Notices

How long does the insomnia last?

Old 06-18-2008, 11:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How long does the insomnia last?

I have drank twice in the past 2 weeks, and I'm doing ok with the cravings. I've never been able to drink after eating ice cream, so when I get a craving, I just eat a bowl of ice cream. I've also been doing ok with the irritability. But, one thing I'm having a real problem with is insomnia.

The last time I drank was last Saturday night. Before that, it was the previous Monday. Before that, it was the previous Wednesday, and before that, it was pretty much on a regular basis. I got to the point that I wasn't even buzzed after a 12 pack, and if I didn't go straight to bed after #12, I would be up all night, not able to get to sleep. Now, I can't get to sleep, even with sleeping pills.

I have a really supportive girlfriend, who I live with. She hasn't gotten much sleep either over the past few nights. But, she's confident that it will pass.

It was never like this until over the past couple months. I guess it is because I developed a tolerance for the 12 pack, and refused to go out and get more beer or start buying cases. I didn't want to drink more than a 12 pack.

I guess you could say that the 'pivot point' was the Monday before last. I started at around 6:30 PM, and had to be up at 7, the next morning for a photography outing that I won from Nikon. I finished my 12 pack around 10:30, but didn't go to bed until around 12:30. Bad mistake. I was up all night. I still made it to the outing, but it was a very long day.

I've never missed work due to a hangover. I've always suffered through it, and plus, I stopped getting hangovers last year sometime.

I've decided to completely give it up. And, if I can make it through Friday night without drinking, I think I'll be home free. A friend who I haven't seen in a long time is coming to my town with his band, and I'm going to go see them.

So, does anyone have any advice on the insomnia? I don't want to get addicted to pills to take the place of alcohol. If I can do this, cigarettes are next on my 86' list.

I wish all of you the best of luck, and I'm glad I found this forum.

EDIT: I guess I should have looked at the whole board before posting. I just noticed the insomnia board. The mods can move it there if necessary. Sorry about that.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

After a drinking binge my insomnia usually subsided in about a month. I would say that the amount consumed and length of time that you were abusing alcohol would be major factors in the equation.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Maybe try getting some exercise during the day to tire you out more too.

That did wonders for me.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

For me it was always about 2 weeks. I found that if I avoided all caffeine, it shortened the time needed to get back in sync with normal sleeping.

WARNING: Don't use this as a tip to detox faster. I know all kinds of detox tricks and tips that only enabled me continue drinking longer than I should have.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please see if this link helps with insomnia.

Insomnia? 41 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

I detest sleeping...so I never tried these tips.

Congratulations on planning a sober life.
Welcome to SR.....