Notices

A Friend is Dying....

Old 03-26-2011, 05:15 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by plulu View Post
If you bare with me....this does relate to drinking.

She is not an addict. She is 35 years old. She is the Mother of 3 boys ages 10 8 and 4. Happily married and by all accounts, she has lived a good life.

We had lost touch over the past couple of years, basically due to me being a drunk. Something I deeply regret. I just didnt have that much in common with her anymore. Here I was still partying years after most people stop and she was raising a family. I was downing budweiser and she was making cookies. She still kept in touch, stopped by the office here and there, she made the effort to be my friend and I made very little the past few years. Seriously nice girl. Rare person. Good person. Good friend. Last time I saw her was 3 months ago.

Her name is Frances, named after a Saint no-less.

She has liver cancer and is on Hospice. Her husband works for me. He is taking this week off to plan her service and be with her as much as possible. She is dying. Leaving behind 3 children and a husband that is madly in love with her. Will they ever heal?

Frances is someone that Chose life. She never abused herself and she never took her life for granted. Most of us here have not made a choice that's PROlife, we have cherished very little, we have abused ourselves beyond belief and yet....yet here I sit. Fit as a fiddle. My liver (so far) is ok. It doesnt make any sense to me.

What kind of words would my friends and family say about me when I pass?? Good person? Good friend? Was I there for anyone? Truly available on a human level? Or did I let my disease wrap up my life and waste it away?

Nothing like a little death to open your eyes.

Please pray for Her that her passing is peaceful, that her children can heal and her husband can mend his shredded heart.

And everyone here, take care of yourselves. Truly. Care for your life.
I am very sorry for your friend. I will pray for her and for her family and you that you guys are able to get through this.
That being said, I can't agree that most of us haven't made prolife choices. that is why we are here. We want to recover, we want to live. I didn't drink for very long, but I always worry what will happen if I go back. Which keeps me visiting here, cause I don't want the alternative. I have an alcoholic mother that god knows what is happening to wit her dementia (at age 56) or will happen to, but I know she's at least tried to quit. I also see people post here with severe health conditions that kill them, and they're trying. Those I pray for the most, even though I am not religious. It sucks to want to live, want to not deal with this and just keep doing it. Its madness. I count myself lucky I stopped when I did, because many are not so lucky and I honestly dont believe its a choice for some. Or if it is, its one they really struggle with. It sucks and I dont believe most of us would choose to be that way.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:02 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm sorry about your friend and will pray for her. We're all going to die at some point. It what we do in life that matters. Sounds like she has lived it right
Old 03-26-2011, 09:46 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Ah, so sad. I think of her children. It makes no sense. Thank you for sharing this with us. I will remember to care for myself and my family ever so more.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:55 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry Julian - prayers for all involved.

D
Old 03-27-2011, 06:35 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

prayers sent