Notices

Back from another 10 month bender

Old 06-14-2008, 01:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back from another 10 month bender

You know I joined this site exactly 2 years ago to the day. I first joined because of how bad my father was with booze. Now, exactly two years later he is sober and doing great. Me, I am as bad as ever. Trying to make today day one again. I really suck at this not drinking thing......
Old 06-14-2008, 01:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome back,ruch! Glad you are here! :ghug3
Old 06-14-2008, 01:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ever closer...

This is a great place to be! I have only been sober a couple months but it has been an awesome couple months! Were you sober for awhile before?
Old 06-14-2008, 03:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by beingjenagain View Post
This is a great place to be! I have only been sober a couple months but it has been an awesome couple months! Were you sober for awhile before?
The longest stretch I've been able to pull off was 3 months. That was two years ago. Since then I've strung together a couple weeks here and there. I can't seem to gain any momentum.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

....Welcome back to SR!

Good to know your Dad is doing well...
have you asked him how he found sobriety?

For me...I read "Under The Influence"
took that information

Re connected to God and AA.

I've not had another drink....

I strongly recommend the book or
it's sequal "Beyond The Influence"

Here is a link to excerpts....

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html
Old 06-14-2008, 05:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Most of us are here because we suck at that "not drinking" thing. No shame there. It's never too late to turn your life positive. I started in '05 and just this year actually got it.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

We all suk at this not drinking thing , thats why we are here. If we were good at it , who the hell needs these losers like me ??????????????? :wtf2
Old 06-14-2008, 05:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just don't drink
Old 06-15-2008, 06:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
....Welcome back to SR!

Good to know your Dad is doing well...
have you asked him how he found sobriety?

For me...I read "Under The Influence"
took that information

Re connected to God and AA.

I've not had another drink....

I strongly recommend the book or
it's sequal "Beyond The Influence"

Here is a link to excerpts....

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html
Thanks Carol. My Father waited until he was practically on the verge of death before finding his sobriety. He had a moment of clarity while laying in a hospital bed and went straight from the hospital to a treatment center then onto a sober living place which is where he still resides. AA is the centerpiece of his recovery. I am going to have a heart to heart with him and ask for help.

I do have the Under the Influence book. I bought it 10 months ago when I was "trying". I'll have to dust it off and really read it this time. Thank you for your suggestions.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Along with "not drinking", it helps to work on all aspects of your life. Make changes for the better while you are "not drinking" and life can get better overall, even without drinking.

Hang in there...
Old 06-16-2008, 05:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rimmy View Post
Along with "not drinking", it helps to work on all aspects of your life. Make changes for the better while you are "not drinking" and life can get better overall, even without drinking.

Hang in there...

Great point, Rimmy. Because of my drinking i've neglected my body, my house, my education, etc.......time to put some efforts into into them among other things.

Day three. It's been easy so far. My road normally starts getting rocky after a week or two.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

i'm in the same boat as you. right now i'm trying to get through one weekend without drinking. the weekends are my real problem days.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by YaDude View Post
i'm in the same boat as you. right now i'm trying to get through one weekend without drinking. the weekends are my real problem days.
No doubt. By Friday the awfulness of my last bender will no longer be fresh in my mind. That's when I'll begin to rationalize the fact that I can handle and deserve a drink for working so hard this week.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by steamvessel View Post
Just pick up the pieces and start again. You can only have today, for better or worse. No sense worrying about anything else because it's not going to make a difference anyway. Stick around this board awhile and don't drink. It works, trust me!

PS: and may I add

"you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind is blowing"
Old 06-17-2008, 07:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Finishing up day 4. It was a tough day mainly because I didn't get much sleep lastnight. I really get lucky when it comes to withdrawl, my physical symptoms are long gone. Fighting the urge is what will come next for me. And on Thursday I will likely be having an argument with the alcoholic in me who will try to rationialize that it is ok to drink.

Until then, I'm gonna enjoy a brief peace. Goodnight all.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Finishing up day 6. So far still been quite easy. Although the weekend does loom.....
Old 06-19-2008, 07:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Fill the weekend with interesting activities

I'm going to have AA meetings and fellowship
as my awesome adventure...

Well done on your sober days
Old 06-20-2008, 06:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

52 minutes before the liquor store closes. I just gotta make it until then and I won't drink tonight. The drink I crave is at the Liquoer store. I never thought I'd feel lucky to live in a state where hard liquoer isn't available at the same stores as beer. 50 more minutes......
Old 06-21-2008, 05:05 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

ruch, From your notes here you appear to be a relapse veteran and you have the vocabulary down pat. The simple truth of a new life is the willingness to finally surrender your inability to master Alcoholism on your own via help from God coupled with your good action. Are you not tired of watching the clock to see if the liquor store is closed? Are you not tired of that sickening feeling after a return to drinking? This is another example of the insanity that Alcoholism binds to every Drunk; can't live with it, can't live without it.

There is a solution.

Get a copy of the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous and read, go to meetings and listen, find a quiet place and ask God to move this parasite from your life. No one but a Power Greater than you can accomplish this work in your life. I willl be thinking of you and look forward to your continued success, One Day at a Time.

Ron
Old 06-21-2008, 07:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice and kind words, Rufus. I have the book, I've gone to meetings, albeit not many. I am definitely willing to try more meetings.

Where I run into a problem is reading all the references to god peppered in your post. That is why I will always get stuck on step three. I have had decent suggestions....just work the first two steps also suggestions as to what I can use in place of god as my Higher Power. Definitely good suggestions. Definitely better than what I am doing. Cause you're right, this ain't gonna work. Me sitting here watching the clock every friday and saturday night is going to fail. I've been through it before and the alcohol always wins.