Notices

Need some advice. Long, sorry.

Old 06-19-2008, 03:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need some advice. Long, sorry.

not really alcohol related, so Carol, you can put it in another forum if it belongs there.

Anyone who's been reading my threads knows I was fired/put on leave for "drinking on the job" in February. My "corporate leave" ended in March when I resigned, even though the internal investigation determined that I had NOT been drinking on the job. I hated that job and couldn't go back to a bunch of fools that accused me with no proof except for my past as an alcoholic. Funny, how can an alcoholic actually get cleared of "drinking on the job," especially when I had only sobered up immediately prior to that job? Since then, I've been living off savings, and doing random landscaping day laboring. Good lord do I have a new appreciation for those guys! I had no idea how hard it would be to find a job these days.

Anyway, when it rains it pours. I find a new AA group and get offered three jobs. Here's my dilemma.

My chosen profession is marketing/advertising even though I have a masters degree in Theatre and Opera. I'm too alcoholic and fat to act anymore. My 20's were cool though

Anyway, I have a choice between:
A: not enough money, but it is marketing and offers a lot of stability
B: the scary prospect of part time to "maybe" full time (but enough money), and in my field
or C: the right money and benefits, but nowhere near what might further my career. ie: just another job.

I have a long history of making the wrong choice when it comes to jobs. I've been laid off more times than an American auto worker. What would you guys pick?
Old 06-19-2008, 03:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think the decision is yours to make. However, I truely would take a job for lesser pay if I enjoyed what I was doing. I know a lot of people make that statement but I don't believe some of them.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree with tiburon.
I am a secretary and clinic aide at an at risk high school. Each of the jobs equal 8 hours a day. I am not recieving insurance benefits at this time and am waiting for the district to give the okay for the principal to hire another full time secretary.
I also have a degree in Psychology of Organizational Development. I know I could go get a higher paying job with benefits from the get go. The reason I don't do this is because I love my job at the school so much. The people I work with make each day enjoyable.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My adivce is to take the job that you think you will like the most, and will make you most happy.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I'll ask you what my sponsor would ask me: Did you pray on it?

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 06-19-2008, 05:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
where the light is

Bit of a tricky question. Some things to consider:

What impact does part-time/not enough money have on your life? Bills can't be paid? Family to support?

How important are "benefits"?

How does each option impact your long-term career goals? Are they (hopefully) stepping stones to bigger & better things (eg. you need the experience)?

Your second option seems to have the best payoff (advance your career, potentially "enough" money) but there is risk.

Regardless, you are in a good position - three job offers!
Old 06-19-2008, 05:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

ask into your heart.

the more people you ask, the more different views you'll receive, which may be a help in your decision making process, but ultimately the answer is, how can you best be of service to your higher power?
Old 06-19-2008, 07:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

I was trained long ago to take an 8-1/2 X 11 notepad and draw a line down the center with PRO on the left and CON on the right. I then list as many reasons that come to mind for each choice in the appropriate columns. This not only gives me a comparative by count, but makes me sit quietly and evaluate one at a time.

I agree with Sugah, after I have given the matter my best; I ask for "direction" from a higher power.

In my opinion when we begin casting about for public opinion we seem to admit to ourselves that we are willing to accept "popular opinion" in lieu of our own intuitive feelings. How many times do we say "I knew that was the RIGHT/WRONG idea," that is our inner voice, or higher power speaking to us.

Remember, Praying is easy; listening for the answer is the tough part. Regardless of your choice of method, as has been said, obviously you are doing something right (sobriety perhaps?) since you have three choices.

Best of luck,

Jon
Old 06-19-2008, 07:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm ...In recovery
the job I loved best had no benefits and crummy pay.
I stayed there for 6 years ..until I relocated.

I worked in elders home care as a C.N.A.
All made possible thru an AA contact.

Each time I went in...I was able to make
a positive difference in anothers situation.

I was also single...and had no debts.
I agree with Gravity ...that needs consideration.

These last 4 years I have been unable to work.
My vision is too dim...so no more car...or salary.

That means I live on $686 a month + $50 in Food Stamps.
The reason I share the $$$ here is to let members know
you can meet financial challenges and stay in the joy of recovery.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Ok. My opinion, cause you asked, would be do not take the C prospect! Blech. Take the job where you think you can survive financially, and the one where you get a feeling you'll be happy at. Money is good, but it isn't everything. It's amazing just what you can get by on..

Oh yeah, and pray on it. :-)
Old 06-20-2008, 07:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you all! I knew I should've stepped back and thought about the Higher Power way rather than slip back into the Tex way. I will pray on it. My 30's meeting is tonight and my home group is tomorrow and I will be praying on it the whole time. I actually have until July 28th to make any decision, but I'm going stir crazy in the house. With gas prices, I don't want to go anywhere. I just sit around and garden and hang out on the SR boards all day long.

My fear is that everytime I'm offered a job, I always seem to go with the company that is on the verge of bankruptcy. And, yes, I've gone for the money too many times.

I have to admit that I'm leaning towards B. BUT (and it's a big but) the job involves extensive travel to Las Vegas (once every two weeks for a few days)...which is a huge trigger for me. I love that town and would live there full time, back in theatre, if I could trust myself around the booze.

I have been working out like crazy so HP willing, I might be able to act again, but I still have 70 pounds to go. Acting + a part time job = a happy Tex.

I am relatively debt free (just a student loan) and could comfortably get by on $1000 a month. I just want more because I want that depleted savings account back and all the money I used to spend on alcohol. I'm also gonna need a new car and, having sold cars at one point, I want to pay cash.

God bless you all for your help. Thank you.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'd pick choice A because of the stability. Tough economic times are ahead....
Old 06-20-2008, 09:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

Whatever choice you make you CAN change if it doesn't fit you, relax and make your choice knowing that the most important thing might not be the job right now ... the most important thing is you.

I just took a job 6 months ago that means I have to travel a bit for it, have to work in an environment where they all love Friday night drinks .... BUT the upside is that I really like the work. The pay is not great, but that will happen later, I really am not stressed about it

Take care