Notices

Concert

Old 06-23-2008, 04:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Concert

Hey All,

Went to see Steve Winwood and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers last night, it was my first concert EVER sober and/or not high.

What did I learn?

Well first off, man do people get drunk at concerts, I had no idea!! Part of me was like man what's up with these people? Then I remembered I used to be one of them!

It was a little hard at first seeing everyone swilling beer and partying but hey, I just told myself that isn't me anymore.

Well I surprised myself by really enjoying the Concert!

Tom Petty put on a hell of a show!! Steve Winwood was great too but it poured rain during his set so I was under a sheet of plastic for most of it!

The BEST PART was driving home and waving to all of the friendly Policemen!!

Well just thought I'd share.

John
Old 06-23-2008, 04:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Awesome!

It just goes to show that things are better sober. This morning I was reflecting about how many "good" things I missed because I was messed up.... It'd be nice if I could remember all my concert experiences.
chip
Old 06-23-2008, 06:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good for you John!
Another victory over drinking,
Old 06-23-2008, 07:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
where the light is

Good stuff, John!

My wife is taking me to the Tom Petty/Steve Winwood concert for my birthday. It stops in my area in August.

I love going to concerts. The last few I went to, I didn't have even the slightest sense of being deprived because others were drinking and I wasn't. Just there to enjoy the music, the stage show, the excitement, and my friends. And getting hammered is going to make this better how exactly? More of my old warped thinking...

Many more rockin' nights out to come !
Old 06-23-2008, 09:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was never a fan of Tom Petty and friends - but two years ago I was invited to go see them at the Hollywood Bowl (extra ticket kind of thig) it turned out to be one great show- I was totally impressed (I can be a bit of a music snob). I was not drinking that night - but of course most people there were, and smoking etc- I still had a great time. Stevie Knicks did a bunch of songs with them too - all around a great show.

Going to see him again at the Hollywood Bowl, this Wednesday 6/25...maybe I'm hooked. I didn't know Steve Winwood was on also - that's great! I haven't seen him since he sat in at a Grateful Dead show back in 92 or 93....
Old 06-24-2008, 03:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

John that is awesome, I too have been shocked at how much better things are sober, sporting events sober are awesome, being fully aware of what is going on, what the score is and remembering the whole event is beyond awesome.

I am now actually able to converse intelligently about the 4th quarter of a game with those guys who remember all of the game now!
Old 06-24-2008, 04:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Eddie Van Halen wannabe

This kind of reminds me about my life...

For the longest time I made it a point NOT to drink at concerts or when I myself played out in a band.

Looking back now I can see how over the last ten years I let that discipline go. It got to the point where I could NOT go to a concert or play a gig without getting hammered.

I have a gig coming up in a few weeks. Playing it sober will be weird. I did it "dry" last year...I was going through one of my "not drinking" (note I didn't say SOBER) periods. I say "dry" because even though I didn't drink, I was still miserable. The family wanted to tag along and I was thouroghly planning on sneaking in a pint of vodka. I was pissed because they came and I COULDN'T drink in front of them.

This year will be different. They plan on going and I have no reservation about it whatsoever. My eight-year old gets a kick out of seeing me play. Heck, he has a few guitars himself!

Also...God knows I couldn't have enjoyed the Van Halen concert I saw if I was drunk. I wouldn't have remembered it (Eddie is the King!!)