Notices

Music as a Trigger

Old 06-09-2008, 06:10 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

My perception of (my) drinking changed as I worked the steps and as time passed. Maybe that first step needed to soak in. Don't worry about triggers anymore. Give it time and give it work, that'd be my advice. Not worried about listening to old drinking days music.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:29 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

i can just say that recovery in my life has changed me and so the music i listen too has also changed. its less angry now. and theres a lot more world music and positive stuff. for me, it has a huge impact on how i feel and a great tool to boost my wellbeing.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:30 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

also, songs in my past, not so much "drinking" music, but just my past and a lot of the lyrics were very codependent or bitter and now i choose to not have that energy blasting into my ears or loungeroom.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:39 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

as a musician also in recovery, for me, it took time...

as the many years of the music scene helped lead me to recovery...

i had to do the footwork to enjoy it again, and pick up the sticks (5A Dips)

as the fears of years rescinded, and with the help of takeing the look within...

i'm now able to play in clubs with a whole new attitude towards music... being sober is the best way for me to be connected with all of the music now in my life...

from the Blue Foot Foward Blues Band, to the sunday God Rock Band...

for me, i know now about my tiggers, or used to be ones...

if i'm not inwardly, or i like to say, spiritualy connected, a gnat cound be a trigger...

so i try to maintain daily...

and i got to say, some of the tunes i thought were really great, i think are lousey today!

rock on SR music lovers!

music, as in art, is in the eye of the beholder...

so behold!

Old 06-22-2008, 10:02 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
New things have come to light

I know what you mean. There is one band that I travel and see all over the country. Seen em about 70 times, use to party every time i saw them(drink, drug, you name it) When getting sober and especially early, I didnt go to any of their shows nor did i listen to their live recordings that i have. Every time i heard the music it made me think of eating acid and throwning down beer after beer.... I didnt see them until i was almost 2 years sober and it worked out great. Even walked away saying "why didnt i see these guys sober before?" Now, its all good, dont think so much about "the ol days" and just stay in the moment whenever i see them and enjoy the music. Seeing them next month for 3 nights in Knoxville... Super excited and grateful I can still experience my favorite band and be sober.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:09 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Luckily I've never had this problem LOL.

life without music?
nah.

D
Old 06-23-2008, 09:26 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

You know one of the neater things about music and sobriety is, songs I thought I knew every word to for years, it turns out I didn't!!!! Any one else experience this.