Notices

Life lessons...one of mine

Old 06-26-2008, 01:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Life lessons...one of mine

As some of you know I work in a nursing home. I have considered leaving due to the amount of death I see on a daily basis...but every time I decide I have to leave I meet someone who is so amazing I realize that I am meant to be right where I am.

Today, in came a man who is 97 years old...COPD, can't walk, can hardly hear, has outlived his children and financially destitute due to his medical bills...only in America...another rant for another time...anyway...I went to his room to introduce myself and explain I would be taking him to PT in the mornings to which he replied "I knew God gave me another day for a reason."
I said "Yes I am here to help you get well" and he said "I am dying young lady, but God wanted me to see your smile before I left." All the air was sucked out of the room for a moment...tears welled up so strong I could not fight them as they rolled down my cheek...I could not speak...he grabbed my hand and said "It's ok, life is wonderful ain't it?" I could barely speak...."yes I replied, life is wonderful" it was then it struck me it is all about perception even in his state he viewed life as a gift not a burden...who was I to argue....Life is wonderful...demons and all....

Just wanted to share! Change your perception and you can change your life.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Nice.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Thanks for sharing...
Old 06-26-2008, 01:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Oh Bugsworth, that brought tears to my eyes.

How lucky you are to have met him and the people you take care of are blessed to have you.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Bugs

D
Old 06-26-2008, 01:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

oh gosh....

thank you , bugs
Old 06-26-2008, 02:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for that, Bugsworth. I needed something like that today. Good for you on the work you do. Jomey
Old 06-26-2008, 02:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeh!!! Brilliant...I hope i've still got all the lines at his age!
Old 06-26-2008, 02:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

thanks Bugsworth-I needed that also.
awesome experience I am sure.
what greater thing can we do than be of service?
Old 06-26-2008, 02:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

That was so beautiful. Do you mind if I share it?
Old 06-26-2008, 02:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am so glad that this man without even knowing it touched so many...I am always amazed at the wisdom I get from my job!

bballdad...I agree, so many ways we can help others! Thanks

benjiboy...let me share this one with you....I am sure you will appreciate it... on Monday one of my residents was leaving to go to another nursing home closer to his familys home.....about 15 mile east of us in the Hamptons of Long Island...I went to say good bye and good luck and he says to me "Well I will miss you, but feel free to come and visit me and don't forget your bikini after all it is the Hamptons!!!! OMG right on deaths door and the man still wants to see a woman in a bikini!!! LOL
Old 06-26-2008, 02:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Suki....Why would I mind? Of course...it is a tribute to pass on the knowledge of our elders.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The most rewarding job I ever had
was doing home health care for seniors.

I'm so glad you too find it's an awesome experience
Thanks for sharing....
Old 06-26-2008, 05:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Carol, not a doubt in my mind that you were incredible at your job...we may not see eye to eye regarding aa but you have a heart bigger than any I have ever experienced.

I love my job...there are days that I feel I have seen enough pain to last a life time...times I felt I needed to leave for my own health...but no sooner than I feel this pain when in walks another soul 20 in spirit 88 in body, and I think how can I leave? I always try to share with my patients that it is an honor to work with them...not just a job but a joy to have known them. It is the only way I can survive in that environment. While I don't share much about God and my connection to him because I don't rely on him to solve my addiction, I do believe he is keeping me in this profession because I have something to give and so much to learn.

I think I may have shared this briefly here a few weeks ago, but I was with a patient when they passed...at first I was overcome with grief, but I realized had I not been there I would not have experience life in it's full circle...it was painful, but an honor.

Thank you for your support.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
No AA

bugs--awesome stories
it takes a special type of person to do your job and it sounds like you are well fit for it. i used to work on a floor of a hospital where there was death and it was very wearing, unfortunately these ppl were usually on vents or unable to speak. but i got to have some of your moments also--powerful stuff.
i think the fake family members wore me out more than anything else really. and also the spouse who had been with their partner for 50 years walking out that door--that just tore me up. i always wondered if they would even know what to do when they got home after being with someone for so long. i'm in another job now.....just wasn't my gig. so i applaud what you do.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks Bugs!

My last job, as a nurse, was in a nursing home. Although it was stressful at times (too many of them and not enough of me), I learned a lot about life through those people and I will always be grateful to them.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 06-27-2008, 04:11 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Thanks for the post bugs, senior citizens have so much wisdom and life to share when we do as you do and are there for them, if it is nothing but being a hand to hold or an ear to listen. I have worked with mentally ******** and emotionaly disturbed children, they are also gifts to us all if we let them be.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Hey Bugs:

That was a God Shot for sure!!!!!!! Whoa

Some of my greatest God Shots have been when I was working. The last 13 years I could work I did Home Care of the Terminally Ill and/or the Totally Incapacitated.

I learned so much from my patients, and even though it has been 8 years now, I STILL MISS IT.

You are in a great place!!!!!!

Thank you so much for sharing that, I read it to my room mate who is also in the program and she too got tears in her eyes, first thing she said "What a God Shot."

You are a GOOD person Bugs. You are right where you are suppose to be. I still when I can go to the Nursing Homes here in town to visit the Seniors that no longer get visitor, I learn so much.

Again thank you for sharing this beautiful event.

Love and hugs,