend.