Notices

Panic attack...meds "break" sobriety streak?

Old 06-13-2008, 05:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Computer Surgeon

Panic attack...meds "break" sobriety streak?

I just had a really bad anxiety attack, and have actually been having them for the last 2 weeks. It's been terrible. I have some lorazapam that was given to me in March after my last ER visit. I'm considering taking one if I have another episode, but I don't want to break my sobriety streak. What do you guys think? These were given to me by the ER doctor and the label says to take "as needed". I don't have any desire to "get high"...I just want to feel normal. When I have an anxiety attack it feels like a heart attack...extremely unpleasant.

I want to get in to see my doctor to address this ASAP (I've been on zoloft + xanax before for depression/anxiety), but it's friday 4:55 PM and of course he's not there. I just called. He's going on vacation for 2 weeks.

*shakes fist*

Would taking the lorazapam constitute breaking my continuous sobriety?
Old 06-13-2008, 05:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Different people feel differently about this, but in my personal opinion, I wouldn't consider your sobriety being affected if you aren't taking the meds to get high. I mean, come on...are people supposed to suffer just so they can say their sobriety date is unaffected? Forget that nonsense.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Computer Surgeon

That's how I feel too. I drove home somehow and feel kinda shakey still. Haven't taken anything yet...

Thanks for your reply.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

I have meds that were given by my DR. to be taken --as needed for panic attacks/anxiety. Granted--I haven't needed to take them in a while, but if it ever got to the point where I felt I was having a heart attack.....and if I really thought I needed one--I would take it. Luckily--I have been able to calm myself down before it has escalated to that point. Plus it sounds like you are keeping in touch with your Doctor and will go over how to handle it from here. My suggestion--try some breathing techniques first...or some other calming technique--and maybe as a last resort..go with the meds--if you are concerned about relapse. I never abused my panic attack meds. I took less than the recommended dose anyway because I didnt want to become dependent on them. If it is written on the label--Use as needed--and you aren't popping them like candy--it doesn't really matter what other people in the program say/think. Just be sure to follow up as soon as you can with your doctor. Plus, it also sounds like you have some other "mental" issues that need to be discussed as well. Good luck..and remember to BREATHE! :ghug3
Old 06-13-2008, 05:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The only sober time I count is my own.

What meds I take and for what medical issue
have nothing to do with alcohol.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Lorazepam = Ativan (benzodiazepine)

Have benzo's been a problem for you in the past? Are they your 'drug of choice'?

My own experience is to try and 'gut it out', get through the hard time with the thought in mind that the lorazepam is there if you need it. Sometimes just knowing it is within reach is comforting.

Would it constitute a relapse? Not if taken as prescribed, in my opinion.

(I've always said that I'll take benzo's before I'd drink, and/or before I'd shoot myself.)
Old 06-13-2008, 06:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

not an AAer disclaimer blah blah blah

if they're a prescribed medication, and you're taking them as directed, it's nobody else's business.

I'm with Suki and Carol D.
D
Old 06-13-2008, 06:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
ever closer...

I'm with Dee. That's what I was going to say. if you are taking somehing for the prescribed reason in the prescribed amount I wouldn't consider it abuse. The warning on alcohol tells us to avoid all the things we were doing. i never saw a beer can that said 'drink till you act like a total ass'
Old 06-13-2008, 06:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lol.

D
Old 06-13-2008, 06:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Might be a good idea!
Old 06-14-2008, 12:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I certainly can't say if its right or wrong to take them, but if you want an opinion, I'd suggest being VERY careful with them. I say this because I had bad experience with them. Lorazapam was like alcohol in a pill form for me. It was hard not to abuse them for me. I couldn't resist eating them like candy. When I realized what was happening I had to flush them down the toilet and not renew the prescription. I explained to the doctor and he was able to give me something else that didn't have that effect and I've been fine ever since.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I would try praying and going to a meeting,then it would not be necessary to take the pills
thats my experience
Old 06-14-2008, 03:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Here is information on Lorazepam. I am not an addict or alcoholic, but I've avoided this medication. Among benzodiazepines, lorazepam has a relatively high addictive potential that can occur within 2 weeks of use. This article says 1 week. Can you go back to the ER and get a prescription for Zoloft instead?

Lorazepam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 06-14-2008, 06:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

In my opinion, as long as you're not abusing them, but only taking them as needed you should be alright. Do be careful tho, the benzos are very addicting.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I have been really pleased with the intelligent and thoughtful responses on this thread.

One of my pet peeves is when people decide that the Big Book says that people who take prescribed medications are not sober. When in fact the BB does not say that at all.

Common sense does tell most people that we should be careful when taking any medications and be sure we are taking it as prescribed rather than using it for something it was not intended for such as an escape from reality.

One thing that is nice to see is when people respect the fact that each of us are different and some of us suffer from mental health issues that need medical intervention. I am proud of our people here at SR that have respected that in their responses and still provided their opinions. I wish you the best and agree with the previous posters, be careful to take as prescribed. I do have one more suggestion and that is to help you find the source of this anxiety you might consider seeing a therapist. If anxiety is not treated it can develop into a much worse problem like PTSD. I only say this because my childhood anxiety has developed into PTSD in my sobriety because I did not work on finding the cause once I got sober and just tried to bull head my way through it.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Lorazapam has some potential for abuse, however, it's not as bad as Xanax. If used only in emergancy situations I think you will be okay.

Tib
Old 06-14-2008, 10:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

we should not let doctors come into AA and we should not take AA to doctors
what I mean by that is we should focus on staying sober and leave the medical advice to doctors,who are more qualified to examine us and administer medicines.Doctors are a outside issue.Sometimes alcoholics can find a way to tell people it`s ok to take ...whatever.. when it is the doctors place to do so.I would think if it interferes with my sobriety I might want to try someone else to get a 2nd opinion(hopefully a Dr who knows about addiction/alcoholism) or to find something else that works.I`m not pointing a finger at anyone here just to clear that up.I have friends in AA who has PTSD and they seek outside help and are doing great.Sometimes it is nessacery
Old 06-14-2008, 10:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Philippines/Canada

while i was an active alki i ended up abusing benzos. Anxiety or depression is no longer an issue due to a lot of work i have done cognitively, coping tactics, changing my thinking etc. But early on in recovery i did take sleep aids just to take the edge off so i could sleep and reset so to speak. Because i know if i didn't it would escalate. But that was just me, just be very carefully what ever it is you decide to do.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyPaperAnchor View Post
I just had a really bad anxiety attack, and have actually been having them for the last 2 weeks. It's been terrible. I have some lorazapam that was given to me in March after my last ER visit. I'm considering taking one if I have another episode, but I don't want to break my sobriety streak. What do you guys think? These were given to me by the ER doctor and the label says to take "as needed". I don't have any desire to "get high"...I just want to feel normal. When I have an anxiety attack it feels like a heart attack...extremely unpleasant.

I want to get in to see my doctor to address this ASAP (I've been on zoloft + xanax before for depression/anxiety), but it's friday 4:55 PM and of course he's not there. I just called. He's going on vacation for 2 weeks.

*shakes fist*

Would taking the lorazapam constitute breaking my continuous sobriety?

Hi PaperAnchor

How are you feeling today? I ask because usually, panic and anxiety attacks will pass. I remember this, and then I recall the vicious cycle of having one attack, it ending, and the worry over the next one. Its a very uncomfortable, draining way to feel and i am sorry you are going through it. It will get better though.

The longer I have been away from alcohol, which is a brain and nerve poison, the better able I have been to watch my own anxiety attacks arise, fall, and subside. I now trust in them going away more than I did in the past.

That said, in my first and second years of sobriety I realised that I needed prescription medication to manage my anxiety and depression and I never considered that by doing so I was not sober. I stayed diligently focused on my recovery, on Steps 1-2-3 daily, and proceeded to take steps 4 - 7 as soon as I felt able to. At the completion of Step 5 my anxiety attacks diminished to nearly nil.

But to answer your original post, I feel that taking prescription medicine for anxiety and panic disorder may really be beneficial for you, and that it is better sometimes to accept help from a medical doctor than it is to white knuckle it or to suffer needlessly.

as long as you remain honest with yourself and accountable to another human about your use of the medication, and stay openminded to the suggestions of others in sobriety, and are willing to consider trying a combination of things in addition to the lorazepam such as AA meetings, Stepwork, and therapy for ongoing support, you will continue to recover well.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Several people have brought up some good points. Yes, the 12 Steps of AA do help with the anxiety and depression that result from our drinking days. I know working the 12 Steps truly helped me in that area. Unfortunately, I suffer from a chemical depression as well and that combined with PTSD is not something the 12 Steps has been able to remove. But I am grateful for the relief I did get from working them and Mscommunicator is completely correct there is that sigh of relief after that 5th Step and then after ammends even more relief. I strongly suggest that anyone who is trying to get or stay sober work the Steps as they are a great tool especially if they are experiencing any anxiety or depression but also don't be afraid to combine the Steps with a program of therapy, counseling, and/or medication as needed; just be sure you are honest with your physician about your addiction issues.