Notices

Made it thru Day 38!

Old 06-03-2008, 11:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Made it thru Day 38!

Been sober for over a month now and it's been nice these past couple of weeks. Still suffering with boredom and the occasional urge for 'just a lil' cocktail, but I've been making it through without going down that dark path again. But..................

Question:

Is it absolutely necessary to attend AA or get a sponsor if I've quit on my own and managed to stay sober this long alone? Are there some of you here who have been sober a long time (1 or more years) and successful all on your own? What is the percentage of people who have taken this in their own hands and succeeded? Sorry if these questions seem stupid. Just wanted to know...
Old 06-04-2008, 12:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

well done!!

Well done Daff....fantastic stuff....I bet you feel good.
I don't know the answer to your question because I haven't been sober that long.
I would hope the answer would be yes...and am quite sure it will be. That old phrase 'horses for courses' springs to mind. If I can, I will carry on on my own....just checking in here for support every now and then. Simply by puting things into writing....either questions or attempts to answer questions makes things clearer in my head...and consequently makes my resolve stronger.
I look forward to hearing what people more experienced than myself have to say.
Well done again!!!!!!!
kind regards
benjamin
Old 06-04-2008, 01:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sobrierty, that's great news

For me personally, I've been sober 6 months and did it alone for the first 3.5 months before going to AA. I think you can only go so long before you realise that you do need to do the steps and read your BB. As for the meetings, for me I find they are great if they are talking about the BB but when they sit and moan about how their life is crap, for the entire meeting and it turns the newcomer off from ever coming again, then I don't feel like going.

You can't heal a sick mind with a sick mind.

I'm so glad I found my HP when I did otherwise I'd be back drinking now, I am more than sure of it.

Hang in there, do what you feel is best for you
p.s. there are no stupid questions.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Is it absolutely necessary to attend AA or get a sponsor if I've quit on my own and managed to stay sober this long alone?
Everyone is different, so there is no real straight forward answer to that question, for me it did take going to AA, getting a sponsor, and working the steps. Some folks just go to meetings, get a sponsor and never work the steps, others just go to meetings and that is all they need to stay sober.

AA saved my life, but there are other programs out there that do work if worked for some folks. No program works for everyone!

Some folks just put the plug in the jug and are able to move on with their lifes, others develop their own means of staying sober.

There is one gentleman on here that stayed sober for years with no program at all, but came into AA and worked the steps in order to find peace in his life.

There is no pat answer for your question, life would be easier if there was.

The primary secret IMHO to staying sober is a willingness to do what ever it takes to get and stay sober no matter what.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Congratulations on your month + 8! That's awesome.

If you can stay sober and happy without attending AA, I can't see how it would be absolutely necessary to attend AA. On the other hand, if you find yourself drunk again a couple of months from now... but

I wouldn't trade the changes that have happened in my life as a result of my commitment to the AA program for anything. AA is not for everyone, but it was for me. Very much for me.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good for you...
And your questions are not stupid at all.

As each study done on per centages
has it's own standard to measure success..
I certinaly don't consider any of them accurate.

Of course...one can stay sober without using a
structured program of recovery.
however... why not explore all your possibilities?

Why do I attend AA?
I am a better person by using the program.
It's an awesome adventure ...

Forward we go..side by side
Old 06-04-2008, 05:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi, I only have 10.5 mths this time around, but here is what i've expereinced adn seen

There seem to be alot of people here at SR that have gotten sober and happy without any formal program. And in "real life" i run into people who have seemed to be able to also.

For me, it seems to take AA and my personal spriitual path to stay sober and mostly happy. If I take away either componant I seem to suffer more problems.

Try out some different things with an open mind and see if they add to your sobriety or increase your sense of stablility in life.

Congrads on a great job!
Old 06-04-2008, 08:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by daffodil75 View Post

Question:

Is it absolutely necessary to attend AA or get a sponsor if I've quit on my own and managed to stay sober this long alone? Are there some of you here who have been sober a long time (1 or more years) and successful all on your own? What is the percentage of people who have taken this in their own hands and succeeded? Sorry if these questions seem stupid. Just wanted to know...
In many cases (such as mine) clean time does not equal recovery.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Daf,

I'll be at 2 months this weekend, without AA. I don't even think about drinking at this point. (though I do have to watch the initial carb/potato chip pig out when I first walk in the door ;-)

I'm a born again Christian of many years, so THAT'S my program. Contrary to other's complaints, AA was NOT spiritual ENOUGH for me ;-). I started "recovery" with a giant step 12 (conversion) at 19 yrs old, 36 yrs ago, and have been more or less working the biblically based 12 steps from that point on. My program/pilgrimage is following Jesus.

I also like what someone said above:
You can't heal a sick mind with a sick mind.
I would still like to go to a meeting someday, as I have a feeling the HONESTY there far superceeds what is practiced in most churches.

All the best,
Old 06-04-2008, 10:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello,

I believe it can be done with out A.A. but why would you want to? I have found great support, a new way of living and new friends at A.A. that I certainly would NEVER have found if I hadn't summoned up the courage to get my anti-social self to a meeting. Don't cheat yourself.

John
Old 06-04-2008, 10:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
ever closer...

Like tommy said there is a difference between being dry and being sober. I was dry for 4 months about 3 years ago but I wasn't happy. Today I am almost 2 months but feel a serenity and sobriety that i didn't have before because of AA.
Our thoughts that we didn't need any help to do anything got many of us into this alcoholic trap in the first place.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for all of your replies... I've been thinking about this for a while now and just may go to AA since recently moved to another state. Years ago, I tried to quit and went to an AA meeting in northern Florida and it left a sour taste in my mouth. It seems I was the only one there by choice and everyone else was there by law b/c of court orders. It seemed to be full of cigarette smoke and depressed people. At the time, I was thinking "I'd rather drink than be this miserable!". But now since reading posts here, I realize that particular group may not have been the norm...

One thing that is helping me stay sober at the moment is cleansing my body with the raw vegan diet. May seem extreme to some, but I've been a veg head for years. After abusing my body so intensely with alcohol, I've found the cleansing and super nutrients to be so effective with clearing cravings, depression, weight gain, sleep problems, infections, acne, etc. It's also leading way to emotional/spiritual matters. But never the less, it may do me some good to try a meeting in this area and not feel so alone...
Old 06-05-2008, 04:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

daffodil before you go to a meeting call your local AA hotline, there are meetings like what you described in a lot of places, there are certain meetings that for what ever reason seem to attract those folks that are court ordered to go to meetings.

Call the hotline and tell then what you experienced before and ask them for some meetings with a good deal of sobriety. We have a meeting in my area like what you described, one reason I think it draws the court ordered folks is it's location, it is centrally located and easy to find.