Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Does anyone's spouse/significant other/partner drink?

Notices

Does anyone's spouse/significant other/partner drink?

Old 06-13-2008, 10:46 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

The two years I have been sober my wife-to-be has consumed about 1 and a half beers, (give ot take on the half :p)

It would be safe to say that she's not a drinker. The itty bitty handful of times alcohol has passed her lips she asked me if it was going to bother me. (ain't she sweet.) I told her go for it. I'm spiritually fit and could care less if she wants a beer. I'm not going to drink one, well at least not today.

Tom
Old 06-13-2008, 11:48 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I dont have any advice but I kinds sorta understand. I am not married and in fact live alone.... but I can relate. My dearest oldest friend drinks a lot! We have been best friends for 17 years, we live 2 blocks from eachother now and see eachother at least once or twice a week. He drinks. And he drinks very often. He knows I have a problem and has even sat me down to talk about it after I passed out in his back yard after a BBQ this past Summer. His wife also drinks. Most get-togethers involve some sort of beer/wine/crown etc.
He is always inviting me over to watch Baseball, or eat, or somethin or for cards etc. Love him to pieces. But I am starting to feel.........no support. I dont expect him to stop drinking because I have....but I would like some compassion when I'm around. I'm not THAT tuff yet!!!!!!!!
Eventually I know I will be a t a point where it wont bother me....but for now I have distanced myself a bit. Hopefully it doesnt ruin our friendship
Old 06-13-2008, 06:27 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
ever closer...

My DH drinks. He drinks alot and it pisses me off. not so much because I want one but because he doesn't have a clue what being sober is like. i really don't know if he is an alcoholic or not. After 20+ years in the Marine Corps it might just be conditioning but it isn't my worry. Most days I would happily tell him to get the F*#% out but for now I deal with it. He still can't say 'AA meeting' he asks if I am meeting my friends again...whatever. I know I can't make any big changes right now, we have been married for 13 years, so I just grin and bear it and get on the computer. We drank together for over 15 years, he didn't like me as a slobering full time drunk but I don't think he likes this sober person either. unfortunetly my life was unmanageable and I needed to turn it over to a HP to help!! And I am happy about it every day!!
Wishing you the best with your situation and know that you are in no way alone. There is a family and friends forum that is also very good reading!