Notices

I Must Confess, I Want To Drink!

Old 06-13-2008, 12:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
FreeSpirit

Question I Must Confess, I Want To Drink!

I Have to Get Honest With My Self
It's Been Approximately 2-Weeks That
I Been Getting Urges To Drink Specially
Now That The Summer Is Here Is scary Feeling
as I post I could Feel the Dryness of my
Mouth and my Lips Thirsting for a Nice Cold Beer

I'm Very Scare cause I don't feel Strong enough
and is weird cause when I star it my sobriety
only at the beginning I Felt week but Why? Now
Old 06-13-2008, 12:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

((Ms. Butterfly)) Dare I say that the way you are feeling is probably completely normal in the recovery process. The very wise Carol D often says that cravings really only last 5 to 7 minutes each..which is true, it's just difficult when you have several of them over a span of days or weeks. When I feel one coming on, I close my eyes and pray to God to please take the urge to drink from me. And then I make myself remember all of the times I woke up near death or something worse because I chose to drink. There is a reason we are both here on SR and it is because we have problems controlling our alcohol consumption. This means that even that first drink is not an option unless we want to start the descent into hell all over again. I don't and I don't think you do either. Please try to stay strong and keep posting...I hope at least some of what I have said here is helpful. Sending lots of love your way....Fallin
Old 06-13-2008, 12:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Butterfly,

It's the season, you're first Summer with no drinking and let's face it Summer used to be PARTY time! I think you just need to concentrate on making it through each Summer activity without drinking, as you move through them, and your Summer, you will be free of the urge. I kinda got hooked on Smoothie King, Fruit Smoothies, they take a long time to drink and their ice cold! If you feel like you're really in danger call somebody and talk it out, your Sponsor if you have one.

When you start thinking of that ice cold beer remember to think it through.... Will it really end up being one nice cold beer or will you end up flat on your face somewhere or worse? It also helps me to think about how I would feel if I had to start over, I don't want to start from day 1 again. Hope this helps,

John
Old 06-13-2008, 12:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It is ok to want to drink. As an alcoholic/addict sometimes I just want to get messed up. It is not ok to use or drink. I think what your going through in natural and normal. Take a walk, eat a candy bar, take a hot bath. Anything to take your mind off of it. Your doing the right thing by talking about it!
Old 06-13-2008, 01:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's good that you're posting about this Butterfly!

I agree with Tanya - find something to do that takes your mind off drinking, even for a few minutes. It will help!
Old 06-13-2008, 01:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Don't do it, you'll regret it!

I have done the same thing, that one beer turns into two. Then you convince yourself that you can just drink on special occasions, I even joke about it "I'll lift my drinking ban for the weekend" Ha Ha. Before I knew it I was drinking everyday again, and feeling worse and worse about it.

Try to power through the urge, havd a non-alcoholic something. When you wake in the morning, look in the mirror and congratulate yourdself, then write us a note and tell all of us you resisted!!

Be strong, good luck!

Heavy
Old 06-13-2008, 02:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

It is normal to have passing thoughts from time to time. My question--what are you doing as part of your recovery program? Do you go to meetings or have a sponsor...working the steps? If you do go to meetings--when was the last time you went--have you missed any meetings? When I get to feeling uneasy--it's usually cause I haven't been making meetings as I should or kept up with talking to others in recovery. Also, helping others is key to my recovery. When I help someone else--those thoughts about drinking/using disappear....because it helps me get out of "myself" and focus on helping somebody else. :ghug2
Old 06-13-2008, 03:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

how long has it been since you drank one beer and enjoyed it and it had no negative consequences?One beer for me is the start of a vicious cycle.

The more you think about it the more you will want one.
Pray and ask God to remove it and help you and then hit a meeting.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Learn your triggers

people places and things that help prompt this desire in you
Then, do something out of the ordinary.

There's a liquor store on my way from home. Many a day, I'd pull in after work. Until, I read your post, I'd forgot how just driving past the place made my car turn right.

You have to re train your mind !!
Old 06-13-2008, 03:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Read this thread!!!
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...er-saying.html
Old 06-13-2008, 04:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
"Welcome To The Future..."

Fellow Fly-Girl,

Triggers, Triggers, TRIGGERS!!!!
Oh, how we hate them!

I'm sorry you are having a rough time B-7! I hope that with prayer and support this will pass. Someone, previously, pointed out that cravings only last 5-7 minutes. While this may be true, I recently found out for myself that they can recur throughout the day or sometimes even longer. For example, I love to read, so if I can get myself involved in a book, then the craving will pass rather quickly. However, once I start doing something else later on, WHAM! just like that, there it is again! But this doesn't mean you have to give up hope. These occurences usually only happen once in awhile for me, usually when I'm stressed or upset. Getting away from the situation that is causing stress is the best thing to do if it is possible to do so!

Everyone's advice here has been great! I hope you can get some encouragement from me and all of these great people who are rooting for you! Take care sweetie and Stay Strong!!!!

butterfly19

Old 06-13-2008, 04:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BUTTERFLY-7 View Post
I Have to Get Honest With My Self
It's Been Approximately 2-Weeks That
I Been Getting Urges To Drink Specially
Now That The Summer Is Here Is scary Feeling
as I post I could Feel the Dryness of my
Mouth and my Lips Thirsting for a Nice Cold Beer

I'm Very Scare cause I don't feel Strong enough
and is weird cause when I star it my sobriety
only at the beginning I Felt week but Why? Now
Last Thursday night was preparing for the biggest regatta in these parts, an overnight race. Pack foulies, go to grocery store to get finger food for the boat, everyone contributes a little usually. Stop by the beer aisle, maybe get a case for the boat, have that flash, a cold beer would taste really good right about now. Only a millisecond. On second thought, good percentage of these guys are probably A's, do I want to contribute to that? I walk down and get a case of water, always need water on the boat.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
ever closer...

Another great saying I heard that may help you cuz it sure helps me...

You can't be responsible for the thoughts that come into your head but you are responsible for what you do with them!

Last edited by beingjenagain; 06-13-2008 at 06:10 PM. Reason: need to proofread better!!
Old 06-13-2008, 06:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

one thing that really helps me is to watch the show Intervention. After watching it I have no urges to drink at all. I set my Tivo to record all of them so I always have about five episodes waiting for me.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

An Alternative suggestion

The untreated alcoholic mind will always go back to the drink. You appear to be suffering from the mental obsession, craving occurs when alcohol is ingested.

Taking baths and walking,while good for you hygiene and fitness will not keep the obsession to drink at bay forever. I practice the steps as they are laid out in the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous. As a result I no longer think about drinking or not drinking. The problem has been removed. I have alcohol in my home, I go to parties, concerts, and bars to see good music. No temptation, or "triggers" a word that does not appear in my book.

I am not special or particularly unique, I followed a process which has worked for a long time for a lot of people, the 12 steps of AA. I don't know if you go to AA or not, I will be the first to say there are many paths to recovery, find what works for you. I am just sharing my experience. Today I am free. I would want anyone who was still suffering to have this release.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope the desire to drink has passed, or that you aren't bothered by it anymore. We're all here to help you stay sober, so let out your feelings and we'll encourage you to stay sober. We know you want to stay sober so we'll help you do it. And by helping you stay sober we are helping ourselves stay sober too. What a bonus!

:ghug3
Old 06-13-2008, 09:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
FreeSpirit

Thanx's to all of You's who's Supportive me
with Your experience of Strength, and Hope

and to Angelina 243, and every one, Yes I attend
Daily Meetings I Make Both A/A, & N/A,
I Star it a month ago, But then I had landed a job
and it was taking my time, from making meetings
and I left it, so Thursday I Star it my Meetings again

I Don't have a sponsor yet, I'm Looking thats what they say
to take Numbers, and Listen to Learn, from the Old Timers
who have more than 1 year on there belt.

I Don't know who was that had Said, Maybe it could Be Because is my
First Summer been Sober, I Agree I think that plays
a Role in the Urges, and Triggers, that I'm
Confronting.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
DKS
Glad to be here

I'll keep you in my prayers Butterfly. The cravings really do go away eventually and life is so much better. Hang in there, you can do it!
Old 06-14-2008, 02:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi butterfly. I am getting major urges right now as the weather gets better also. But drinking in the summer is the same as drinking in the winter- everytime it leads to trouble. Thinking of you, friend. *hugs*
Old 06-14-2008, 05:48 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Get a sponsor , the wrong one or right one does not matter at this point just get one, you can change later, i f'd up and i do not want you to do the same, just get someone and call them everyday, God speed..........

Take care,
John