Notices

Dont touch my beer!

Old 06-28-2008, 03:09 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jimhere View Post
One day you might. Meanwhile you should get on with getting done too.
oops, forgot where i was posting. the 12 step forum...."getting done" means i should finish all my drinking, right? yep, won't make the mistake of posting in here again. thanks for the help.

Funny, I assumed I was in the 12 step forum when i responded to your comment. So really, one shouldn't have to be told about "getting done too" in this forum.

Last edited by ruch; 06-28-2008 at 03:14 PM. Reason: correcting a mistake
Old 06-28-2008, 03:35 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I get where the comment is coming from. Year after year of the same ole, same ole. We are miserable and want changes in our lives, yet do nothing about it long term. Apparently, we want a bellyful of beer more than we want to make the effort. We are the only ones holding ourselves back. I hope you take action and sustain it this time, Patrick. Your life depends on it.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:43 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LosingmyMisery View Post
I get where the comment is coming from. Year after year of the same ole, same ole. We are miserable and want changes in our lives, yet do nothing about it long term. Apparently, we want a bellyful of beer more than we want to make the effort. We are the only ones holding ourselves back. I hope you take action and sustain it this time, Patrick. Your life depends on it.
Seems very easy to say when you have already done that. Patrick knows his life depends on it. He said that in his original post. The AA rep didn’t need to pile on parroting an unpleasant AA cliché.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:56 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hey Patrick just keep posting and don't let the AA bullies get to you.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:04 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

Maybe not, but I can not decide which words should be heard that will finally click for Patrick. Maybe those will be the words that pushes him into gear. No one knows. I had to hear harsh words before I took action. We can not decide for him. There are two type of people. Those who talk about recovery and those who make it happen. Personally, I would never assume recovery is easy for anyone. Yes, many of us achieve it, but it was never easy. The truth hurts, but often times it is what we need to hear before we are willing to take action. I'm sorry if you don't care for AA cliche. It is hard to avoid around a bunch of recovering alcoholics. I've learned to cope with it. Trust me, I hated them also, but I can understand where they are coming from and why.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:09 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Right, and telling someone to "get on with getting done" who is actually trying to not drink. That is helpful? Explain how, please.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:20 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I can not speak for anyone other than myself.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:49 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

exactly
Old 06-28-2008, 05:07 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

Then you fully understand why I choose not to explain words I did not post.

Perhaps you would like to share your experience and encouragement that may be helpful to Patrick.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:23 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please direct your comments to the original thread starter and address personal disagreements in a private message.

If the moderator sees something inappropriate she will address it when she gets here.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:31 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Years ago I was a chronic relapser. Thirty days here, forty-five days there, in and out of AA meetings, treatment centers and de-tox facilities. One time I was at an AA meeting and when they asked if there were any newcomers I said "I'm Jim and I'm back." A fellow behind me leaned forward and whispered "When were you ever here?" Ouch, that hurt, but I knew it was true.

The day after my last drink, the first person I ever really listened to in AA looked at me across a table during a noon AA meeting and said "I Have been watching you for the last four years and if you don't get your head out of your ass you are going to die." I HEARD him.

A man I consider a mentor was known to say "Truth without love is cruelty and confrontation without a real answer is brutality." Those guys could say that stuff to me because they had an answer if I cared to have it.

In AA they say that we'll love you until you can learn to love yourself. Well, we'll love your ass to death if you let us.
Jim

As MorningGlory has said, if anyone cares to discuss why I take the stance that I do, please pm me.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:38 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

uggh....

hey homer. wishing you well still, sir.

So, as a card carying 'participant' i get a bad vibe about certian things 'members' say to relapsers sometimes.

things like "better you then me", or "hows THAT working for ya...."

Just seem to lack compassion, understanding or anything of as a result of theese steps, or practice of principals...." First hand,my experience receiving comments like that after relapse, or still seeking help at AA, it hurt me, as i have been told such things . It seems like a case of kick me when im down... rather then carying a message of hope that ANYONE can find recovery (The is the overwelming example i have seen in aa and na. )

no one could berate or shame me into quiting, i remember very clearly.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:41 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

If tough love worked, the OP would be president of AA by now.
If he's anything like I was - it'll send him off pissed, and make him drink harder.

The trouble with telling people to drink their fill is...some will.
They'll die. Just to spite you.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 06-28-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:17 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Chill with the personal attacks and baiting of other members.
As our Adminstrator Morning Glory asked...use PM.

Please do share your personal experiences with
alcoholism and your recovery.

There is not one member here who wants another
to die from alcoholism. If what I share
does not click with someone....perhaps yours will.

Thanks for remembering why we are here.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:48 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

"Kind" words did not help in getting me sober. In fact - most of those in my life didn't have many kind things to say to me, if they were talking to me at all. I heard a lot of stuff (from non-alcoholics) like:

"You can drink all the time for all I care- just get out of my life"
"Here's another bottle, since you care more about that than you do me".

I think we all know the routine. The really harsh stuff is yet to come Homer

"We the jury find you guilty.."
"I am taking the kids and leaving for good"
"You killed 3 people in a car accident last night..you don't remember?"

To the OP - do you want to stop drinking? Are you ready to take a little responsibility in doing so? I see a lot of care in different forms in this thread - yet, where are you?

From your previous posts, it seems you are gonna drink no matter what anyone in these forums said.

If you want to know how I stopped - PM me. I can tell you precisely what I do. If not - do something, somehow...it doesn't sound like you are enjoying life very much.

It is possible to live a very fulfilling life without alcohol...
Old 06-29-2008, 07:09 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

These attitudes are precisely why I have issues with 12-step programs, though I remain a faithful member as NA/AA is the only program that has worked for me, personally. The fact that we worship a text from almost a hundred years ago is reflected in the guilt and shame-based statements so many old-timers claim to utter out of genuine concern. Seriously, why is it any skin off someone's back if a person relapses? He or she has his own higher power and it is not in the hands of another human being... hopefully those you "tough love" show you more respect when you falter... It's a cunning, baffling disease.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:10 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Liberty47 View Post
These attitudes are precisely why I have issues with 12-step programs, though I remain a faithful member as NA/AA is the only program that has worked for me, personally. The fact that we worship a text from almost a hundred years ago is reflected in the guilt and shame-based statements so many old-timers claim to utter out of genuine concern. Seriously, why is it any skin off someone's back if a person relapses? He or she has his own higher power and it is not in the hands of another human being... hopefully those you "tough love" show you more respect when you falter... It's a cunning, baffling disease.
For a 1st post, you didn't waste time getting your opinion across. Patrick has been on this site for 5 years, doing the same thing, some of us have read hundred of his posts, they are all similar, if you have something to offer that will get him sober, I will be the 1st to say well done. Are you one that uses love and tolerance as an excuse for silence, as people slip away?

These days I'm kind of into caring about people, so yes, It is skin off my back in the sense that I know how dying from alcoholism feels like, and I know a solution that has worked pretty damn well in my life and the lives of countless other.

Your post contains generalizations that don't apply to all of us. I don't worship the BIg Book, the steps, my sponsor or meetings. I have a relationship with the power they guided me to, This power has removed my problem. I have recovered from alcoholism. If i live by these principles I will never drink again, so I am not overly concerned about being respected by folks I have spoken my conscious to.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:02 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Liberty 47

Opinions are what this place runs on - we're all free to give them and all free to disagree.

It won't be news here, but for what it's worth, I by and large agree with you - I must say tho that it will always be 'skin off my back' when someone relapses.

I have no doubt we all want to help.

For me, I try always to remember the way I felt as an active alcoholic - I needed support not vituperation; I needed to know others didn't give up on me even tho I was a cigarette paper away from giving up on myself....I needed a firm hand sure (some might argue I still do LOL) - but not a
monolithic one.

whatever works for you is the best programme right?
D
Old 06-30-2008, 02:29 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I must say tho that it will always be 'skin off my back' when someone relapses.
Me too dee, but Homer (Patrick) has nothing to relapse 'from' he has been pretty much permanently drunk all these years.

My back does not have enough skin to *also* be concerned with those who cannot or will not recover. I have to be there - and I am = for the still suffering alcoholic who wishes to recover.

Randomly drunkenly posting on SR does not qualify as a wish to recover. Getting off your butt, and out of yourself, and doing ANY program shows willingness

JMHO
Old 06-30-2008, 04:19 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

You know, it seems that every thread that has more than 20 posts is because there is a debate going on.

Just an observation.

Tom